Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker

Category Beverages
cup of coffee
You don't have to have a coffee maker to brew a great cup of coffee. This is a guide about making coffee without a coffee maker.

The pleasure of drinking coffee is twofold. One is perceiving its scent, the other is perceiving its taste. Most perfumes are a blend of scents. One of these scents is perceived by the brain before the others. This one scent is called 'the top note'.

Coffee has a top note, as well. It is delicate and lasts for only a few minutes. Most of it is destroyed during the boiling stage of brewing. I prepare my coffee in such a way as to preserve that top note. I want it 'right now' fresh with that top note intact, so I make it one cup at a time.

I put a cup of water into a glass electric kettle and turn it on. I have a sieve with a stainless steel wire basket. It is just the right size to fit over my coffee cup. I set the sieve on my coffee cup. I put a filter in the sieve and coffee grounds in the filter. In that short time, the water is boiling. I pour half over the coffee grounds. A few seconds later, when that settles, I pour the other half.

The coffee is quickly and gently brewed, not cooked. You can taste and smell its top note. It is delicious. If you are a coffee fanatic and try this method, you may never again want coffee that is cooked for a few minutes and then sits for even ten minutes.

I know. My method is not practical for a family gathering. But for those times you want to treat yourself to something special, go for it!

That old stained sieve looks as if I have used it for this purpose for many years. I have.

Source: My search for that perfect cup of coffee

A week ago, I broke our carafe to our coffee maker. My husband and I had already gone shopping so we had a full can of coffee. We were out of instant coffee, which made this an emergency, at least for me! My husband to the rescue. He made his own instant pouch using a coffee filter, twist tie and boiling water. Here are the instructions.

1. Take 2 teaspoon per (8 oz.)cup of coffee.

2. Add this to a coffee filter.

3. Tie filter with twist tie or string.

4. Drop filter into a pot of boiling water (16 oz. of water)

5. Let coffee and filter simmer in hot water to desired color. The darker the stronger your coffee will taste.
It's like boiling a tea bag in a pot of water. Sorry about my pic of my coffee, I also spilled non-dairy coffee creamer. No matter, I just did not feel like getting up to take a better pic, but I did enjoy my cup of coffee.

Due to extended electrical outages caused by the last two hurricanes, we have discovered a few tips for coping with no electricity. The first couple days we made do with instant coffee. We have a gas range, so could heat water in a kettle. Then I discovered a simple way to use my coffee maker even though there was no electricity.

Just prepare the coffee and filter in the usual way. Bring your kettle of water to a boil. Pour enough in your coffee filter basket to fill your filter, being careful not to overfill it or the coffee grounds will spill over the top. Set the filter and the pot in place. As the water runs through, just repeat this step until you have enough water to fill the pot. Pour the coffee into a thermos to keep it warm or reheat on the stove in a pan as needed.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Just in case you forget to bring a coffee stirrer along with your instant coffee, use the sachet packaging. When you are outdoors, you won't be bringing a spoon just for stirring coffee wherever you want to drink it. After emptying a sachet, fold it three times and use it as your coffee stirrer. Just make sure it's all cleaned up. Wipe it up before using.

My coffee machine is broken. Is there another way I can brew my fresh coffee grounds?

By Barbara

Best Answer

I read the following information on a website:

Do you have a clean pair of old pantyhose stockings that you can no longer wear? Cut off one of the legs and then pour your fresh coffee grounds in the leg. Tie a knot in the end. Boil a pot of water, and then put the stocking into the water and let it steep for a while like you would a tea bag, until it is strong enough to your liking. If the information on the website is right, you will have some fresh coffee. This is a temporary remedy until you can buy another coffee maker.

Best Answer

You can put coffee in a filter and pour boiling water through it.

Best Answer

You could also make "hobo coffee" by simply boiling the fresh grounds in a sauce pan until you get the strength of coffee you like, then either filter it (see above) or just carefully pour out the coffee leaving most of the grinds in the pan. (In the Middle East they have finely ground coffee that they make this way in special little pots.)

If a person had regular grind coffee how can a good pot/cup of coffee be made without the use of any kind of brewer?

By Lnda G. J.

Answers

If you look hard enough you can find the type of coffee pot that you use on top of a stove. That is what my parents used until the day they died. I don't know if the pot comes with instructions but I bet if you google the topic you can find directions. I haven't made coffee for years because I no longer have guests that are coffee drinkers.

I just looked on Amazon and they have all kinds of stove top coffee pots (percolators). I also googled how to make coffee in one of these and there are detailed instructions. The only thing is they mentioned using some type of filter in the pot, but my folks never did. You do get a few of the grounds in the bottom of your cup, but the farmers where I grew up never minded a few grounds left in the bottom of the cup.

Where they sell camping stuff you can find a top of the stove coffee pot we aways Percolated For seven minutes

My husband likes the occasional cup of coffee, but not often enough to buy a coffee maker. My question is instead of having to strain the coffee could I use a tea diffuser in a cup of boiled water and come up with the same thing without having the additional work?

By Momma Ruby from KY

You have several options...

1. You can buy a small cone basket that will fit on a cup and you put a filter in with coffee and pour boiling water thru. A size "2" is perfect and you can generally buy these in the grocery store, in the coffee and tea area.

2. You can buy or make a muslin tea bag. They are sold in health food stores. They are about 2" x 4" with a tie top and can be used for tea, coffee, or to add whole spices to soups, etc. Use just like a regular tea bag. They can be reused until they fall apart.

3. You can get a 1 person french coffee press. Although, it can break and is more expensive than the other two alternatives.

Zoek