Maintaining a Flag

Many citizens fly the national flag for holidays and others display it year round. One responsibility of flying the flag is to keep it in good repair. This is a guide about maintaining a flag.

May 23, 2011 Flag

We like to fly our American flag 24 hours a day, and living where the wind blows almost non-stop we go through a lot of flags. My father told me this secret to saving them. Before flying her the first time, sew packaging string or other heavy cord around the edges rolling it up several times; this will keep the wind from whipping it quite so fast.

Our flag flies at our dock as we live on the tip of a peninsula on a lake in the center of Nebraska and all around use our point as a beacon for we have our flag lit 24 hours a day. Thanks Dad. Be a proud American; fly Old Glory proudly!

By Ann W. from Loup City, NE

Wonderful idea, Ann! :-)

I am confused about the "rolling it up several times." Do you mean that you lay the cord on the edge of the flag fabric then roll the fabric around the cord to encase it and then stitch it down? Or is it something else. Thanks.

Like Melody, I'm a little confused concerning the details but I still love the tip. Brings back memories of the flagpole we used to have in front of our suburban Indianapolis home when I was very young.

July 2, 2008 Flag

Celebrate Independence Day, display your U.S. flag using the proper flag etiquette.

An American flag showing the stars and stripes.

March 16, 2009 Flag

Does anyone know where I could purchase about 10 to 20 plastic flag holders? The kind that clip on to a car window. You usually see sports teams or national flags displayed this way. I am trying to have some flags made for a charity that takes disabled children on trips and travels in vans "caravan-style".

Often the vans get separated traveling on highways. This would be a good tool to keep the group together. I have checked online and only found vendors that sell very large quantities. I cannot find any distributor locally either. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Kathleen from Chicago, IL

I suggest you could contact a funeral home. They have car flags for their processions and would know where to get them. They might even help out with paying for them!

I also was going to suggest contacting a few funeral homes to see where they purchase theirs.

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/productpage.asp?id=CBRAC38H

Holidays and Parties Fourth of July AdviceAugust 29, 2013
American Flag Pillow
American Flag Craft Projects
Flag flying on a metal pole.
Making a Flag Pole
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
American flag suitcase.
Buying American Flag Themed Luggage
🎄