Browsing: Living on a Fixed Income

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Living on a Fixed Income

Living comfortably within your means can be accomplished by being smart with your resources. This guide is about living on a fixed income.

Hand Holding $100 Bill

August 29, 2010 Flag

I am in financial crisis. After I am out this situation, how do I budget my fixed income so that every need is met?

By Victoria from Portsmouth, VA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Before making any nonessential purchases in any given month, take care of paying your mandatory expenses. The first bills you should pay each month include your mortgage or rent, prescription refills, utilities, food, and health insurance. Until those expenses are taken care of, you shouldn't spend part of your monthly income on anything else.

Check to see if you are eligible for help paying for your groceries and utilities. If not, there are many sites on the internet that show you how to save money in these areas. Two of my favorites are: www.livingonadime.com, and www.hillbillyhousewife.com. Good luck!

I think it's important to note that after paying essentials, you must put some money away monthly for your yearly bills, like property or personal property taxes, insurance on you home, renter's insurance, car insurance, etc, if you have them. After that, comes the nonessentials. You also have to realize that you may not have enough money left over to cover your wants. If not, cut back in all possible areas: drop cable, cell phones, cut back on groceries, turn the air conditioner or furnace setting, pull plugs and turn off lights, plant a garden in the spring, repurpose anything you can think of, etc. You will need to build a contingency fund for emergencies, like medical bills. Your attitude is aslo important--think of it as an adventure, not a chore.

Back in 1967, when we were trying to raise six kids and remodel a 100-year-old house that needed everything, I started a method of budgeting that I still use. It has served me extremely well. I used to do it in a notebook, but now use Quicken, which is both faster and more accurate. If you want a detailed description, email me and I'll write it up for you. Either way, good luck! --sarsi

I've been living on an essentially fixed income for 7+ years now. First I started finding creative ways to cut back on expenses. (For example, I reduced our auto coverage from full to liability because we can get our car fixed for pennies compared to the insurance carrier's recommended auto shop.) Then I found a part-time job I can do from home to supplement my income. It isn't a lot, but the little bit I make helps. Now that hubby is getting a glimmer of how tough it is to make ends meet and that I physically can't handle a 2nd job, he's agreed to cut back on borrowing. (Finally!)

One thing I do is, when any money arrives in my checking account, I shift it straight to savings until I actually need to spend it. It may earn me less than $1 a month, but when you're as poor as we are, pennies count. Speaking of pennies, I collect those, too. When my little penny bank gets full, I take it to my credit union's CoinStar machine. Those pennies have helped us get by until payday more than once.

Do try very hard to stay away from payday lenders. It's a vicious cycle and nearly impossible to escape. Keep a close eye on your checking balance and avoid insufficient-funds charges. That alone will save you quite a bit, as will paying all your bills on time. Late fees are awful, and they sure don't help your credit score!

Read More Answers...
Budget & Finance AdviceNovember 20, 2012
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
A young girl holding a gift.
Saving Money on Gifts for Grandchildren
Low Income Senior Applying for Grant
Grants for Low Income Seniors
Single Income Mom
Single Income Living
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:49:00 AM on 10.0.0.69 in 589 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.