Making Crafts With Plarn

Category Other
plarn coin purse
Plarn is yarn made from cut up plastic grocery bags. It has many craft uses, as it can be substituted for acrylic and other yarns in some projects. This is a guide about making crafts with plarn.

This is a guide about making a plarn bag. Plarn, made from plastic bags, is a marvelous substitute for traditional yarn for crafting.

Crocheted Green Plarn Bag

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making a plarn hat. Use plarn plastic bag yarn to make a cute summer hat.

Plarn hat.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Versatile plarn can be used in a wide variety of knit and crochet projects, including making a cute coin purse. This is a guide about making a plarn coin purse.

Plarn coin purse.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I was able to keep the cost down when providing table favors for an event needing 20 items. The solution was to use plarn to make the favors. Plarn is strips of recycled plastic grocery type bags that you use instead of crochet thread or yarn.

There are free patterns on the internet and instructions on how to cut the plarn and join it together to crochet. The example I show used a pattern located on www.crochetpatterncentral.com, plarn, and a large crochet hook. Once at the site select free pattern directory, Christmas, and then snowman family to locate this pattern. I only used the largest one and embellished it to match our theme using felt, sequins, painted sticks, a piece of ribbon for the hat, and a low heat glue gun.

The example shown in the picture is using recycled Wal Mart grocery bags. After cutting the strips you use the scraps or more recycled bags to stuff you project. Recycling the bags kept the cost down to only the embellishments and glue to add them. You can find lots of patterns for more practical items such as scrubbies, tote bags, rugs, and the list goes on and on!

Directions:

This mini Easter egg basket measures 2-1/2 inches wide and 2 inches tall with a 7 inch handle strap

Materials:

Instructions:

Ch 4 and join with a Sl St to form a ring.

Round 1

Ch 1, then work 9 Sc in ring, join with a Sl St to top of Ch 1. (10)

Round 2

Ch 1, Sc in same st, *Sc in next st, 2 Sc in next st*. Repeat between * - * to end of round, joining with a Sl St to top of Ch 1.

Round 3

Ch 1, *work 1 Sc in ea of the next 2 sts, 2 Sc in next st*. Repeat between * to end of rnd. Join with a Sl St to top of Ch 1.

Round 4-5

Ch 1, Sc in FLO around entire basket. This creates a bend for the bottom edge of basket. Join with a Sl St to top of ch 1.

Rounds 6-8

Ch 1. working in both loops now, Sc in ea st around. Join with a Sl St to top of ch 1.

Handle:

Using white plarn still attached from last round, chain 20 for handle. Attach with a Sl St into opposite side so handle in centered and matches other side.

FO and weave ends under. Cut and trim any loose ends too.

Insert ribbon into a st at front of basket and tie a bow.

If you have any questions or find discrepancies in this pattern, please email me using the contact tab.

Abbreviations:

Roll plarn into balls (I used 3) and place them into a clean and dry recycled 2 liter pop bottle (or other bottle). Add crochet hook(s).

To Make Plarn:

If you don't already have a plastic bag collection consider starting one. Consider sorting the bags by color. If you went to 3 stores and each store uses a different color bag, put all the same color from that store into one bag from the same store.

The perfect time to start folding the empty bags into neat squares is when you get home from the store. Straighten out the handles and smooth them. If they are wet, hang them up a while out of the way. If they are a little dirty, wipe them off and let dry. If they are a little torn, that's OK.

Next, when you are less busy, set a good time for yourself to begin cutting the plarn. It may not be comfortable for you or your family to have the whole front room or kitchen buried under so many sacks as you work. You might find it best to do all the cutting a little at a time to stay caught up on it, or pick a good time and get them cut and out of the way. Decide which is best for you.

If you want to tie a lot of knots, then you want to cut your bags into loops. If you would rather tie as few knots as possible, then you want to cut your bag in to one continual piece. I have seen videos for both ways. I like as few knots as possible, but when working with scrap, I find I "take what life hands me."

I recently found a site that explains how to cut more bags faster. After you cut off the handles and cut off the bottom seam, layer several bags smoothly and evenly together - open ends to the left and right and closed sides toward the bottom and top. Fold them up at the bottom until you have only about 3 inches or so at the top then cut as shown in the video.

To Make Gift Bottle:

Cut a door into the plastic pop bottle large enough that the rolled plarn will fit. If you want to cut one or two bags at a time and roll them into a ball or balls and continue to add smaller balls you will need a smaller door.

The lid on the bottle makes cutting the door a little easier. Using a craft knife or a knife from the kitchen drawer, pierce the plastic. I like to pinch the bottle a little bit to make a little crease and saw into the plastic a little until it is punctured. I sometimes finish the door with the same knife. Other times, I get the scissors so the cut is neater. Either way, BE CAREFUL! I rolled a ball a little too large and accidentally tore the door.

Fill the bottle with as many colors or rolled balls as you like. How many it takes to fill up the bottle depends on how many rolls you want to fill it with. There is still room in my bottle to add several other smaller balls of other colors if I want to.

You could create the gift bottles as you get the bags or save them as I mentioned and just add a ball every once in awhile so that it is a random (but pretty and interesting) bottle of colored plarn. You could also focus on 3 or 4 colors only. I like to use the clear bottle so the colors show really nice.

If you know someone who already works with plarn, they won't require an explanation. If not, it may be more of a challenge for you to explain it to them!

Just because you yourself don't work with plarn doesn't mean you can't participate by working up the materials and giving it to someone who uses it.

Look online for projects that use plarn to get project ideas to pass on to whoever you give the bottled plarn to.

Have fun!

By melody yesterday from Otterville, MO

This is a guide about eliminating static in plastic bags used for plarn. When crocheting with this thin plastic, you need to control the static.

Colorful plastic bags on a white background.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about crocheting a rug using plarn - plastic yarn. Cutting grocery bags into strips makes a durable and very inexpensive material for making throw rugs for your kitchen, bathroom, and entryways.

A bunch of plastic bags to be made into plarn.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My computer has a heavy duty security system and will not allow the instructions for making plarn. Could someone email the directions to me directly? I have a lot of bags and would like to knit some outdoor rugs and chair seats. I have 8 feral cats who love sitting on my cushions and I think the Plarn would be a great alternative... plus I'm recycling.

By Sandra V

I read somewhere, probably here, that you can cut plastic bags into strips of uniform width for plarn. I assume you would tie them together or attach them like you would a different color crochet thread. I don't crochet so I can't explain that part of the process.