Mackerel Recipes

Category Fish
Mackerel
Mackerel is not only inexpensive, but it also contains Omega 3 fatty acids and other valuable nutrients. This page contains mackerel recipes.

I make salmon gravy with mackerel. First make your gravy and debone the mackerel. Use your hands and break the mackerel up and add to the gravy. You can use the juice too but I do not like to use it. My family grew up on what they call salmon gravy. it was really mackerel gravy and they love it. Served with hot biscuits is great.

Anna Marie

Can mackerel be used instead of herring in sour cream? Is there a recipe?

Without putting a lot of extra thought into it, I would say 'why not'? Is there any reason why mackerel would be unacceptable instead of herring? I feel like at some level 'fish is fish' and you could even use salmon if you wish.

If mackerel and herring are similar fishes (IE similar fat content, density, etc) then you would just replace one with the other. I did a cursory look on google and saw nothing that indicated tht they should be cooked or treated differently.

Mackerel is very fishy. It's also mushier. If these things don't bother you then do it.

I am looking for a recipe for a popular breakfast called German creamed mackerel.

By The Bear