Machine Embroidery Tips and Tricks

Category Embroidery
Machine Embroidery
Beautiful designs can be added to clothing and linens with this tool. This guide contains machine embroidery tips and tricks.

If you have an embroidery machine, don't buy that expensive backing. When I bought mine, the man told me to just go to the dollar store, buy some cheap coffee filters, and press them out. They work great!

By roseoma3 from Liberal, MO

It's hard to find a stabilizer for machine embroidery on black and navy fabrics. I've found that weed barrier cloth (landscaping fabric) which is black in color works great and is both cheap and sturdy. If you need it thicker simply double the thickness. It also works for interfacing on dark fabrics when sewing garments. It's made to withstand the weather so it's great in the wash!

By Cyinda

While looking for some nice embroidery patterns on the net I realized, that some very beautiful ones I had found and copied in my files, were coloring pages. You can set them and print them any size and directly put them under the foot of a sewing machine to embroider a tablecloth or anything else.

For machine embroidery, purchase an applique pattern then use your scraps of ribbon by weaving it then use it as a base. You could even use bias binding.

By Jackie from Adelaide. S.A.

"Sewing-machine embroidery can put your unique mark of creativity on almost anything you make: clothing, table linens, towels, hats, totes, and many other items. It is fun, creative, and easy to do. It is also lots faster than hand embroidery." - College of Agriculture and Home Economics New Mexico State University

I have a Brother PE500 that I use to make embroidery patches. When I look at the design, it looks fine, but when I cut it out and look at it on the backside, it looks like the design has shifted and is warped. Instead of a perfect circle, the patch is slightly shifted towards the right making it an oval shape.

I am not sure if it's the stabilizer I'm using (medium tear away), something I'm doing wrong in digitizing the design, or if it is a problem with hooping. I tried placing the design dead center instead of adjusting the placement, but the design still shifts towards the right.

Any ideas what it could be? Thanks!

By Alice

I have a Brother SE270D & a Brother SE750D. I have been a proud owner of the 270D since it came out & the 750D since 2007 or 2008 (I believe) & I love them to death. I've been sewing for over 40 years & embroidered by hand until I couldn't see to thread the needle or where to put the needle for the next titch.

The problem you are having sounds to me like when you place your fabric in the hoop you aren't putting it in straight & are pulling one side tighter than the other or at an angle. This is basically the same as when you lay out a regular sewing pattern for a garment - follow arrows to set your pattern on the material with the weave straight so that the garment will hang straight when you wear it. You definitely don't want to pull it too tight. Look at the weave... it will show you.

I found out the hard way when I 1st started machine embroidery that you have to be very careful even when you are embroidering something as simple as a patch. My solution to some of the problem is that I use different weights of sticky backed stabilizer on everything! - well, except for the most fragile of fabrics.

This is mainly because sometimes your hoop & or fabric does slip when it is fabric alone with a non-sticky, lightweight stabilizer. It looks okay in the hoop because it is stretched out but once it is out of the hoop then it looks warped. Using a sticky stabilizer & laying the fabric down straight usually solves the problem because you don't have to pull the fabric.

I just bought a new Brother SE-270D combination sewing and embroidery machine and I have used the embroidery machine and love the results. Right now I have only done names with regular colored thread. I want to purchase embroidery threads and saw that there are lots of different kinds that give different looks.

While searching on eBay I saw what's called twist embroidery machine thread which said it gives a 3D look. Can someone who has used this type please provide a picture of something they have embroidered so that I can see what that actually looks like when finished please? And also any helpful advice as to the best type threads to use for embroidering would be appreciated as well. Thank you in advance.

Julie

I've been thinking about buying the Brother 270-D embroidery/sewing machine for over 2 years now. I have decided against it because I've read EVERY review I could find from customers who have purchased the machine. From what I've read, I've found that everyone is THRILLED with the machine & how it works in the beginning, but that there's a reason it's priced so reasonably, & that's because it doesn't hold up. I'm posting the review sites for you to read. After reading them, you may want to return the machine & save your money for a better model (like one person recommends) or the reviews may just convince you how important it is to send in all your registration papers. Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest "Brother" fan out there & own 2 Brother machines. It's a great company. But be super careful of the 270-D, as the plastic thread holder breaks easily, never force them & the self-threader can stop working & I've read there's way to manually thread it...

* Remember most of the $299 models are "reconditioned". That means they were returned to the company (with a problem), then repaired by Brother & resold (usually without a warranty).

BROTHER 270-D REVIEWS: (go to the very bottom of the page for reviews)

http://www.epin … display_~reviews

http://www.amaz … onDateDescending

http://www.over … ct.html#moreinfo

---> It seems people either LOVE the machine or HATE the machine, there's really no middle ground. I have decided to save my money & buy a better embroidery machine. But, for now I recently purchased the computerized Brother BC-1000, it's not an embroidery machine but it does have 100 different stitches & a self threader (which I LOVE!). Plus, it only cost $149 (on sale) at Target.. Target has a great 90 day return policy. I guess if you buy the Brother 270-D knowing it will just be for temporary light weight use, then you'd be informed & not think you wasted your money.

---> As far as your original question about Twist Embroidery Machine Thread: I've heard this type of thread breaks easier & is harder to use. Maybe it would be better for you as a beginner to stick with an easier to use thread. Or, maybe buy just one spool & see how it works in your machine.

Would anyone have or know where I can get embroidery hoops for a Singer rxl-100?

By Angela N.

The needle on my Scandinavia 400 machine moved while embroidering, and it now hits the metal plate. I can' figure out how to move it back. The manual isn't very helpful.

By Linda M