Making Drinking Glasses From Glass Bottles

I would like to make glasses like these from the Pottery Barn. However, I have never worked with glass. Any ideas on how to cut the bottles, and then smooth the edges? Thanks.

Michelle

Answers:

If you Google "bottle cutter", you will get lots of results that have the special kit; and it should include the emery cloth to smooth the edges. It should also have good directions for all steps. I saw nice kits for $29.95. (01/02/2009)

By Jilson

This idea has been around for years. When I was a child, my father bought a kit to make his own glasses. He used beer bottles, Pepsi bottles, and any other kind of bottle that suited his fancy.

He did find the kit at one of those " As seen on television" stores. (01/08/2009)

By Karyn01

We tried this years ago with a kit. We never were able to use any of them. We couldn't get them really smooth. It always felt sandy and for the time and trouble, it was cheaper and easier to buy glasses, even second hand if you really want to be frugal. They were also ugly and never looked right. (01/08/2009)

By kibby

There are several video's on youtube showing how to cut glass bottles. I watched them last year because I was going to try it, you know how that goes. It's still on my "like to try list". If I remember, you take cotton string or twine, soak it in nail polish remover, tie it on the bottle where you want it to be cut, set it on fire, and then submerge and snap off the top in a bucket of cold water. (I think the sudden change in temperature breaks it off.) Then you wet sand it smooth. Good luck and let us know the results! (01/08/2009)

By falldowngobump

They never come out right. If you'll notice on your regular drinking glasses, the edge is slightly rounded. The straight cut glass never "feels" right when you drink out of it. (01/13/2009)

By Beth

A photo of a glass cutter with a red handle.
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
bottle and 4 glasses
Making Recycled Perrier Bottle Glasses
Insulated Drinking Glass
Using Insulated Drinking Glasses
🎄