Making Artificial Snow

Category Decorations
Making realistic, artificial snow for displays and crafts can be fun. This guide is about making artificial snow.

I was looking for a way to jazz up some Christmas decorations, etc. and found this quick, easy artificial snow recipe.

Ingredients

Directions

Mix together. Sprinkle mixture over any area you want to decorate after it has been spread with liquid starch or a mixture of 1/2 glue and 1/2 water. Let dry.

Hint: The more sugar, the more sparkle.

By Chris M. from Oshkosh, WI

When I was little my mother used Ivory FLAKES, and whipped them up with water to make snow on our real Christmas tree---- of course we haven't found Ivory FLAKES for years and years. Mom says that Ivory Snow doesn't work the same. But it sure was cool back then.

I think you can get mica flakes from the Vermont Country Store, or something old fashioned like that now.

How do you make Craft Fake Snow Paste? I researched this web site throughly to find out how to make some fake snow paste for using in craft projects on wood and metal surfaces. I put in lots of key word phrases but only found two that I could find. One said to use Epson salts, Elmer's glue and a tiny bit of water, that was a total loss for it turned to goop.

I need it to be pasty and gritty so I can spread it with a wooden craft stick and then when it dries it ends up hard. Walmart no longer sells this type snow paste in there craft department at all. And I need to finish a lot of wooden snowmen and Santa figures using it on them by next week. So if any one has the recipe for this can you please tell me asap?

JC

Try using ivory snow FLAKES and water. I don't remember the ratio of water to flakes. Mix them and use a beater to make the consistency you want, and let dry. It has to be the FLAKES, as the other kind won't work.

They sell tubs of white spackle to which you could add crystal glitter for sparkle. This would work well if what you are looking for is like Aleene's Snow in the jar. It is not too bad for price and would probably last long. This type is premixed just to be spread on.

Well, I know this sounds strange. . . but when I did ceramics over 25 years ago and we needed such a product, we would use a mix of elmer's glue, white acrylic paint and ripped up Kotex pads. Yes, sanitary pads. Minus the plastic liner. It was cotton, dense, and fluffy. Perfect for the snow on our snowmen. I just remember never "offering" the information about the snow's content, unless asked.

Blessings,

I would try the big craft stores. They are usually well stocked. In the east we have "Michael's" and JoAnn's.

I just saw some at the local dollar store. So it's out there. If you need it and anything else doesn't work, just ask, and I'll be able to buy it and send it to you.

Sylvie

I want to thank all of you kind people who sent me ideas and info. After a lot of testing, this is the one I went with that gives good texture and sparkle. I took the advice of the post who suggest spackle. I had a whole bucket in the garage.

I mixed it with a little water and added regular table salt to give it grit. I spread it as thick or thin as I needed it. Then on the top of it while still wet, I sprinkled salt. On some of it i added a tint of light blue acrylic paint to give some of the snow a blueish tint. Below are two of my hand painted wooden items with the paste applied in certain places.

I plan on putting little felt snowmen I made to sit in each corner of the rocker & add a folk checkered rag bow ribbon to the top ot it. The other is an old window I hand painted on. The tiny red Santa was made from brown paper bags, cut in that shape hot glued together, filled with poly fill fiber, then hand painted with paints & the paste I came up with. They were drying, so I took a picture of them to show you all how they turned out. So thanks everyone I appreciate your fast replies! :) Julie

I mix lavender Epson salt with white paint and Elmers glue. You mix it very well. It will get runny once it starts settling. So have a paper towel ready for the water that comes off. No you are not adding water. But you do get a watery substance that is clear running off. (Just a little). You don't have to use lavender. I just prefer to use lavender Epson salt because I craft for a store and I smoke cigarettes. I do not want my items to smell like cigarettes. Besides the fact that lavender smells very good and a soothing and relaxing. The more Epson salt you use the chunkier your snow will be

How do I make "snow" from Ivory flakes?

By Sue from Waukegan, IL

I use a stand-up cheese grater to grate my soap for laundry detergent. I use the side that grates it the finest. If the soap is white it does look like snow. Hope this helps!

I need fake snow that will stick to people for about 10 minutes for a church play. Any ideas? Thanks.

Dale from Springfield, MO

Answers:

I want to know how I can make cheap fake snow for a tv comercial. Someone is going to hold it in his hands, so it has to look very real but it can not be ice because it will be shot in a dessert in the Dominican Republic. I need ideas.

Thank you,

Giselle

Answers:

Making Fake Snow

Try instant mashed potato flakes. They will drift through the air, and you could experiment with mixing up the potatoes to different consistencies to form snow balls. (01/08/2007)

By jean

Making Fake Snow

I don't know if they still make Ivory Flakes Soap for clothes or not, but I remember we used to get it, and add enough water to make a paste, and whip it with an electric mixer to make snow. You could put it on your tree, or wherever you wanted "snow". (01/08/2007)

By Jennifer

Making Fake Snow

The stuff you buy in the fabric store for stuffing pillows might work. Or maybe shaving cream. (01/08/2007)

Making Fake Snow

Thank you, I will try your ideas, I think the Ivory Flakes Soap might work cause I need something that would let me do whatever I want with the "snow".
(01/08/2007)

Making Fake Snow

I heard somewhere when they were discussing using snow in a commercial that using shredded plastic, white of course...like white garbage bags, try a "shredder " to shred paper to see if it gives you what you want...just a thought ?) (01/09/2007)

By jeanne

Making Fake Snow

My mother and I used to make candles to achieve a snow effect we would melt paraffin wax and an use an egg beater while it was cooling, for a sparkle effect we would use a shimmer glitter in the cooling process while using the the egg beater. Also using by grating it after gives "flakes" of snow that glimmer in the light. (01/14/2007)

By easycrafter

Making Fake Snow

Hi! I'm also looking for ways to make snow! I'm decorating a hall (and outside the hall) for my Yr 13 Ball... I'm the Chairperson of the Student Council and have got stuck with making the snow! lol any ideas would be greatly appreciated (our ball is in July so its cold then anyway!) (04/29/2007)

By Dana

Making Fake Snow

Try Sodium Polyacrylate. (A.K.A, a powder that turns into fake snow). Just mix with water and BOOM instant snow! (11/21/2007)

Making Fake Snow

In studio photographers pay top dollar for shredded Styrofoam. You could always collect your own scraps and shred them yourself. (11/24/2007)

I read somewhere about using joint compound for "fake snow".Does anyone have info on this.This stuff you buy is so expensive. And I use a lot of it. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Anita from Pritchett, TX

Answers:

Making Fake Snow

I don't know what you are using the fake snow for so this may not work for you; I used the canned spray foam insulation for what I needed and then painted it with white craft paint. I was able to form what looked like snowdrifts and the foam expands as you spray it. This was for a permanent craft so I wouldn't recommend it for something temporary. (12/01/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Making Fake Snow

I've heard that you'd make it up a bit thinner than usual and use electric beaters to "whip" it up. (12/01/2006)

By Cyinda

Making Fake Snow

If you go to www.google.com and type in... "using joint compound for fake snow" there will be all kinds of ideas. I have seen it used just to coat styrofoam balls in to make them look textured. I hope this helps. (12/01/2006)

By Michele