Make Your Own Food for a Hummingbird Feeder

I would like to make my own mix for my hummingbird feeder. I used to know and have forgotten. Any ideas of sugar and water mixture?

Thanks,
barbo37 from Fairview, MI

Answers:

Homemade Hummingbird Nectar

• 1 cup sugar
  • 4 cups water
  • A few drops of red food coloring (optional)

Mix the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it cool before filling your feeder. Once hummers start coming, decrease the solution to about 1 cup sugar to 8 cups water. Hummingbirds can sometimes suffer a fatal liver disorder if they get too much sugar.

Remember to replace the nectar in your hummingbird feeder every 3 days or so - every other day if temperatures are above 60 degrees. Wash the feeder with soap and scalding hot water, then rinse well before refilling. Old nectar and/or a dirty feeder can host hummingbird bacteria. (05/26/2006)

By luv2craft

Never use red food coloring ( or any other color food coloring) It is very bad for the hummingbirds. Some research is being done to see if it causes cancer in the birds, But it can kill them. As long as there is red on the feeder, the food does not need to be red, but if you want it to be then you should buy the mix that they sell in the stores. (05/31/2006)

By Mrs.Rem05

I just bought a new hummingbird feeder and there is a recipe for you to make your own hummingbird food. It says it is ok to use red food coloring as long as it is FDA approved.

I'm am not sure what is true as I have read different things regarding the safety of food coloring and hummingbirds.

I just wanted to pass that on to you. (05/31/2006)

By Mrs.Rem05

Please don't use red coloring in hummingbird feeders. Any red on the feeder will attract the birds. The red food coloring is only to satisfy the humans. It will harm the birds. (06/01/2006)

By Vicka

I make all my hummingbird nectar. it is 4 to 1 ratio - 4 cups of water and one cup of sugar, then boil. Add a little red food coloring. I make a batch almost every day. I have dozens of hummingbirds at my feeders everyday!
good luck. (06/01/2006)

By Barb

We have hummingbirds - there are a few 'regulars' and if I mix 2/3 cup of (warm) water with 1/3 cup of sugar (have used same amount of powered sugar) it seems to disappear in a week. (06/02/2006)

By CNSB

You DO NOT need to boil any water for the mixture. It does dilute in cold water and stirring it. I do this everytime I make the solution. NO PROBLEMS and NO RED DYE! Don't need red. It doesn't bring them to you. As long as you put out feeders and keep them full, you will have tons of hummingbirds. (06/03/2006)

By Beth Jenkins

1 cup sugar to 3 cups of water that has been boiled is what I use and the birds seem to enjoy it. (06/05/2006)

By Mary

Closeup of Three Hummingbirds at a Feeder
Homemade Hummingbird Food Recipes
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
white throated mountain gem hummingbird
Feeding Hummingbirds
Hummingbird on a red hummingbird feeder
Canning Homemade Hummingbird Food
Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder
🎄