Making Coffee in a Percolator

Whether using the pot on the stove or an electric appliance, this was the most common way to make coffee for a long time. This guide is about making coffee in a percolator.

Coffee Percolator
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I just got a Farberware coffee percolator. It uses 3 tablespoons of coffee grounds per 6oz coffee cup. Once the water starts to bubble, how long do I have to let it percolate? Then do I take it off the flame and let it rest? Please be specific, as I have never had a percolator before. Many thanks.

By Araucano

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Once the coffee begins to perk (bubble), let it continue for 5 minutes, then it is ready to drink. It will be very hot, so be careful. Three tablespoons for 6 oz. of water is way too much. I'd measure one tablespoon per cup and see how that turns out, then add more ground coffee next time if it was too weak. It takes a bit of experimentation until you get it right.

Best Answer

Wow, that's gonna be some strong, expensive coffee! Start with 1 Tbl. per cup. Percolator coffee is stronger than drip coffee because the hot water is run over the grounds more than once by bubbling up through the tub unlike a drip which only drips hot water through once.

I have a Farberware electric percolator that seems to have a problem making coffee. It comes out very weak. Any hints as to why?

Bill from NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Have you tried simply increasing the amount of coffee that you put in? I know this is obvious and simple, but sometimes a simple solution is all that is needed.

Read More Answers...

I've been trying to cut down on opportunities to ingest cholesterol laden food and drinks. We just recently started drinking perked coffee as opposed to auto drip. There is a lot of oil in coffee. I had forgotten all about it during the years I was using the drip pot.

I bought some filters for the perc pot but didn't like them so I took a left over basket filter and folded it twice, then cut a tiny hole in the center. It will fit around the stem and can be arranged in the basket to filter your coffee. The basket filters are less expensive too. When I scoop the coffee into the basket I put my finger over the end of the stem to prevent coffee from falling down into the stem. You've probably noticed that I am very picky about my coffee.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How much coffee grinds do I use to make coffee in a 60 cup percolator? I would like to know the same for 20, 30, 40 and 50. I'm hostessing a big BBQ today and need to make the coffee.

Thanks.

By Audrey from Manalapan, NJ

Answers:

Making Coffee In a Percolator

Directions should be on the coffee, if not use 1 teaspoon for each cup. Good luck. (05/29/2010)

By kffrmw88

Making Coffee In a Percolator

Everyone has a formula that works for them! But it all depends of the grind (coarse, regular, fine) and the roast (dark, med, light) and the type of coffee (there are 2 species of coffee, Arabica and Robusta. Arabica is less bitter with less caffeine that Robusta). The basic measurement is from 1 to 2 Tablespoons and usually you'll need 1 heaping tablespoon per cup for perked coffee, but it can be as little as 1 Tablespoon to as much as 2 tablespoons per cup (depending on grind). To make that even more confusing, each brand of coffee maker has different amounts as to what a "cup" of coffee is. It can be anywhere from 6 to 8 ounces and a mug is 8 to 12 ounces.

A coffee scoop filled level contains two tablespoons of coffee. And two tablespoons is what you usually need for a 6 ounce cup of coffee (with a regular grind and a medium roast). But many find this too strong. If it were me, I'd buy a light to medium roast of a quality coffee. The Duncan Donuts brand makes a fairly low cost coffee that is smooth and mellow and not bitter. If you use something like Folgers (coffee Robusta) you'll get a more bitter (but higher caffeine content) coffee.

Perked coffee doesn't make the best coffee because of 2 things, 1) It's run through the grounds over and over and 2) the water is boiling, but you gotta use what you have available!

I start out with one level tablespoon per cup and make as small a batch as you can to test it first. You may need to up the amount to 1 heaping Tablespoon per cup.

Coffee Brewing Method:
http://kaffee.netfirms.com/Coffee/Methods.html

More Info:
www.coffeedetective.com/measure-coffee.html
www.thriftyfun.com/tf219120.tip.html
www.thriftyfun.com/tf656412.tip.html
(05/29/2010)

By Cyinda

Making Coffee In a Percolator

If you look closely at the grounds holder it may have lines showing how full it needs to be. I love perked coffee. If it doesn't say then go by what you use at home in the small coffee maker. Whatever you use for four cups multiply times 15. (06/02/2010)

By Lilac

Making Coffee In a Percolator

I was taught that the 30 cup percolator takes 1 8 oz cup of ground. This is pretty close to the 1 tsp. for every cup made, again a formula from the 1960s. I make good coffee (so I am told, I don't drink it). (06/02/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Making Coffee In a Percolator

To Mike wanting to make coffee in the 10-12 cup aluminum stove top pot. I am presuming you don't have the cup to set grounds in. This is the campers type, only way my father makes coffee and he is 81.

Cold water up the the amount, say 10 cup line. Then 10 tsp measures of coffee in the cold water. Bring to boil, watch, let boil about 5 minutes. Then turn off burner, take pot off, drop in 1 cup cold water. This settles the grounds to the bottom.

Pour up your cup. (06/02/2010)

By TandT Grandma

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I recently bought an old 10-12 cup aluminum stove top coffee pot (percolator) in very good condition. I would like to make some coffee, but don't know the correct way to brew it. I would appreciate any help. Also, is the coffee measured out the same as an automatic coffee maker? Thanks for any ideas.

Mike

Answers:

Making a Coffee In a Percolator

I love perked coffee and it stays hot longer in a thermos.
Use 1 coffee scoop of grounds (not fine grind) for every 2 cups of coffee and perk for 4 minutes. Remove the stem and basket if you won't be using all the coffee as soon as it is made. Enjoy. (09/28/2005)

By siris

Making a Coffee In a Percolator

You can find info on coffee packages concerning amounts of coffee grind to use, but that all depends on how weak or strong you like your coffee; that's just a trial and error experience. Most important thing you should know is to run boiling water through your pot and grind dispenser before the first use so the coffee won't have an after taste. I use an old fashion drip pot and that has always happened to me when it's not used for a while. Hope this helps, enjoy your coffee!

Kajun Connie (09/30/2005)

By Connie(guest post)

Making a Coffee In a Percolator

I use a percolator when we go camping. If you use a gas burner make sure you move the pot so that the flame burns where the stem is. That way the water will "perk". I heat up the water until just under a boil, then move the pot over. Also, once it starts to perk, turn the flame down or else you will perk lots of grinds into the coffee water and have a lot of texture! If that happens, the grinds will mostly settle to the bottom of the pot and your cup. The coffee should still be tasty if you can get over the lumps. The full size pots usually hold 10 cups, so I just measure for the percolator the same as I do a drip. I let it perk for about 5 minutes. Any more than that makes the coffee too strong for me. Hope this helps. (10/02/2005)

By Donna

Making Coffee In a Percolator

I inherited a percolator when my mother passed away. I forgot how much better the flavor is, and threw away the old brewer I was using. One tablespoon per cup, watch the color in the glass dome to your satisfaction. (12/02/2008)

By Richard

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsMay 28, 2013
Stainless Steel Coffee Pot
Cleaning a Stainless Steel Coffee Pot
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
Vietnamese Iced Coffee, Saigon Style
Making Vietnamese Coffee (Cafe Sua Da)
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 8:47:56 PM on 10.0.1.172 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.