Making A Latchhook Rug

Rug hooking is accomplished by pulling yarn or cloth through a stiff woven base to create a pattern of your choosing. This guide is about making a latch hook rug.

August 23, 2011 Flag

I have been wanting to make a rug for a while and finally decided on how to do it. While in my local craft store, I found a nice sized latch hook canvas. I started saving my little yarn clippings from knitting and crocheting and now I am using them for my rug!

It is going to take me a while to complete, but in the end, I will have a really cool, multicolored rug made out of recycled little pieces of yarn that would have gone in the garbage.

By Amy from Long Branch, NJ

This is a great idea! I do needlepoint and crochet, and really hate throwing out those scraps of yarn. Now I'll save them up for a rug. :)

How are you attaching the yarn bits?

How are you putting them on? I love the idea but not sure how you did it!

I used to hook rugs a lot, and had a yarn cutter. I took all of my leftover yarn, cut it, and made a rug much like yours. I hooked each color on the diagonal in as many rows as that color would cover. Some colors were just one row wide, others were six rows wide, with every variation in between.

Keeping the colors together in a uniform pattern gave the rug a unified look. I gave it to my sister for a Christmas gift the year I finished it--that was 30 years ago. I recently saw it, and was surprised at how it held up and how nice it still looked. It would be well worth the money to buy a single color to block between the other scrap colors to give yours a unified look.

I've found that for my use, it also works better if the lengths are similar, so I trimmed mine. I hope that your is as nice as mine was when I finished. Enjoy!

June 20, 2011 Flag

I made a rug from a less-than-lovely knitted throw and some old t-shirts. Everything is machine washable, and I didn't have to run out and get rug canvas. I cut the t-shirts into small 1 inch wide and 3 inch long strips and created a latch hook rug.

A latch hook rug made from recycled fabrics.

February 15, 2012 Flag

I just received materials for a latch hook rug, so I am basically starting from scratch. What is a simple, budget-wise, non-stick backing for it?

By Carolyn

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have made a lot of latch hook rugs, but not for use on the floor. We have always used them as wall hangings. I have also given some as gifts, and I don't know how the people chose to use them.

Consider using burlap. It's fairly inexpensive and it isn't made to be "pretty", it's made to be sturdy.

It's been many years, but I used to go to a carpet store and find a jar of this stuff like rubber cement which I would brush onto the back of the hooked rug and it would dry to be kind of rubbery. It worked very well.

I've read that a non-skid back can be made by "painting "on sealant that you'd normally use for cracks or adhering smooth materials together. It comes in a tube that you use w/ a caulking gun. Its pretty cheap too. I plan on trying it as a slip-less bottom for fleece slipper socks I make.

January 10, 2007 Flag

I am looking for anyone that has some info on how to make a hooked rug from rags! Help!

Shel from KS

hooked check out the library & thrift shops for older books plenty out there

Try http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/braidpjts.htm . Someone contributed it in yesterday's column. I marked it as one of my Favorites.

Jantoo....I am unable to get to the website you suggested....message says that it cannot be found....any suggestions?

Editor's Note: Hi, it is the period after the URL. I moved it, you should be able to click the link now.

Hi Shel,

You can buy a kit and get a lot of info on how to make the rugs..I find lots of kits at yard sales and goodwill....I have been making the hook rugs out of the plastic shopping bags that you get when you are shopping...I cut the bags into 4 inch strips and hook them into the hook rug canvas...I do not use the pattern I just mix up the colors...these are really nice out on the patio...when dirty just hose them off and hang them up to dry....Good Luck...

i am not sure what a "hooked rug" is other than those kits; have you thought about using strips of 100% cotton fabric and crocheting a rug..they are beautiful!

This right up my alley! Most Rug Hookers use 100% Wool rag strips that they have shrunk & felted. (like old blankets & shirts) THEN, they use a small type of cutting "machine" that cuts the strips evenly into the desired widths. You then choose the size of hook you need to pull the wool through cotton monks cloth, burlap, or other backing. When the rug is finished, you bind the edges. (Usually with wool yarn)

---> If you "HOOK" you "fish" the thin strip of wool from underneath, thus working on the Front side of the pattern... or "topside-up"

---> If you "PUNCH" you stretch your monk's cloth backing on a frame with tacks that stick up & "grab" your fabric, you then use a punch tool instead of a hook to punch the wool yarn or thin fabric strips through the backing fabric. Punched rugs are usually made with yarn, not wool strips like Hooked Rugs are. The Rumpelstiltskins company makes an electric rug puncher (for yarn) that really speeds up the process, but it's pricey! Punched rugs are done through the BACK of the work or "upside-down"

---> DO not confuse rug hooking & rug punching with the rug kits they sell in craft stores. This is a totally different ARTform. You will not end up with a synthetic "shag" type of rug, but a high quality rug that will last over 100 years if taken care of. Just like the pioneers made!

---> Many Rug makers dye or "over-dye" their wool before cutting it into strips.

---> Rug Hooking is sometimes called "Nantucket" rug hooking. With Nantucket style, you hold the backing fabric on your lap & wrap it around the top of your legs & pull it tight as you work. This way you can take your work with you because it's portable & not hooked to a frame.

---> Sometimes you can take classes at Weaving Stores... Look under "Weaving" in the yellow pages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first 3 URL's are a GREAT newsletter for rug "hookers" & rug "Punchers":

Rug Hooking, Beginners Questions:

http://www.rughookingonline.com/hooked/WG28.txt

Woolgatherings Newsletter = Index of Subjects:

http://www.rughookingonline.com/hooked/WGtable.html

What is traditional Rughooking? (this is a GREAT URL with lots of resources!)

http://www.rughookingonline.com/hooked/hooked.html

What is NANTUCKET HOOKING? (with "how-to" diagrams)

http://www.littlehouserugs.com/What-is-hooking-page.html

Q's & A's about punch needle hooking:

http://www.red-clover-rugs.com/rcrpage6.html

Tips & Tricks for rug hookers:

http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/FAQ1.htm

Rug Hooking List of Suppliers in many US states:

http://www.rughookersnetwork.com/punchsupplier.html

Rugmaking tools-CATALOG:

http://www.netw.com/%7Erafter4/catalog.htm

Pictures of frameless hooked rugs that are for sale:

http://www.orientalrugdesigns.com/

January 29, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know of any sites that have patterns for latch hooking that are not for children? Everywhere I look, all I can seem to find are patterns for kids. I want patterns for my home that don't pertain to kids.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Herrschners catalog has all kinds of gorgeous latch hook kits. They are pricey, but really pretty. There is also a web site for them. It used to be that the larger craft stores had all kinds of kits too.

Also try Shillcraft, they are mostly latch hook rugs. Not sure if they are still in business, but you could try googling them.

You can find latch hook for home in at Herrschners.com I have a catalog and there are some on sale there too. Hope this helps. I found my last one at a yard sale in a large box paid 1.00 for it. It was a 24x48 Indian minus a few of the colors but I used crochet thread and cut my own for the ones missing attached a cloth backing with hangers for a rod and it hangs in my hall. Good hunting.

You can also make and print your own patterns. Just upload a picture that you'd like to do to www.leftsource.com There you can chose how many per inch tall and wide, also how big you want the project to be. It will create a pattern for you and tell you how much yarn you will need for the project.

January 16, 2005 Flag

Take a yard of material and fold 3/4 of it up and sew in squares like a shoe organizer. Use this for your yarn when making a hook rug. You can tape the number and the color of thread on each square so you can use it over and over with each rug.

Crafts RugsNovember 6, 2012
Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Making a Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Pom Pom Rug
Making a Pom Pom Rug
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
🎉
🎄