Making Crocheted Barbie Doll Furniture

A wonderful gift can be created for a special young person. This guide is about making crochet Barbie doll furniture.

Making Crocheted Barbie Doll Furniture
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Complete bedroom suite.This is the third and final part of the crocheted furniture for Barbie or other small dolls. Since pink is Barbie's signature color, pulled out all of the pink yarns I could find. But if your little interior decorator doesn't like pink or would rather have a blue bedroom that is up to you.

Again you are making slip covers for the bases which are made out of polystyrene or Styrofoam or cigarette boxes. If made with the polystyrene or cigarette boxes this is pretty light weight furniture so why not make a duffel bag to store it in and make it portable. Another idea would be to find a small suitcase, decoupage the outside and store the furniture in it. The suit case will have pockets that they can store any accessories that you make. An average crocheter working in the evenings should be able to finish the bedroom set in a week.

Some tips: Due to the fact that all people have different tension, you can measure your starting chain against your block of polystyrene or cigarette boxes. Then just adjust the pattern from there.

The chaise can be made a solid color by making two bottom pieces and the back can be made solid by not doing the color changes.

I am sure that a lot of you know someone who smokes, if they smoke soft packs ask them to switch to the box for a carton and you will have plenty of cigarette box's to use. I choose cigarette box's because they are plentiful for anyone to get there hands on and they litter our highways and byways. This is a good wholesome way to get rid of them. Also if your child is allergic to nicotine they can be sprayed with a clear sealer before hand to seal in the nicotine from the tobacco residue. Use your creativity if you don't like the ruffles on any of the furniture leave it off. This will make a more modern bedroom set. You could also take my patterns and sew with fabric slip covers for the different pieces.

Materials

• scrap yarn
  • G crochet hook
  • polystyrene or Styrofoam cut to 10 inches in length by 6 7/8 wide by 1 3/4 thick for bed base
  • polystyrene or Styrofoam cut to 7 inches in length by 5 1/2 inches wide by 3/4 inch thick for headboard
  • polystyrene or Styrofoam cut to 9 1/2 inches in length by 5 1/2 inches wide by 1 3/4 thick for chaise base
  • polystyrene or Styrofoam cut to 5 1/2 inches in length by 4 1/2 inches wide by 3/4 inch thick for chaise back
  • 4 regular boxes from cigarettes, 2 each glued together or a block of polystyrene or Styrofoam cut to 3 1/2 inches length by 2 3/8 inches wide by 2 1/4 inches thick for each night stand
  • 5 regular boxes from cigarettes that are glued together or a block of polystyrene or Styrofoam cut to 5 inches length by 3 1/2 inches wide by 2 1/4 inches thick for five drawer chest
  • 6 100s boxes from cigarettes; glue 3 high in two stacks and then the two stacks glued side by side or polystyrene or Styrofoam cut to 8 1/2 length 3 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches thick for dresser
  • polystyrene or cardboard cut to 9 inches in length by 5 inches wide by 3/4 inches thick for back of dresser
  • 2 beads for each drawer of nightstands
  • 6 beads for each drawer of the dresser
  • 5 beads for each drawer of the 5 drawer chest
  • beading wire
  • foil
  • glue

Bed

Top and Bottom: Make 2 total

Chaise lounge.

Row 1: Chain 27 in third chain from hook Dc and in each stitch across. Chain 2, turn.
Row 2-17: Dc in each stitch across Chain 2 turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Center Band:

Row 1: Chain 9 in third chain from hook Dc and in each stitch across
Row 2-52: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2, turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Assembly: Slip Stitch top to center band, then slip stitch bottom on leaving enough room to slide in polystyrene or Styrofoam then continue closing. Add ruffle to bottom.
Ruffle:
Three Dc in every other stitch around bottom of bed. With contrasting color attach and make picot edging (Chain 4 slipstitch between shells on ruffle) all the way around.

Headboard: Make 2

Row 2-9: Dc in each stitch across Chain 2, turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Assembly: Slip stitch two pieces together with polystyrene or Styrofoam in between layers.
Ruffle:
Three Dc in every other stitch around top and sides leaving bottom with no ruffle. With contrasting color attach and make picot edging (Chain 4 slipstitch between shells on ruffle) all the way around.

Pillow: Make 2

Row 1: Chain 17 in third chain from hook Dc and in each stitch across. Chain 2, turn.
Row 2-5: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2, turn except for last row.

Assembly: Slip stitch together with polystyrene or stuffing between layers.
Ruffle: 3 dc evenly spaced around edges. Bed Assembly: Whip stitch headboard to bed base. Whip stitch pillow to center of bed.

Striped Chaise Lounge

Top of Base: Make: 1

Row 1: Chain 22 in third chain from hook Sc and in each stitch across. Chain 2, turn.
Row 2: Sc in each stitch across until last stitch work until last two loops on hook and make a loop of contrasting color and work through last two loops (Color change made) Chain 2 turn.
Row 3: With contrasting color Sc in each stitch across. Repeat color change. Chain 2, turn.
Continue in Pattern, 2 rows main color one row contrasting color until you have completed 29 rows ending with 2 rows main color.

Bottom of Base

Row 1: Chain 22 in third chain for hook Dc and in each stitch across Chain 2 turn.
Row 2-17: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Center Band:

Row 2-50: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2, turn except for last row. Fasten off and work in ends.

Assembly of Base of Chaise Lounge: Same as for bed with out the ruffle.

Back of Chaise Lounge: Make 2

Continue in Pattern, 2 rows main color one row contrasting color until you have completed 13 rows ending with 1 row main color.

Assembly: Same as for headboard on bed without the ruffle.

Nightstand

Make: 2 Dresser, night stand, etc.

Top and bottom:

Row 1 Chain 14 in third chain from hook Dc and each stitch across, Chain 2 turn.
Row 2-4 Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Sides: Make 2

Row 1: Chain 10 and in third chain from hook Dc and in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn.
Row 2-3: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Back: Make 1

Row 1: Chain 14 in third chain from hook Dc and each stitch across, Chain 2 turn.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Front: Make 2

Row 1: Chain 12 in third chain from hook Dc and each stitch across, Chain 2 turn.
Row 2: slip stitch along row, down across the end, back up the other side and across the last end. Fasten off and work in ends. Slip stitch in back loops only both drawer fronts together in center. Wire a bead on each for drawer handle.

Assembly: Slip stitch sides and front and back together. Slip stitch top on to sides and front and back. Put in your boxes or polystyrene. Slip stitch bottom on enclosing box's or polystyrene. Work in ends.

Five Drawer Chest

Front and Back:

Row 2-4: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Center Band:

Row 1: Chain 10 in third chain from hook Dc and in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn.
Rows 2-28: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2, Turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Assembly: On the front of your piece of your chest, wire 5 beads evenly down the front. Slip stitch front and back to center band, work in ends.

Dresser with Mirror

Front and Back of Base

Row 1: Chain 33 in third chain from hook Dc and in each stitch across. Chain 2 Turn.
Row 2-4: Dc in each stitch Chain 2 turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Center Band:

Row 1: Chain 12 in third chain from hook Dc and in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn.
Rows 2-37: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2, turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Assembly: On front panel evenly space 3 beads on one side of front and three beads on the other side. (Dividing it in half). Slip stitch center band together to form ring and then slipstitch front and back to ring with base in between.

Backing to Mirror:

Row 1: Chain 22 in third chain from hook Dc and in each stitch across.
Row 2-16: Dc in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn except for last row.
Fasten off and work in ends.

Assembly: Slip stitch together over polystyrene. Whip stitch to base. Add mirror.

Bar for Mirror:

Row 1: Chain 27 in 2 chain from hook sc and in each stitch across.
Fasten off and work in your ends. Tie knot at each end.
Mirror is a piece of foil folded to make thicknesses to desired size and glue into place with crocheted bar glued above it.

I think every one should have a Barbie bedroom. I hope that crocheters out there have enjoyed this series. But please remember that these are just the basic pieces. By now you have caught on to the fact that there are many different shapes you can come up with. Cigarette boxes could be stacked to make an entertainment center or a long table. You can cut Styrofoam easily enough to make any shape you would wish to cover. I tried to keep the shapes simple and did not use fancy stitches so I could keep it quick and easy, but you could use other stitches as well to make it different.

I also did not make any accessories which I figure you all would like to play around with. But here are some suggestions: Buy a small terracotta pot at a craft store (I know Michael's sells them) and add some silk flowers or leaves and you have potted plants. Lamp shades can be made from those little medicine cups and painted or a bead trim added and a medicine bottle could be used as the base. Crochet a small afghan and throw it on the bed or chaise or couch. You could also make more pillows. Crochet around a square base and it could become a computer or a TV set.

Barbie could have a play room or rec room by taking the couch pattern and adding the table and chairs from the kitchen and maybe the china hutch. More cabinets for the kitchen could be made by covering more bases. A couple of chaises and the table and chairs could be used for a sun room. Barbie could have an office with the five drawer chest as a file cabinet and stacking boxes for a desk. Three boxes on each side with beads wired on for drawer handles and a small polystyrene top would easily make the desk. If anyone comes up with more ideas, write an article and send it into Thriftyfun. I would love to see what you have done.

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Calling all little girls that love their Barbies or that have little dolls that need some furniture. Have I got a deal for you! This is number 1 in a three part series of articles about easy doll house furniture. Next week will be a crocheted kitchen and the week after that her bedroom.

Living room grouping with dolls.

Does anyone have patterns for crocheted doll furniture?

By CH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read More Answers...

I would like to find out how to make furniture for Barbie dolls.

By Breeze from San Dimas, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

the castle

Read More Answers...

This is a guide about saving money on Barbie accessories. Buying things for a Barbie doll can be expensive. Using your imagination, there are many doll accessories that you can create from other things.

Barbie

Look what's cooking! Barbie is in the kitchen. This is the second in the series of Barbie or other small doll crocheted furniture. Please feel free to change colors to fit more with what your little interior decorator would like.

Crochet Barbie kitchen

I'm looking for patterns for crocheted doll furniture of all kinds. Can anyone help?

Kelly from Stanton, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to the looking for answer box at the top of the Thrifty fun and type in crocheted doll furniture. You will find a living room, bedroom, dining room and kitchen all crocheted.

Deb

I need Barbie furniture patterns for my grand kids.

Jan from St. James, MO

Answers:

Patterns for Barbie Furniture

This reply is not about the furniture but plants and accessories. Many years ago my husband made a
Barbie house for our niece. He made most of the furniture out of wood (with no pattern), and they turned out really good. But we felt like it needed "something". I cut out framed pictures from magazines and catalogs and placed them on the walls.

For the plants and planters I used bottle caps of different sizes for different plants. I spray painted them if they needed it, turned them upside down and put some green floral Styrofoam inside. Then I started "hunting" for the plants. I used leaves, stems, and other parts of fake plants. I stuck them in the green Styrofoam and fluffed them out.

It took a little experimenting, but they looked great. Once you get started just let your imagination go and run with it. Good luck.

Margaret from Denton, TX (10/28/2008)

By matjat

Patterns for Barbie Furniture

I have just purchased a pattern from Annie's Attic and it has several patterns for furniture. (05/27/2009)

By grahams222

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am searching for free patterns for Barbie furniture to make for my granddaughter. I would like crochet and plastic canvas patterns.

Kathy from Orlando, FL

Answers:

Patterns For Barbie Furniture

I have some plastic canvas patterns and I could copy them and mail them. I made the bedroom furniture and the living room, they turned out really nice. The living room even has a fireplace, lamps, rug,lots of stuff.

I have the kitchen, bedroom, living room and dining room let me know which ones you want and I will send them. (09/16/2008)

By PICO

Patterns For Barbie Furniture

If you have a good sized library in your city, you can most of the time find them there. I live in Salem OR and mine has the books for each room.

I also just googled it and came up with enough to keep you busy for a long time! Just put in what is below and you will find something you can use. Plastic canvas barbie furniture: (09/17/2008)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Patterns For Barbie Furniture

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm looking for patterns for plastic canvas Barbie doll furniture.

Tina from Canada

Answers:

Plastic Canvas Barbie Doll Furniture

There is an item on E-Bay for patterns. Item # 190017077447--check that out. It costs $1.50 and $1.00 postage. I also checked on Google, and one site was a previous Thriftyfun posting. Several ideas you may want to check out. http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf609211.tip.html
(10/09/2006)

By WIsgal

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Crochet PatternsOctober 12, 2012
mini hangers
DIY Paper Clip Barbie Clothes Hangers
Barbie Doll
Restoring a Barbie Doll
Crochet Craft Project Ideas, Close up of Woman Crocheting
Crochet Craft Project Ideas
Barbie
Saving Money on Barbie Accessories
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 1:17:54 AM on 10.0.0.225 in 689 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.