Maintaining a Backyard Swimming Pool

A man cleaning his backyard pool.
Keeping your backyard swimming pool clean and in good repair helps ensure you and your family hours of enjoyment. This is a guide about maintaining a backyard swimming pool.

This is a guide about cleaning a backyard swimming pool. Keeping your backyard pool clean is an important part of being able to enjoy it at any time.

Above ground pool off of a deck with sparkling clean water

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about household chemicals for pool maintenance. With proper testing, you can safely maintain your pool water pH balance using generic household chemicals.

boy looking over the edge of an aboveground pool

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can toilet bleach tabs be used in a large home wading swimming pool?

i cannot find evidence that it would be dangerous to use but since these products (toilet tabs) are usually much more expensive than swimming pool tabs I wonder why you would want to use them. maybe a supply on hand? From my research it appears the toilet tabs are much weaker than pool tabs and I'm not sure how you would be able to determine how many to use and how often.

The ingredients are not exactly the same in the two products and I could not find any one saying they had ever tried this - usually it is the reverse - someone wanting to use pool tabs in toilets and not just because they are cheaper.

I have a couple of links that you might want to check out but they mainly deal with the strength of both tabs and also there are many people who claim that both products will damage the toilet mechanisms. Check them out if you are curious.

https://www.hun  ts-in-the-toilet

http://www.ehow  safe-toilet.html

http://ths.gard  -the-toilet-tank

http://ths.gard  -the-toilet-tank

It would be ok. You would probably need a lot of them.

If you have them handy to use them in there, I'm sure it's fine.

most likely you would have to use an insane amount of them. As well, the toilet tabs usually come with odors that you probably don't want in your pool

Not sure if that would be ideal. You can ask when you go to a pool store on their thoughts?

It is possible use use the tablets in your large wading pool. However, this is not economical and it will take a large amount of tablets to clean your pool. Unless you have a major supply of these tablets on hand, I would not suggest using them to clean a pool.

I have a question regarding bleach in the pool. I have a 3 foot by 12 foot pool. How much bleach do I put in and how many times a week? Do I also put in baking soda at the same time or as needed?
Thanks for the help.

By Karen Marie from Spring Hill, TN

Go to the swimming pool supply store, buy a water testing kit, they will tell you how to use it. You will need a vacuum hose with an adapter that fits into where your water is suctioned out into the pump. That is how you create the suction to vacuum. You need a vacuum brush for the end of the hose, a telepole to attach to the vacuum brush (you hold onto the pole and use it to guide the vacuum to the corners, center, deep end, etc.) You need chlorine, I think the tablets are easier to use, you just put them into the basket where the water is sucked out after vacuuming, soda ash to keep the PH level correct, good baskets for the pump, returns, etc. But your pool supply store should help you out with other supplies.

I hope this helps.

Pam

We have a 90,000 litres painted pool in New Zealand. Can someone suggest cheaper maintenance to keep it clean as we are constantly spending heaps on chemicals from the pool store. Also any tips on best practices would be welcome as I am new to this.

Roshni from New Zealand

Answers:

Maintaining a Swimming Pool

We found here in Michigan the more our pool was used the less chemicals we needed to use happy pooling to you. (03/05/2009)

By sillepeanut

Maintaining a Swimming Pool

Shop online for better deals, and prove to that store that you are not a captive market. (03/05/2009)

By kimhis

I am looking at buying a house with an above ground swimming pool. How do you take care of a swimming pool?

JOJO

Answers:

Maintaining a Swimming Pool

Go to the swimming pool supply store, buy a water testing kit, they will tell you how to use it. You will need a vacuum hose with an adapter that fits into where your water is suctioned out into the pump. That is how you create the suction to vacuum. You need a vacuum brush for the end of the hose, a telepole to attach to the vacuum brush (you hold onto the pole and use it to guide the vacuum to the corners, center, deep end, etc.). You need chlorine, I think the tablets are easier to use, you just put them into the basket where the water is sucked out after vacuuming, soda ash to keep the PH level correct, good baskets for the pump, returns, etc.

But your pool supply store should help you out with other supplies.

By Pam