Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

I need low protein dog food recipes for a dog with kidney failure. I appreciate the help, my neighbor cannot keep paying the price for the dog food from the vet. Thanks in advance.

Susan from Hamilton, Ontario

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

This site has easy recipes for food that supports dogs with kidney problems: caninekidneyhealth.com They also sell products to support dogs' health and have some miracle stories, but the recipes for supportive dog food are free.

By Christine

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

Hill's Dog food has this home-made recipe for Canine Restricted Protein Diet:

• 1/4 lb ground beef (do not use lean ground chuck)
  • 2 cups cooked white rice (No salt added)
  • 1 hard cooked egg (finely chopped)
  • 3 slices white bread crumbled
  • 1 tsp calcium carbonate (Tums tablet)

Cook beef in skillet, stirring til lightly browned. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. This mixture is rather dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water, not milk. Keep covered in refrigerator.

Feeding guide:

• 5 lbs 1/4 pound
  • 10 lbs 1/2 pound
  • 20 lbs 1 pound
  • 40 lbs 1 1/2 pound
  • 60 lbs 2 pounds
  • 80 lbs 2 1/2 pound
  • 100 lbs 3 pounds

I rescue Shih Tzus with major health problems and have used Hill's homemade diets for years with good results. (05/25/2008)

By JoanDogs

RE: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

My 2 dogs have kidney disease, and I had trouble paying the cost of the prescription dog food, too. My vet gave me a copy of the homemade food listed in this message board. (cooked hamburger and rice, bread, 1 egg) And I alternate between that and the Hill's KD. Sometimes my dogs won't eat one or the other, so I alternate when they get fussy. It's a cheaper way to go, since you can't use good beef, it has to be the greasy cheap stuff like ground chuck or hamburger meat. Apparently, the leaner the meat, the more protein it has. So you have to go with the cheaper fatty meat for low protein diets. (02/17/2009)

By sandpines

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes
low salt recipes
Low Sodium Recipes
High Protein Bread Recipes
High Protein Bread Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes