Lilac Bush Not Blooming

My lilac bush is 2 years old. It buds, but never blooms. What fertilizer should I be using? It's 3 ft. tall and I have never pruned it. It gets partial sun. What should I do to fix the problem?

By Nancy from PA

Lilac Bush Not Blooming

Flower buds or leaf buds? Lilacs take several years to get to blooming size. Don't give up. They do flower best in full sun, so if you could move it this spring while it is still fairly small you'll be better off in the long run. You will probably sacrifice a year or two more of bloom while it adjusts to the move, though. (01/29/2010)

By Contester

Lilac Blooming
Lilac Not Blooming
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes