Making Candles from Old Wax

My candle recipe uses wax from all types of old candles. I have 1 pillar candle from a store which was made improperly, so it goes out when the melted wax gets too deep. So I will melt it down and use it for a candle.

1. First I buy wicks from the store, about 10 for $1.50. These work better than cotton string which goes out easily.
  2. I use a hot fudge jar for the candle. Why? Because it's clear and will shed light when the candle wick gets lower, and hot fudge jars are made to resist heat. They are made to be heated in the microwave. Other jars are not heat resistant (like salsa jars).
  3. I have one dedicated jar for melting wax. I put it in a pot 1/2 full of water, put the burner at about 33% heat and let the wax melt. This takes about 20 minutes.
  4. I add a wick to each hot fudge jar, then fill the jar with wax. If the wick moves I center it with my fingers. Let wax cool.
  5. To speed cooling, put jars in fridge. Keep melted wax on low, you will need to fill in the candles later.
  6. As the wax cools it forms a depression in each jar. This is normal. "Top off" the wax as soon as the candle is hard, about 10 minutes in the fridge.
  7. Candles may need one more "topping off" then they are done.
Use as a normal candle. These candles will have a hurricane shield as the wick gets lower.

Chuck R. from Kentwood, MI

Answers:

Making Candles from Old Wax

I too make my own "emergency" candles from my leftover favorites. I was taught to glue the candle wick (save the wick holders from old candles) to the bottom of the jar with hot glue to keep it from moving. Works like a charm and of course, hot glue the top of the wick to a bamboo skewer and the skewer to the jar rim to keep it in place. (01/11/2006)

By Yorkiemom2

Making Candles from Old Wax

I've been doing this for years, too. I also buy old/used candles at yard sales, sometimes for as little as 5-10 cents to melt down. They are from past holidays (Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc.). I finally broke down and got some candle molds for pillars and votives. I just got done making 6 pillars. (01/11/2006)

By susanmajp

Making Candles from Old Wax

You can use "roach clips" attached to a stick to secure the wicks to the tops of the jar.

You can also use sinkers to weight the wick (keeping it centered) in the bottom of the jar.

As for emergency candles you can use toilet paper rolls, simply tape the bottoms of them. You should remove the roll once the wax is dry though, or you'll likely have a new emergency.
Q (02/17/2006)

By Qryztufre

Reusing Candle Wax
Making Candles from Old Candle Wax
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
candle
Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
Using Leftover Candle Wax, Melted Candles
Using Leftover Candle Wax
Wax Paper Flowers
Making Wax Paper Placemats
🎄
🍂