Make Your Own Vanilla Extract

I always make my own Vanilla extract. It's much tastier and when I make in bulk, I give away the extra as Christmas gifts in bottles I get at the Dollar store. Just go to the liquor store and buy a fifth of Everclear. Buy 3 vanilla beans, split them down the middle and open a bit and drop them in the bottle. Keep in a cool dry place. I keep mine in our cold room. Shake the bottle every week.

It usually takes about 3 months for the color and flavor to develop, so make well in advance if you plan on giving as a gift. This makes a very concentrated Vanilla so you only have to use half the amount called for in any recipe. The fragrance is much stronger and smells so good.

Source: I have to give credit to my sis, Pat. She told me how to make it a few years ago and I have been doing it ever since.

By Ragteller from Tofield, Alberta Canada

Editor's Note: Everclear is not available in many parts of the U.S. due to it's high alcohol content. Try substituting a high proof clear alcohol such as 100 proof vodka or ask at your local liquor store.

Make Your Own Vanilla Extract

If you want to buy good quality vanilla beans. I found a website they have the quality Mexican beans, as well as other types. I prefer the Mexican bean over the others. (05/12/2008)

By Bryce

Homemade vanilla extract in a glass bottle.
Making Vanilla Extract
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Vanilla Extract
Uses for Vanilla Extract
Vanilla frosting on a lemon layer cake.
Vanilla Frosting Recipes
Substitution for Almond Extract