Make Your Own Ice for the Ice Chest

Don't know what to do with all those empty plastic gallon jugs? My husband likes to fish and hunt, so instead of buying bags of ice we fill up the jugs with water, freeze, then bust them up for free ice for his cooler! I love fresh fish, yum!

By Chickenhugger from Freeport, FL

Answers:

Make Your Own Ice for the Ice Chest

I thought this was such a great idea, I just sent it to my son. He fishes and hunts. (09/19/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Make Your Own Ice for the Ice Chest

You know, this really is a good idea. I knew about filling and freezing the jugs, but breaking open the ice jugs and chopping up the ices is so much better. Thank you. (06/26/2010)

By Virginia Pride

Make Your Own Ice for the Ice Chest

We've been doing this for years, but we do not break up the ice, Just leave it as is, frozen in the jugs, and when it melts some, you have wonderful clean ice-water as well as all the ice you can use.
We always use this method when camping also. It's the best trick in the book as far as we're concerned. It is amazing how long the gallon jugs of ice last. Much longer than breaking up the ice too.

(06/28/2010)

By WiggleWorm

Make Your Own Ice for the Ice Chest
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Old Chest
Starting a Hope Chest
🎉
🎄