Magic Jack Reviews

Using your computer for telephone services may save you money. This guide contains Magic Jack reviews.

January 21, 2010 Flag

I bought the Magic Jack telephone device about a month ago. It is great and I am no longer paying out a monthly telephone bill. It costs $40.00 to buy and the first year is included in the purchase price. After that, it's $20.00 per year. No monthly phone bill.

You need a computer because that provides your connection. It connects to a USB port on your computer and the telephone connects into the device. You have long distance and the caller's number shows on your computer screen. You can also put in names and numbers of family and friends just like a regular telephone.

I think this is great and it saves you so much money. I was paying $45.00 every month for my house phone and I didn't have long distance. This is wonderful for anyone looking for ways to control their monthly expenses. With the costs of everything lately and so much unemployment, this could be a big help to many.

Source: Magic Jack TV ad

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is the worst service I have ever had. My Magic Jack was broken. I called to ask for replacement. After long time on hold (about 1 hour) the representative confirmed the replacement within 3-5 days and I have to pay $20. After 7 days I didn't receive it. I chat again with a representative who discovers a mistake from their side. The representative was extremely impolite, she never answered quickly and left me for 15 minutes before answering my questions. She refused to place my replacement in a hurry, not even offering to not pay the $20. She refused to transfer me to any manager (saying this is the policy). I already spent a lot of money for not having a phone for 1 week and now I have to wait for another week because it's their mistake and I'll pay for this service, $20 + tax.

What professional service!

October 30, 2012 Flag

I am thinking about buying a Magicjack. Can anyone let me know if you would buy it again?

By Irmi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Absolutely recommend a Magic Jack as long as you have a high speed internet connection. The standard Magic Jack requires a computer with a USB port to work but the "Plus" can be used as a stand alone device that allows you to plug your phone into the box or will also work directly off of a USB port of your computer the choice is yours.

I purchased the MagicJack a year ago, just sorry I waited so long. Initally I had a problem hooking it up without my computer, contacted customer service and in no time I was up and running. Since then haven't had one problem, no different in sound quality, etc. from the years I had Time-Warner.

I have had MagicJack Plus for a year and like it very much. Quality is good and like having no monthly Phone bills. No sound quality loss at all.

Previously had MagicJack but did not like leaving the computer on all the time.

January 21, 2010 Flag

Is Magic Jack worthwhile?

Thanks.

Chuck

Answers:

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I bought the Magic Jack, and promptly took it back after only a week! The reception on my phone was terrible using it. Plus every time an email or an IM or anything else came through my computer the person I was talking to could hear it, to the point that he couldn't hear me! Plus if my computer even slowed down, I'd lose phone service. It was absolutely terrible!

If you do decide to get one, get it from Radio Shack. They were real nice about taking it back and giving me all of my money back. (07/23/2009)

By Cricketnc

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I am on my second year of using the MJ. I learned how to adjust the volume and speaker and have no problems hearing anyone. One thing I have noticed, at high internet usage times it cuts out sometimes, other than that no problems (07/24/2009)

By panamapam

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

Before you purchase this product, check their FAQ's section regarding what area codes are available. I live in Washington state and was given an Alabama area code! The only person I spoke with on it was my daughter who has one also so doesn't pay for long distance calls. MJ says that more area codes will become available and there is the possibility of being able to "port" your current home phone number to MJ. In the meantime I've unhooked my unit until they fulfill their promises. The reception was great the few time we spoke, though. (07/27/2009)

By catcrony

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I took it with me when I went to Dubai and Kuwaut in Dec 2008, it worked great, saved me tons of money on LD, I bought another unit and gave to my sister in Dubai, I call her on it and she calls me all the time, saves us the ld charges. (07/29/2009)

By soloenme

Magic Jack Annoying popup ads

I found a great little program that hides the Magic Jack screen and still allows you to use your phone. It stops those infuriating popup ads and the little clicking sound that goes with them. You can enable/disable this program anytime you like. Its called "magichide" Do a google search for download - It's FREE! :) (09/26/2009)

By peteosco

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I purchased one just a few months ago. And it seems to work fine. When someone is using the internet and opens a new page it may have a pause in the conversation, but other than that it works great. The connection is great. (01/07/2010)

By brayj

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any experience with that phone service which uses an internet connection to work? It costs only a $20.00 annual fee. I think its called Smart Jack or Phone Jack. It sounds too good to be true!

By Angolamom from Lewes, DE

Answers:

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

Yep, I have one and like it. I do have a few problems every now and then but mostly when the other person is on a cell phone and they are moving or in a car, otherwise it's well worth it. They are now selling them at Wal-Mart.
(05/11/2009)

By LULUbobo

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I have one and have had it for almost a year. It's worth the $20. You get so much more than your moneys worth. I travel outside the US and it works excellently as long as the dsl connection is strong. My problem has been that it is choppy outside the US, but worth every penny. (05/18/2009)

By Ummzubair

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I have one and love it. We only have cell phones so this is great. You can even set it to forward unanswered calls to another number if you want. The cost is so worth every penny. (05/19/2009)

By towersmom

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

This post is a bit off topic, but I thought I would insert into the discussion, just as food for thought. I think it is important to have a land line to your home for safety reasons. It costs very little to have one phone that isn't cordless, so that you can phone when there is a power outage (I spent a pleasant hour on the phone chatting to my mom in a winter evening power outage). Of course, you can call on your cell phone then, but what if your phone is low on charge? Or the outage lasts more than a few hours? No phone.

Cell phones towers can become overloaded in an emergency, and then you cannot make your call. This never happens with a land line. I didn't realize that this could happen, until a major blizzard in nearby city, and everyone was using their phones at the same time. No phone.

I also know there is some issue with 911 service on the internet phone service. I have forgotten the details on this, just that you couldn't call 911.

As far as free long distance, I have used both MSN and Yahoo on a regular basis (and have friends who use Skype) for voice calls computer to computer, and am completely satisfied with this. I have not used it phone to computer, so I can't say anything about that. (05/19/2009)

By louel53

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I agree with louel53 you need to have at least one phone with a line for safety. Sometimes cell phones can't be counted on in an emergency, plus you need to be sure and not forget to charge your phone. (05/19/2009)

By Teresa Kay

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I have MagicJack and like it very much. Certainly well worth the $20 a year to me. Your computer has to be on but you can forward calls from MagicJack to any number and turn off your computer. It has free info and all services such as call waiting etc. It is not a rip off in my opinion, as some have said. (05/19/2009)

By lavonneann

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I used my magic jack here in the Philippines and it is good. I found a way to hack magic jack without the need for the usb device itself. I can use magic jack always and not needing the usb dongle.

I have to test it on another computer and I put my magic jack on usb and give it to my friends if they want to call in the US and Canada. It is simple to use. My aunt gave it to my uncle and I have been using it and hack the magic jack so he could use that also.

I will keep you posted if the hack works because it works for me in my computer, Vista sp2. The call and voice quality is superb and brilliant and clear as the original. I am looking forward that it will work on my other computer and on the usb. (07/04/2009)

By King_2305

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 11, 2009 Flag

Has anyone tried the magicJack? It's the jack that plugs into the computer with a USB connection, and costs only $20 a year for use. I'm saving up for one, but don't like surprises with new equipment. Thanks.

Polly

Answers:

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

Yeah! It's rip city stay away. No good, you may get up to triple charges, too. (01/29/2009)

By Ray M.

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

As far as I've heard in the majority of cases it's not worth the trouble and could end up costing you much more in time, money and frustration. Save the $20.00 a year initial fee for something else. (01/30/2009)

By Deeli

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I bought one and completed maybe a dozen calls with it. The performance was just so-so. After that it quit working. My advice? Don't buy it! (01/30/2009)

By slowbob

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I have a neighbor who sets up cellular phone systems in other countries. He's the one who turned us on to magicJack. As he is a phone techie, he installed ours, which may be why some people have issues (improper installation or computer equipment). My husband has used it from China, Mexico, and South America, as well as locally. It works great. We only had one password issue that was quickly handled by their rep.

We love ours so much we are considering buying another to use as our main phone. (We currently pay $50.00 a month using an internet phone system. Why not pay $20.00 for the year for the magicJack.) (02/04/2009)

Magic jack is perfect for me

I bought it and sent it to Europe. I love it. I talk to people there for free, and also they can call in Europe which is very cheap. Just to put 5 dollars on it. A lot of people have it in my country. I think it's perfect. (02/05/2009)

By Lidra

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

My mom bought this for my son for Christmas. He is deployed to Iraq and what a blessing the magicJack has been. He is half way around the world in Iraq and I get to talk to him anytime I want. We all love it! (02/05/2009)

By Noon

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

We heard about this from my mom and we speak to her twice a week. It is awesome. My parents are computer illiterate and they manage it just fine. We live in NH, and do not use one for home only because there is no NH area code. We did buy one for our 14 year old! What a money saver! He loves it and it works great! (02/07/2009)

By DATJ

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I discontinued a $41/month Frontier phone at my home. The whole family had cells anyway. Magic Jack works well for us and we have wired the whole house off of the one jack. I think some people may have problems related to their areas of residence. I suspect some discouraging reports come from competitors of the product who don't want you to buy it. Try it and see if it works for you. (02/09/2009)

By Big Head

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I used it two times then it just stopped working. I sent a message to them four times and they have not gotten back with me. They leave you no way to contact them. Paid two years in advance and got screwed. Bob (02/11/2009)

By Bob

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I dumped my land line and have a cell and the magicJack. It's great when it works. You can not get charged triple the charges as some one suggested. You pay your yearly and the calls are free. The quality of service seems to have a lot (and I mean everything) to do with the quality of your ISP. My current provider is TW and they suck, so my calls get dropped. I have to unplug and reconnect, etc., but where else can you talk across country in the middle of the work day for nothing? I'm hanging on and hoping tech improvements make this a smoother system. If you remember the days of dial-up then you know there is hope (02/12/2009)

By me

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

Got it about month ago. Works great if you install using directions. Cut my phone cost $40 month. (02/13/2009)

By Billy

problems with local calls

The call quality is not great. It sounds like a really bad cell phone connection. My major problem has been trying to make local calls. Magic Jack's fix is to put a * after the first number in my area code; but then when I type the rest of the number, the phone acts like its trying to dial, but then disconnects the call. When I look at the phone log, it shows the phone number minus the last number - therefore it can not connect.

MagicJack's answer is to click on the phone number and then add the last number and click send. Not too handy when you just want to pick up your phone and make a local call. They're "working on it" seems to be the standard line. I think they can have a good product, but it's a long way from being good. (02/16/2009)

By not satisfied user

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

It's "not good". All kinds of issues with it--very inconsistent. No "Live Help" despite what they say. Sent it back and had no problem with getting the refund. It may be good sometime in the future but it needs work. (02/18/2009)

By Roger

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

http://uninstallmagicjack.com/ (02/20/2009)

By Guest

Great

This thing really really rocks overseas. Mine was paid for in less than a month. I tried with SKYPE and unfortunately that was not what I was looking for, Vonage has a USB device with headset but I have to pay for a plan. Hopefully soon this guy from magicJack can improve the size and come out with a small Bluetooth phone that can connect to the Magic Jack within miles. Sorry to hear about the guys having problems with this device. (02/22/2009)

By Eduardo

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I have had nothing but problems since the day I received it. The best part is when I changed my number, because my area code finally became available, I could not receive calls from land line phones with the same area code (269). When I bought it they told me the area code would be available in 30 days, it was almost a year. (02/26/2009)

By Window Man

Magic Jack works fine.

I have had magicJack for about 3 months and I'm happy with it. Call clarity is awesome. As with all programs there is bound to be occasional issues. Once in a while a small problem may arise. I've had no problem correcting with magicJacks' live help or using the FAQ on their site.

I've probably talked about 60 hours using Magic Jack and all calls have been loud and clear. I think that some people who experience problems may not completely understand how to get help or how to make adjustments to the speaker and volume settings in the menu. In addition, they may have other programs on their computer that are causing them to receive undesirable results. I love it, use it and swear by it. I would not give up my home phone but I sure love to make free long distant calls. (03/01/2009)

By Kevin N.CA

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

CheeMiss Toronto, Ontario, Canada..

I am doing a lot of homework before I buy the magicJack. Here is what I found out, just today while Google searching. On this site: http://www.arnab.ca/site/2008/07/21/magic-jack-toronto-canada/ (Apparently you have to click on the last portion of this address, as this site seems to print it out twice.)

I found a blog where the person, Arnab is also from Toronto and he pointed out that he cannot call Rogers cell phones or any Toronto cell phone. He bought the M.J. from http://www.themagicjack.ca/. Just under Arnab's post, the owner of "The Magic Jack.ca" Victor, responded with "Hi there Arnab, the issue with the Toronto cell phone calling from your magicjack should be rectified very soon. If you have any questions or issues about magicjack please do not hesitate to call me direct."

Well, I called Victor approximately, half an hour ago and no, the situation has not been rectified. And it does not look like it will be, as Rogers has a block on the system. Sometimes the calls will go through, other times they will not. Victor will not get into any technical issues. He just refers you back to the USA branch, where you spend a long time on real chat time as the chat person is jumping between several calls and gets totally confused with the answers.

I know, because I just went through that with them today. So, I let the chat person know that they are mixed up and not focused on the question when they reply. "Oh", was their response, then the right answer came through. Poor things, I feel sorry for them having to juggle so many people at the same time. They really do try to help. Anyway, not to worry, if you check out Arnab's post, there is a back door code to dial when trying to reach someone on a Toronto cell phone. Just go to his site for the answer.

Also, for those of you who prefer to buy from a store and not online, I found only one located in Scarboro, Ont. near Birchmount. Quite a distance from me, but, I will go there on Sunday, Noon - 5pm. They are called 7 Star Electronics, 3575 Sheppard Ave. East. 416-630-3339. Apparently, they sell M.J. for $39.99 with a 30 day money back guarantee.

For the record, I own an iMac, Version 10.5.6, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I am with Rogers, Lite High Speed, which does qualify for the M.J. use. So, you do not have to spend the big bucks with the super High Speed internet. (I hope!) I will let you know how things work out.

I also have spoken to "Apple Care" and they are not familiar with the M.J., so I gave them all the info on it for them to check it out. Hopefully they will become familiar with it soon. I also called Future Shop, Best Buy and The Source, enlightening them, that the same stores in USA carry this product, why not them? It's only a matter of time before everyone in Canada gets on the band wagon. Since most of us are at work in the day time, and most of us have cell phones, it does not make sense to continue to pay "big bucks" for a land line.

During our last 2 hydro black outs, I still could not call out on my Bell land line phones, as my phones are cordless. With hydro down, they won't work. Thank God I had my cell fully charged. So why pay the "big bucks" for a land line in this case scenario? Yes, I know, I can hook up a regular phone instead of my portable ones, but that would mean I have to be glued to that spot when talking. The once in a blue moon that we have a black out, does not justify the cost for a land line, does it?

If enough of us leave Rogers or Bell land lines, maybe they'll smarten up and start charging a lot less to get us back. Wouldn't that be nice? As far as I am concerned they are being penny saved, pound foolish! Very, very greedy!

(03/09/2009)

By CheeMiss

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

FYI, this info comes directly from the Magic Jack.com FAQ site:

• If your Magic Jack phone number is in the same area code as your friends and family, they are not charged long distance to call your MagicJack phone number*.

• If they are in a different area code, they are subject to the rates their phone company would charge for calling the area code your magicJack is registered with.

*Please remember that some calls are not considered local calls, even though they are in the same area code. Please refer to your local carrier for more information on local and long distance calls.

Hmmm, those of us living in Canada "beware", all your local incoming callers will be charged long distance fees, as the magicJack phone number will be a USA area code number.

According to the magicJack inventor, Canadian area codes are not on his priority list! This is something that none of the re-sellers tell you. This truly sucks! (03/10/2009)

By CheeMiss

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I ordered 4 (2 for a friend) which came with the first year of service with extended 5 year plans. I have only been credited for a total of 5 years instead of 6 years. I have chatted to customer service numerous times, but have gotten nowhere. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and he said, "Sad to say but I am the supervisor."

When I mentioned that I would contact Better Business if I couldn't get satisfaction, he told me to go ahead and ended our chat! I just called the billing phone number, and after waiting 16 minutes and being the next in line, the call was disconnected. I called back on my cell phone only to be told that the promotion was not in effect when I placed my order. I had confirmation that I was paying for 6 years. Here is one of the orders.

And the splash screen is so annoying! I have used task manager to close the program just so I could use my computer instead of waiting for it to load. MagicJack works fine if I don't use my computer while on the phone, otherwise it messes up the reception, skipping wildly even if I stop using the computer. (04/08/2009)

By En Cognito

RE: Has Anyone Used

Has Anyone Used "Magic Jack"?

I am using it and it works great. I love magicJack and wouldn't change it for any other phone service. I will admit MJ screen is annoying because you can't minimize it, but once your on the internet or using other programs, it goes into the background.

I love the fact that I can either use my home phone or switch to my microphone/headset. The price is absolutely great, I have my cousin using it and he is saving almost 2000 dollars a year. I had Vonage which was OK, but I was paying 28 bucks a month for it and couldn't do half the stuff I can with magicJack.

One other feature I like about magicJack that I couldn't get with Vonage is that when I receive a voicemail message, it gets forwarded to my email as well. So I can check it online if I'm not home. Now if I can find a company that does this with Cable TV, I'll save a ton of money. You know cable is very expensive. (05/08/2009)

By FAISONIK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
  • 0 found this helpful
    January 28, 2009 Flag

I just wanted to know if anyone has tried Magic Jack phone service, and what they think of it? It is used through your USB port on your computer.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 14, 2008 Flag

Has anyone tried the new "Magic Jack" that has been advertising on the paid programming channels? It is a phone service that costs only $19.99 PER YEAR.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Computers BuyingDecember 2, 2012
    ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
    Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
    star shaped magic wand
    Magic Wand Crafts
    Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
    Making a Jack Sparrow Costume
    Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
    Cleaning With Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
    🍀
    💘
    © 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2017 at 12:33:34 AM on 10.0.2.246 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.