Making Crafts With Plarn

Category Other
Plarn is yarn made from cut up plastic grocery bags. It has many craft uses, as it can be substituted for acrylic and other yarns in some projects. This is a guide about making crafts with plarn.

Crocheted Green Plarn Bag

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making a plarn bag. Plarn, made from plastic bags, is a marvelous substitute for traditional yarn for crafting.

Plarn coin purse.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Versatile plarn can be used in a wide variety of knit and crochet projects, including making a cute coin purse. This is a guide about making a plarn coin purse.

Plarn hat.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a plarn hat. Use plarn plastic bag yarn to make a cute summer hat.

I was able to keep the cost down when providing table favors for an event needing 20 items. The solution was to use plarn to make the favors. Plarn is strips of recycled plastic grocery type bags that you use instead of crochet thread or yarn.

There are free patterns on the internet and instructions on how to cut the plarn and join it together to crochet. The example I show used a pattern located on www.crochetpatterncentral.com, plarn, and a large crochet hook. Once at the site select free pattern directory, Christmas, and then snowman family to locate this pattern. I only used the largest one and embellished it to match our theme using felt, sequins, painted sticks, a piece of ribbon for the hat, and a low heat glue gun.

The example shown in the picture is using recycled Wal Mart grocery bags. After cutting the strips you use the scraps or more recycled bags to stuff you project. Recycling the bags kept the cost down to only the embellishments and glue to add them. You can find lots of patterns for more practical items such as scrubbies, tote bags, rugs, and the list goes on and on!

Directions:

That is very beautiful! I am going to look and see if I can make something out of plarn. I love it!

Colorful plastic bags on a white background.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about eliminating static in plastic bags used for plarn. When crocheting with this thin plastic, you need to control the static.

An Easter basket made from plarn.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This mini Easter egg basket measures 2-1/2 inches wide and 2 inches tall with a 7 inch handle strap. It uses one ball of white plastic bags cut into strips 1 inch wide and interlocked to create a "ball of plarn" to crochet with. (Approx. 3-4 bags)

Roll plarn into balls (I used 3) and place them into a clean and dry recycled 2 liter pop bottle (or other bottle). Add crochet hook(s).

A bunch of plastic bags to be made into plarn.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about crocheting a rug using plarn - plastic yarn. Cutting grocery bags into strips makes a durable and very inexpensive material for making throw rugs for your kitchen, bathroom, and entryways.

My computer has a heavy duty security system and will not allow the instructions for making plarn. Could someone email the directions to me directly? I have a lot of bags and would like to knit some outdoor rugs and chair seats. I have 8 feral cats who love sitting on my cushions and I think the Plarn would be a great alternative... plus I'm recycling.

By Sandra V

I read somewhere, probably here, that you can cut plastic bags into strips of uniform width for plarn. I assume you would tie them together or attach them like you would a different color crochet thread. I don't crochet so I can't explain that part of the process.