Making An Above Ground Root Cellar From a Freezer

Does anyone have any idea for making root cellars? I have an old deep freeze I wanted to turn into a root cellar, but I wanted to have it above ground. I don't want to dig a hole to put it in. Does anyone have any ideas for a root cellar on top of the ground? Can I just put my old freezer in a shed and will my vegetables keep in the freezer? The shed is made out of tin.

By Marie

Answers:

If it stays cold enough, good luck. (03/21/2010)

By kffrmw88

No it won't work above ground. The principle behind root cellars is that the earth maintains a steady temperature, of about 35 degrees or so. If you live in a cold climate the stuff stored in your freezer will freeze, and it will get to warm in the summer. You need to insulate it. My suggestion would be to surround it with straw bales and figure out a way to insulate the lid of the freezer. You might try sawdust or something.

Probably your best bet is to build a straw structure around your freezer and cover the lid with about six inches of straw. I would put the straw on a tarp and lift the entire thing off when you go to open the lid this should keep your "cellar" at an even temperature. You won't get the heat from the earth, but it should keep stuff from freezing or getting too warm. I use a root cellar routinely and have all my life. I have also used straw boxes for insulating things I wanted kept cool or warmer like growing plants. Hope this helps. Should add that should it get way below zero this might not work.
(03/26/2010)

By tigra

Indoor Root Cellar
Creating an Indoor Root Cellar
Root Cellar
Making an Above Ground Root Cellar
A blue above ground swimming pool.
Cleaning an Above Ground Pool
Above Ground Pool
Winterizing an Above Ground Pool
🎄
🍂