Browsing: Making Artificial Snow

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Artificial Snow

Making realistic, artificial snow for displays and crafts can be fun. This guide is about making artificial snow.

Making Artificial Snow
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 5, 2007 Flag

I was looking for a way to jazz up some Christmas decorations, etc. and found this quick, easy artificial snow recipe.

Ingredients

Directions

Mix together. Sprinkle mixture over any area you want to decorate after it has been spread with liquid starch or a mixture of 1/2 glue and 1/2 water. Let dry.

Hint: The more sugar, the more sparkle.

By Chris M. from Oshkosh, WI

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 12, 2006 Flag

Does anyone know what I could use for fake snow on glass Christmas balls? I need it to be permanent and frugal as I'm making several dozen. I'll post a pic when I'm done with them, IF I get done LOL. Please help!

Sandy from Pittsburgh

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I read somewhere that you could use spray adhesive and then sprinkle sugar on, don't know how permanent that would be.

You could also spray each Christmas ball with spray glue adhesive and roll each around in a dish of rock salt ( one box can be purchased for $1.20)

Rock salt - like when you make ice cream in a churn.

Search for"how to make fake snow for snow globes"good luck.

Read More Answers...

November 13, 2007 Flag

How do you make Craft Fake Snow Paste? I researched this web site throughly to find out how to make some fake snow paste for using in craft projects on wood and metal surfaces. I put in lots of key word phrases but only found two that I could find. One said to use Epson salts, Elmer's glue and a tiny bit of water, that was a total loss for it turned to goop.

I need it to be pasty and gritty so I can spread it with a wooden craft stick and then when it dries it ends up hard. Walmart no longer sells this type snow paste in there craft department at all. And I need to finish a lot of wooden snowmen and Santa figures using it on them by next week. So if any one has the recipe for this can you please tell me asap?

JC

Well, I know this sounds strange. . . but when I did ceramics over 25 years ago and we needed such a product, we would use a mix of elmer's glue, white acrylic paint and ripped up Kotex pads. Yes, sanitary pads. Minus the plastic liner. It was cotton, dense, and fluffy. Perfect for the snow on our snowmen. I just remember never "offering" the information about the snow's content, unless asked.

Blessings,

I would try the big craft stores. They are usually well stocked. In the east we have "Michael's" and JoAnn's.

I just saw some at the local dollar store. So it's out there. If you need it and anything else doesn't work, just ask, and I'll be able to buy it and send it to you.

Sylvie

I want to thank all of you kind people who sent me ideas and info. After a lot of testing, this is the one I went with that gives good texture and sparkle. I took the advice of the post who suggest spackle. I had a whole bucket in the garage.

I mixed it with a little water and added regular table salt to give it grit. I spread it as thick or thin as I needed it. Then on the top of it while still wet, I sprinkled salt. On some of it i added a tint of light blue acrylic paint to give some of the snow a blueish tint. Below are two of my hand painted wooden items with the paste applied in certain places.

I plan on putting little felt snowmen I made to sit in each corner of the rocker & add a folk checkered rag bow ribbon to the top ot it. The other is an old window I hand painted on. The tiny red Santa was made from brown paper bags, cut in that shape hot glued together, filled with poly fill fiber, then hand painted with paints & the paste I came up with. They were drying, so I took a picture of them to show you all how they turned out. So thanks everyone I appreciate your fast replies! :) Julie

Read More Answers...

December 29, 2010 Flag

How do I make "snow" from Ivory flakes?

By Sue from Waukegan, IL

I use a stand-up cheese grater to grate my soap for laundry detergent. I use the side that grates it the finest. If the soap is white it does look like snow. Hope this helps!

December 29, 2010 Flag

I need fake snow that will stick to people for about 10 minutes for a church play. Any ideas? Thanks.

Dale from Springfield, MO

Answers:

November 28, 2007 Flag

I want to know how I can make cheap fake snow for a tv comercial. Someone is going to hold it in his hands, so it has to look very real but it can not be ice because it will be shot in a dessert in the Dominican Republic. I need ideas.

Thank you,

Giselle

Answers:

Making Fake Snow

Try instant mashed potato flakes. They will drift through the air, and you could experiment with mixing up the potatoes to different consistencies to form snow balls. (01/08/2007)

By jean

Making Fake Snow

I don't know if they still make Ivory Flakes Soap for clothes or not, but I remember we used to get it, and add enough water to make a paste, and whip it with an electric mixer to make snow. You could put it on your tree, or wherever you wanted "snow". (01/08/2007)

By Jennifer

Making Fake Snow

The stuff you buy in the fabric store for stuffing pillows might work. Or maybe shaving cream. (01/08/2007)

Making Fake Snow

Thank you, I will try your ideas, I think the Ivory Flakes Soap might work cause I need something that would let me do whatever I want with the "snow".
(01/08/2007)

Making Fake Snow

I heard somewhere when they were discussing using snow in a commercial that using shredded plastic, white of course...like white garbage bags, try a "shredder " to shred paper to see if it gives you what you want...just a thought ?) (01/09/2007)

By jeanne

Making Fake Snow

My mother and I used to make candles to achieve a snow effect we would melt paraffin wax and an use an egg beater while it was cooling, for a sparkle effect we would use a shimmer glitter in the cooling process while using the the egg beater. Also using by grating it after gives "flakes" of snow that glimmer in the light. (01/14/2007)

By easycrafter

Making Fake Snow

Hi! I'm also looking for ways to make snow! I'm decorating a hall (and outside the hall) for my Yr 13 Ball... I'm the Chairperson of the Student Council and have got stuck with making the snow! lol any ideas would be greatly appreciated (our ball is in July so its cold then anyway!) (04/29/2007)

By Dana

Making Fake Snow

Try Sodium Polyacrylate. (A.K.A, a powder that turns into fake snow). Just mix with water and BOOM instant snow! (11/21/2007)

Making Fake Snow

In studio photographers pay top dollar for shredded Styrofoam. You could always collect your own scraps and shred them yourself. (11/24/2007)

January 6, 2007 Flag

I read somewhere about using joint compound for "fake snow".Does anyone have info on this.This stuff you buy is so expensive. And I use a lot of it. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Anita from Pritchett, TX

Answers:

Making Fake Snow

I don't know what you are using the fake snow for so this may not work for you; I used the canned spray foam insulation for what I needed and then painted it with white craft paint. I was able to form what looked like snowdrifts and the foam expands as you spray it. This was for a permanent craft so I wouldn't recommend it for something temporary. (12/01/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Making Fake Snow

I've heard that you'd make it up a bit thinner than usual and use electric beaters to "whip" it up. (12/01/2006)

By Cyinda

Making Fake Snow

If you go to www.google.com and type in... "using joint compound for fake snow" there will be all kinds of ideas. I have seen it used just to coat styrofoam balls in to make them look textured. I hope this helps. (12/01/2006)

By Michele

Crafts Christmas DecorationsJuly 8, 2012
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Snow
Making Snow Muffins
How to Shovel Snow, Man Shoveling Snow
Shoveling Snow
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:41:39 PM on 10.0.2.26 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.