Making Coffee In a Percolator

I recently bought an old 10-12 cup aluminum stove top coffee pot (percolator) in very good condition. I would like to make some coffee, but don't know the correct way to brew it. I would appreciate any help. Also, is the coffee measured out the same as an automatic coffee maker? Thanks for any ideas.

Mike

Answers:

Making a Coffee In a Percolator

I love perked coffee and it stays hot longer in a thermos.
Use 1 coffee scoop of grounds (not fine grind) for every 2 cups of coffee and perk for 4 minutes. Remove the stem and basket if you won't be using all the coffee as soon as it is made. Enjoy. (09/28/2005)

By siris

Making a Coffee In a Percolator

You can find info on coffee packages concerning amounts of coffee grind to use, but that all depends on how weak or strong you like your coffee; that's just a trial and error experience. Most important thing you should know is to run boiling water through your pot and grind dispenser before the first use so the coffee won't have an after taste. I use an old fashion drip pot and that has always happened to me when it's not used for a while. Hope this helps, enjoy your coffee!

Kajun Connie (09/30/2005)

By Connie(guest post)

Making a Coffee In a Percolator

I use a percolator when we go camping. If you use a gas burner make sure you move the pot so that the flame burns where the stem is. That way the water will "perk". I heat up the water until just under a boil, then move the pot over. Also, once it starts to perk, turn the flame down or else you will perk lots of grinds into the coffee water and have a lot of texture! If that happens, the grinds will mostly settle to the bottom of the pot and your cup. The coffee should still be tasty if you can get over the lumps. The full size pots usually hold 10 cups, so I just measure for the percolator the same as I do a drip. I let it perk for about 5 minutes. Any more than that makes the coffee too strong for me. Hope this helps. (10/02/2005)

By Donna

Making Coffee In a Percolator

I inherited a percolator when my mother passed away. I forgot how much better the flavor is, and threw away the old brewer I was using. One tablespoon per cup, watch the color in the glass dome to your satisfaction. (12/02/2008)

By Richard

Coffee Percolator
Making Coffee in a Percolator
Stainless Steel Coffee Pot
Cleaning a Stainless Steel Coffee Pot
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
Vietnamese Iced Coffee, Saigon Style
Making Vietnamese Coffee (Cafe Sua Da)
🎄