Browsing: Camping Recipes

Looking for Camping Tips and Recipes

I am new to camping and i need camping tips. We have a small travel trailer. I am looking for tips on how to make camping easier and outdoor cooking tips and recipes.

Owen

Answers:

Coleman Stove and Lantern

Two things I love to take camping is a Coleman gas camp stove and a Coleman lantern. The ones I've used take Coleman fuel, much like unleaded gas for autos (but don't try to cheap out and substitute). Also a decent manual coffee pot, a couple of good sharp knives, a couple of pots and a skillet. If you plan to hike to your campsite these things may not be useable for you.

One suggestion is to carry a notepad and pen in your pocket for a day or two at home and jot down things you use that you just don't want to be without. Also consider where you plan to camp and what you can expect to be available there. Is there a good water source? If not either carry your own or bring some purification tablets with you. Alternately you can boil available water before use if you're not sure about it.

There are lots of variables depending on where you are going, how you get there, and how long you plan to stay. Two things I always bring are containers (plastic bags, etc.) to take my trash away in, and a good pistol. If it was an area one might expect to encounter bears and such I'd also have a good rifle. (09/07/2004)

By Alph

Toilet Paper

Oh, I forgot to mention: if you're really out in the sticks there won't be an outhouse. I'd suggest bringing a roll or two of toilet paper and a small camp shovel. Happy camping! (09/07/2004)

By Alph

Eggs in a Bag

Do a lot of your prep work at home like cutting onions and salad fixings. Pre-make it if you can,so you can spend more time with family. A good First Aide kit. And a small tool box with a hammer, rope, batteries duct tape. etc.

Eggs in a bag: The kids like doing this. Take no more than two eggs,
cut up fixings like bacon, onion, grated cheese. Squeeze most of the air out without squeezing the egg mixture out. Zip the bag squish the eggs and fixings together and drop in a rolling boil pot full of water. Check after 2 minutes and each minute after. (09/07/2004)

By c4hobbs

Soap and Shampoo

Depending on the shower available to you, you may want to get a plastic container with a handle on it to store your shampoos, soap, etc. all in one container for everyone to be able to carry back and forth to the showers. I bought one at Dollar General for $1. You may be able to get a clearance sand bucket this time of year as well. (09/07/2004)

By Jill

Recipe Sites

Owen,

Although I don't camp, a quick search of the Internet found the following.

For general information, as well as recipes, check out Camping From David Sweet, Your Guide to Camping at http://camping.about.com/

For more recipes, check out the following:

Camp Recipes
http://www.camprecipes.com/

RecipeSource Camping Recipes
http://www.recipesource.com/misc/camping/

Camping Recipes - From The Camping Source
http://www.thecampingsource.com/Delicious_recipes.htm

Happy Camping,
Kathy (09/07/2004)

By FlaKathy

Shish-k-bobs

My sister and I go camping a lot with our horses, so there's not a lot of time to make dinner when you gotta feed the critters too. One thing I've found that helps a lot is pre-cutting onions and pre-cooking meat. We like shish-k-bobs a lot, and I've found you can cut up the peppers, onions, mushrooms and meat and pour over store-bought "30 minute marinade" and put that in the tupperware in the freezer. The ingredients marinate while defrosting, but it also helps keep the other things in the cooler cold for a day or two.

Don't leave home without bug spray, hammer or hacksaw.

I've also found camping showers (probably on clearance at this time of year) helps not only yourself, but I'm sure those around you appreciate it too. Water heats by the sun's light. (09/08/2004)

By judgej

Buy Food Locally

I have spent a lot of time camping and of course there are many ways to help your stay be enjoyable. The tips about prep with food are some of the best ideas. What we do is buy everything at your local stores, it will be more expensive to run to a store while camping. I them separate all the meats into meal size baggies and freeze them separately. Aluminum foil can be your best friend. You can make meal packets, and just throw them onto the fire. I always bring some type of grill rack, to cook over the fire pit. I used to take my oven rack, as I used to be really broke. Cook with charcoal and then have your bonfire started over the hot coals. Also keep meals simple, you are camping after all. And as always, enjoy yourselves, and be careful. (09/08/2004)

Making Toast

For making toast over a gas or coleman stove... Cut both ends off a coffee can, cover one end with foil, place a small grill from a toaster oven over top, slice some holes/strips in the tin foil and put your toast on top (one or two at a time) Turn your stove on to medium and turn the bread with a fork until it's nicely toasted. Unless you don't watch it, you'll have perfect toast.( (07/12/2005)

By gouligann

A pot cooking over a fire.
Camping Recipes
Children Laughing in Campground
Camping with Children
Cleaning a Tent, Tent in wet conditions
Cleaning a Tent
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain
Orange camping tent pitched near a mountain lake.
Tent Camping Tips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 2, 2016 at 6:05:16 PM on 10.0.2.178 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.