Maintaining a Paper Shredder

I have inherited an Aurora Cross Cut AS700X paper shredder without a manual. I searched the manufacturers web site for information. This model is no longer listed. I e-mailed the manufacturer and never received an answer. I would like to know, how do I maintain this shredder? I do believe it should be oiled and sharpened. What type of oil is used, and does it get sharpened? I will use it weekly for light to medium shredding. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Mike from NE PA

Maintaining a Paper Shredder

Office Depot sells special sheets that you put through the shredder, and the sheets oil it as they go through. (11/14/2008)

By Suanne

Maintaining a Paper Shredder

Here is something I found on the web to oil the cutters. I didn't look for a way to sharpen the cutters. Maybe you just buy a new shredder when it gets dull. I have had a shredder for a number of years and don't do anything for maintenance except empty the bucket.

How often should I oil cutting head and how do I do it?

It is recommended that you oil the cutters more regularly for Cross-Cut Machines than for Strip Cut. We suggest oiling the cutters once a day before the machine is first used. This can easily be done by taking a sheet of paper and covering it with oil. Then simply shred the paper as you normally would. Alternatively you can spray the oil into the entry throat as directed on the can. It is important to use a non-flammable oil. (11/14/2008)

By Harry

Maintaining a Paper Shredder

Try shredding a sized piece of aluminum foil. I use it to sharpen scissors by cutting through a sheet several times. I haven't tried this with a paper shredder, but I suppose it could not hurt trying. (12/06/2008)

By LeAnn from Tampa, Fla

Paper Shredding Tips
Paper Shredding Tips
Square version of tree top.
Making Recycled Paper Mini Trees
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper