Making Cake Mixes Taste "From Scratch"

When making a cake mix cake, I use milk instead of water. I measure the required milk in a 2 cup mixing cup. Then I add the correct amount of oil and eggs. I beat the cake mix to get the lumps out and then gradually add what is in the 2 cup measuring cup.

Once it is blended well, I scrape the bowl and then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. I then pour the batter in a prepared 9x13 inch pan and bake it a 300 degrees F for about 45 minutes. Baking it with a lower heat makes the cake rise more evenly and keeps the cake from having narrow edges and a high center of the cake.

People that eat my cakes can't believe I used a cake mix. They say it tastes like a "scratch" cake.

By Sue from Chester, SC

Answers:

Making Cake Mixes Taste "From Scratch"

I quit using cake mixes and now make all my own cakes. Home made cakes don't contain all the chemicals that you find in a cake mix. (04/16/2009)

By MCW

Making Cake Mixes Taste "From Scratch"

Good idea! I found that following the beat for 2 minutes directions helped.

Also, straight from my a chef's mouth, use a tsp of vanilla, it helps cut down on the cloying sweetness from boxed cakes, any flavor.

And I realize that from scratch cakes are good, but you can find box mixes on sale for less than a dollar a LOT of the time, the ingredients to make from scratch, cost way more than that! (04/16/2009)

By michawnpita

Making Cake Mixes Taste "From Scratch"

Thanks for the great tip! I love making from scratch cakes but they can be very time consuming. The lower heat setting will help a lot also. (04/19/2009)

By Chevygirl

Making Cake Mixes Taste "From Scratch"

For goodness sake, just make your cakes from scratch - far better for you with no preservatives! (04/20/2009)

By Kings Kid

Cake Mix in Bowl With Wisk
Improving Boxed Cake Mixes
Biscuits made from scratch.
Making Biscuits From Scratch
Brownies
Improving Boxed Brownie Mixes
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄