Using a Deck of Cards to Play Stratego

Category Board Games
Stratego is a fun board game for people of all ages. This page is about playing Stratego using a deck of cards instead of game pieces.

I had this crazy idea of creating a stratego game using a standard deck of playing cards but I can't figure out how to do this. Do I need 1 or 2 decks of cards and how do I use them?

Bob

Best Answer

I say that you use 2 decks (one red, one blue of course!) Have the joker be the spy/assassin and choose an ace to be a flag. Then assign roles to other cards as you see fit. I would probably lay them out like a solitaire game. Experiment with different size armies and rules to see what is the most fun to play. I would lay some cards out (maybe 3 or 4 pyramids of six) Your bombs and flag must be layed down, but with the other cards you have to choose to keep them in your hand to attack or in the pyramids to defend. Scouts can reveal every card in a row, and you must remove the two cards in front of a given card before it can be attacked.