Making Ceramic Tile Less Slippery

A bathroom with ceramic tile.
As beautiful as tile floors can be, the smooth surface can be slick. This guide is about making ceramic tiles less slippery.

I have a ceramic floor that became very slippery all of a sudden. I have tried degreasers, etc., but nothing helps. What can I do?

Roberta from Boca Raton, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I don't know if my solution worked for ceramic tile, but it worked like a dream on my linoleum tile. I use a refillable spray bottle (found in our local Wal-mart's Health & Beauty Dept for 99 cents) for my canola oil instead of Pam spray. Last time I refilled my bottle, I made a HUGE mess when the bigger bottle slipped out of my hands and landed on the floor. Yuck!

Once we sopped up as much of the spill as we could with paper towels, the floor was still extremely greasy. We're on a fixed income, so couldn't afford commercial degreaser. It occurred to us that our dish washing liquid is touted for its greas-busting ability, so we decided to try that. We squeezed a generous amount straight on the floor, then pulled out the mop and a bucket full of hot water to rinse. After the second (lighter) application, no more slips!

Sprinkle baking soda on it and let stand for a few hour and sweep up and mop it should absorb any thing slick on floor.

First of all, you need to make sure you are cleaning your ceramic tile frequently and properly, or it can significantly contribute to the ceramic tile being too slippery. Use the tile cleaning solution and scrub the floor with a brush on an extended handle. Then use a wet and dry vacuum to pick up all the dirty water.

For Slippery problem. There's a solution you can buy and apply that makes floors non-slip. I can't remember what it was called but I bought it from a tile shop and was suitable for ceramic and linoleum flooring. Good luck.

Is there a way to increase the coefficient of friction for my tile floors? My wife and I just had our first baby and need to baby-proof the house! This includes fixing the tile flooring in the living room and kitchen. Is there a way that I can increase the grip on the tile so that it has more footing? I just want to make sure that our baby is as safe as possible.

By David M from Costa Mesa, CA

I used a product called Johnny Grip a few months back after a friend suggested it to me and was pleased with the results. Afterwards, the traction was virtually doubled and I felt a lot more grip when walking across the floor in my socks. I bought it from their website at http://www.slip  of-friction-tile and it got to me less than a week later. Check it out for yourself!

Thanks Danward, I ordered some so I will let you know how it works out when I get it :)

We sanded the soles of our children's toddler shoes (leather was what was used back for baby shoe soles in the 70s and 80s). That gave them better traction.

We also let them go barefoot in the house most of the time and that seemed to help even on the lino floor-great traction and good for the feet too. They never had any hard tumbles resulting in trips to ER falling in the kitchen, but then again they weren't permitted to roam freely because I was always worried one of them would climb the range or eat cleaning powders under the sink.

Congratulations on the new baby. My youngest is 29 year old. Someday yours will be too:)

frugalsunnie had the best solution I could ever come up with. You don't want to put non-skid anything on your floors because, take it from someone who's been there, you're more quick to fall that way than from the floor being too slick. Your feet will want to go but won't skid like they need to and you'll end up head over heels. To get the idea, buy a roll of rubber shelf liner and try to walk on it.

Do like Frugalsunnie said and sand your shoe soles. Also go barefoot whenever possible. If these solutions don't do it for you, then I'd suggest putting some area rugs down.

Thanks for the help everyone, I ended up buying the Johnny Grip the day I posted this thread. I put it on my floor over the weekend and it really works !

No more slippery tile :)

What's a good anti-slip floor treatment for my ceramic tile floors?

By killerdimples from Sun City, AZ

I treated my tile floors with a product called Johnny Grip earlier this year and I'm glad I did. They are much safer to walk on now and I don't slip and slide as much.

Is this the correct site? http://www.slipperytile.com

Yes sir that is the one!

Can anyone tell me about a cheap way to make my ceramic tile floors less slippery?

By curreynolds from Spokane, WA

I live in a hot country and have ceramic tile floors all through my home. I've learnt that the best way to clean them is with just plain water and a mop. I don't have slippery tiles any more.

I used this nonslip tile treatment called Johnny Grip awhile ago and it was less than 50 bucks and they even offered free shipping.

Just looked them up online and I think that's perfect. Thank you for your help!

Is there a non-slip treatment that I can apply to my porcelain tile to make it less slippery?

By hiphophood from Castle Rock, CO

Check out a company called Johnny Grip. I ordered it online last year for my tile in the bathroom. I've been pretty impressed with the results.

Alright, thanks.