Litter Box Training

Does anyone have any tips on litter box training a new kitten. My daughter just got a new kitten and is having problems getting him to go in the litter box.

Eleanor

Answers:

Litter Box Training

Just take the kitten and put it in to the litter box and take its paw and move it around in the litter. (07/22/2005)

By pain of payment

Litter Box Training

Some kittens are just pickier about where they go than others. Make sure the box is kept very clean and that the placement of the box affords enough privacy for the kitty. Hope this helps. (07/23/2005)

By mrsloo

Litter Box Training

Keep taking the kitten to the box, putting kitty in the litter, sitting and waiting till he/she does the right thing. I make sure the bathroom door is closed so kitty feels secure. Tell kitty, good boy/girl in a soothing voice. After a while you shouldn't have to close the door anymore, stay there, or even take kitty, he/she will just go. If this doesn't work, try switching brands or types of litter, kitties can be fussy. If kitty makes an accident elsewhere, put that accident into the box to aid litter training. (07/24/2005)

Litter Box Training

Also, make sure that the litter box is not near the kitten's food. They don't like to potty near where they eat. (07/25/2005)

By MissyD

Litter Box Training

I just trained to 2 kittens and this is how I did it. It took about 3 days to get them to go in on their own. Everytime they woke up I picked them up and put them in there and wiggled my finger in the litter to get them to scratch it. Then I would let them leave the box on their own. Then during play I would stick them in the box and wiggle my finger again. Shortly after they ate or drank anything I would do the in the box routine. After everytime they went I would say good kitty then let them get out on their own. I would clean it as soon as they got out so that next time they went in it they wouldn't come out with something stuck to there feet.

Then if I left the house or went to bed, I would close them in the bathroom with the litter box. Then when they were in there and I came home or got up and they had used the litter with no accidents I knew it was working. When they have the whole house to run they kind of lose where they are at and how far it is to find the potty. So if you just put them in there whenever you get up or move around they will get the gist of things. It took about 3 days to be sure they had it. This worked for me. Good luck. (01/10/2006)

jen

By jennma521