Make Your Own Brown Sugar

I think everyone knows that you can make your own brown sugar cheaper than what you can buy in the store. So I'm not really telling you anything new. I've read this same tip on Thrifty Fun numerous times, but I don't think that anyone has ever submitted a photo.

I mixed up a batch of brown sugar and used 1 cup of white sugar + 1 tablespoon of molasses. Then pour the brown sugar in a plastic bag and close with a twist tie, and store it in a Tupperware container.

Source: I've made my own brown sugar for years.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Answers:

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Thanks so much for the picture, it really makes it looks do-able. I have been curious about making this and powdered sugar for quite a while but have never tackled it.

I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?

Merry Christmas! (12/17/2010)

By jess

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Molasses is kind of expensive. Are you sure you are saving? (12/17/2010)

By Lilac

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

Someone had posted that molasses is quite expensive. It really depends on where you buy a bottle of molasses. I buy a gallon of molasses at a restaurant supply store and is much cheaper than buying the smaller bottles in the grocery store. I use very little molasses when I mix up a batch of brown sugar and it goes a long way.

If I had to drive to the grocery store every time I needed brown sugar, I would be burning more fuel in my car than I would be spending on a gallon jug of molasses. (12/17/2010)

By MCW

Make Your Own Brown Sugar

"I have a question. If you are making a recipe, what would be the difference between simply adding in an extra Tbsp. of molasses plus the sugar, instead of mixing it up in advance? It seems to me like there might be a possibility of it not mixing together as thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?"

A cup of packed brown sugar wouldn't be the same equivalent of a regular cup of white sugar. I just find it easier to spend the time and mix up some brown sugar for future baking. (12/17/2010)

By MCW

Make Your Own Brown Sugar
Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎄