Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal

As a busy single mom, I can certainly appreciate convenience foods. It is not necessary, however, to pay a high price for convenience with a little advance planning. For example, you can make your own flavored instant oatmeal packets by simply combining the ingredients (quick oats and the flavoring of your choice - brown sugar, cinnamon, etc) in a ziplock baggie ahead of time. If something requires both wet and dry ingredients, you can use two baggies (wet ingredients in one, dry in the other) and combine when preparing. To use the oatmeal example again, oats and sugar would go in one baggie, a mashed banana and vanilla in another.

By Leann D

Convenience Foods - Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal

This is a great idea. I usually just follow the microwave directions on the oatmeal box (round), but my son is always wishing for the packets. I could make up packages for him, and for myself that would take both of us less time.

I have also started making my oatmeal with milk instead of water. This gives you more nutrition for the same preparation time.

By odeal59

Try also raisins, chocolate chips, or dried apples. This is a great tip. No need to buy the already made packets of oatmeal when you can save A LOT of money packaging up your own. (12/26/2004)

By Cavelady

I have been making these for about 4 years and I love them! I have saved a lot of money as well. Even the store brand oatmeal packets are expensive now. Check them out and see for yourself.

Creamy Homemade Fruit Oatmeal Packets

• 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
  • 3 tabs, powered coffee creamer.
  • 2 tabs dried fruit or (2 tabs. fruit preserves) of your choice,
  • 2-3 tsp. sugar. More or less to taste

Directions for Each Oatmeal Packet:

Place 1/2 cup of the oats in a blender and grind until powdery. Then place in zip-lock bag along with all of the other ingredients. I make up a weeks worth at a time. When ready to use. Open one bag and pour in a bowl. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and stir. If you like thick oatmeal use less water and if you like thinner oatmeal use more water. Enjoy.

Sandy-TN (01/13/2005)

By tink0952

Thanks for the tips, guys. I have been wondering this for a few months and I finally did a Google search on the topic. Glad I found this thread and this website. I love being thrifty!

Lori - Kansas City, MO (11/02/2005)

By Lori

Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal

My kids were mad when I stopped buying it. I asked them what they liked about it that mine didn't have and they said the dinosaur eggs. So, I bought a pkg of inexpensive dinosaur, creature, and floral sprinkles (I let each child choose their own) to put on my homemade prepackaged oatmeal after it's cooked. They're in heaven and haven't complained a bit since!

Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference. (04/16/2007)

By Toni

Jar of instant oatmeal.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipes
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Oatmeal Pancakes
Oatmeal Pancake Mix Recipes
Carnation Instant Breakfast Recipes
Carnation Instant Breakfast Recipes
Making Oatmeal With Raspberries and Apples
Making Oatmeal