Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

A white dog waiting for dinner.
If your vet has recommended a low protein diet for your dog, you can either purchase commercial food or make your own. This page contains low protein dog food recipes.

My 4.5 pound Yorkie is on a low protein diet. Does anyone have some dog food recipes?

By Barbara from Grapevine, TX

Answers

Best Answer

You might want to check with your Vet. Three years ago my rescue female Doberman went into liver failure, a month after I adopted her. After 3 days in ICU, she is fine but on a very limited diet. The doctor put her on Hill's Science Diet l/d (liver diet). I am allowed to put a small amount of boiled boneless, skinless chicken breasts on top of the l/d. Otherwise, she is not supposed to have any protein.

I need recipes for low protein dog food and low protein treats for dogs. This would be for small dogs, less than 5 lbs.

By 2Yorkiez from Katy, TX

Answers:

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

Hills makes a prescription line of low protein dog food available from the vet. (11/29/2009)

By veda815

I need low protein dog food recipes for a dog with kidney failure. I appreciate the help, my neighbor cannot keep paying the price for the dog food from the vet. Thanks in advance.

Susan from Hamilton, Ontario

Answers:

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

This site has easy recipes for food that supports dogs with kidney problems: caninekidneyhealth.com They also sell products to support dogs' health and have some miracle stories, but the recipes for supportive dog food are free.
(05/21/2008)

By Christine

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

Hill's Dog food has this home-made recipe for Canine Restricted Protein Diet:

Cook beef in skillet, stirring til lightly browned. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. This mixture is rather dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water, not milk. Keep covered in refrigerator.

Feeding guide:

I rescue Shih Tzus with major health problems and have used Hill's homemade diets for years with good results. (05/25/2008)

By JoanDogs

RE: Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

Low Protein Dog Food Recipes

My 2 dogs have kidney disease, and I had trouble paying the cost of the prescription dog food, too. My vet gave me a copy of the homemade food listed in this message board. (cooked hamburger and rice, bread, 1 egg) And I alternate between that and the Hill's KD. Sometimes my dogs won't eat one or the other, so I alternate when they get fussy. It's a cheaper way to go, since you can't use good beef, it has to be the greasy cheap stuff like ground chuck or hamburger meat. Apparently, the leaner the meat, the more protein it has. So you have to go with the cheaper fatty meat for low protein diets. (02/17/2009)

By sandpines