Making Freezer Jams, Jellies, and Pickles

Container of strawberry jam with spoon and loose strawberries in front
Freezing is a very good way to preserve many foods. If you have the space you can experiment with a variety of jams, jellies, and more. This is a guide about making freezer jams, jellies, and pickles.

There are many ways of preserving food. You can can it or you can dehydrate it, but if you have a freezer, you have a world of possibilities. The freezer is not just for storing your meat and TV dinners anymore. Some of us remember our mothers or grandmothers working in the kitchen with boxes of clean jars and lids and rings putting up all of their summer produce. If you were lucky, with all the great smells of the kitchen, came lessons on how to can.

Well, I grew up in California and my mother never canned anything. She told me there was no need anymore because of the advancement of processed foods. Well, we now know that processed foods are not the miracles that some of our mothers thought. With the movement now towards a more natural and healthy diet, our ability to preserve naturally grown produce has brought back the need to preserve our own food.

As I said I never learned how to can. When I talked to girlfriends who grew up with mothers that did can, it seemed like a long and hard process. That is when I started researching how I could freeze my fresh produce. At that time, because I had such a large family, a friend gave us a freezer.

Well, I found out that their were many cookbooks out there with great charts on how to freeze produce and fruits. The basic procedure was wash, cut up and then blanch (plunge in boiling water and then into ice water) and then to package. If you were doing fruit, you added a product called "Fruit Fresh", which is powdered citric acid that would keep the fruit from darkening.

In talking to the many helpful farmers at my local farmers market, I learned a lot of tricks. Like freezing my ear corn with the shucks and all, just pop them in my freezer. When we wanted corn, I just de-frosted them and shucked and cleaned them and we had great corn on the cob well into the winter. I even got some great recipes for tomato based sauces like spaghetti and a tomato base that could be used for any thing from chili to tomato soup. All this and I could freeze it! I was in Seventh Heaven.

This was back in the 80's. A new friend moved into the neighborhood and she gave me some beautiful jars of jams and pickles. I was jealous because I did not know how to can. Well, she explained that I could make pickles and jams that I could freeze. We started that day and she taught me well and she gave me some of her mother's recipes. So here I hope to pass on some of my knowledge to help you to have some of the greatest jams and jellies and pickles you have ever eaten.

Freezer Jam And Jelly

Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, apricots, peaches, cherries and plums and apples. Summer offers fruit at its best, why not preserve some for later? Is the local grocery store having a great sale on raspberries or blueberries then it is the perfect time to make some of these wonderful tasting jams. Not only is it easy and safe, but it tastes remarkably like fresh fruit since the jam is never cooked. It retains all of it's fresh fruity flavor and color.

Jam Ingredients

The ingredients for freezer jam are few, but it's important to follow the recipe exactly if you want reliable and safe results.

Jam Instructions

The process itself is simple. Wash well and stem the fruit (and peel it, if applicable). Place it in a wide-bottomed bowl, preferably plastic, glass or ceramic, as metal can give your jam a off taste. Crush with a potato masher to a smooth consistency, leaving some chunks of fruit if you like. You can also put the fruit in your food processor or a blender. A blender or food processor is also great for making apple sauce or apple butter. Stir in the sugar and let the mixture sit for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, mix together the pectin and water in a small saucepan until the powder is dissolved. Bring it to a boil over high heat, and let it boil for a full minute. Pour it into the fruit and stir for a couple of minutes. Pour the jam into your containers, leaving a half-inch of "headspace" at the top. Cover the containers and let them sit at room temperature for 24 hours.

The jam should have thickened significantly overnight, but it can take up to two weeks for it to completely finish its jelling process. If it's too thick, stirring it will soften it up. If it's still too runny after two weeks, you can pour it into a saucepan and bring it to a boil. It will get thicker as it cools, and you can re-bottle as you did before.

Designer Jams and Jellies: You can mix your fruits. If you like strawberries and raspberries mixed together, try and make some delecious strawberry/raspberry jam.

Storing Your Jam

Freezer jam is meant to be stored in the freezer. In fact, it will keep beautifully in the freezer for up to a year. Store your jams and jellies and pickles in the freezer at 0 degrees or lower. You can also keep freezer jam in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. Once you open a container of jam, you should use it within three weeks as well. Just remember never to keep freezer jam at room temperature, or it will spoil. If you notice a white mold-like formation in your freezer jam or jellies when you take them from the freezer to serve, don't be alarmed. It occasionally forms during storage, it is harmless and will melt away when your jam or jelly reaches room temperature.

Homemade Freezer Jelly

You can use any frozen fruit juice concentrate or canned or bottled juice. The only difference between jams and jelly are that jams usually use whole fruits and jelly uses the juice of the fruit. If you have an orchard near you that makes their own juices from their fruits, you can get some of the more exotic juices like boysenberry, cherry, and blueberry there.

Basic Ratios for Jelly

Apple Jelly

Makes 6 cups

Freezer Pickles

Then there are freezer Pickles which are quick and easy to make. Try any one of these recipes and you won't be buying pickles anymore. These also make great gifts.

Aunt Susie's Freezer Dill Pickles

Directions:

Mix cucumbers, onions, salt and water in a 2 quart non-metal bowl. Let stand 2 hours. Drain after stand time but do not rinse. Return vegetables to bowl and add sugar, cider vinegar and dill weed Stir occasionally until sugar completely dissolves and liquid covers vegetables. Pack wide mouth jars or plastic freezer containers leaving 1 inch head space. Seal tightly and freeze. Defrost in refrigerator or at room temperature.

Aunt Susie's Freezer Sweet Pickles

Directions:

Mix Cucumbers and Onions together and sprinkle with salt; mix well and let stand 2-3 hours. Rinse and drain well. Mix Vinegar and Sugar until sugar is dissolved. Put cucumbers and onions in freezer containers or freezer bags; pour vinegar and sugar mixture over cukes and onions. Freeze 3 weeks before eating, the longer you let them sit the sweeter the pickles. Thaw in refrigerator or in cold water. Aunt Susie's Freezer Hot and Sweet Pickles

Directions:

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Cook sugar, vinegar, and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour mixture over cucumber mixture. Cover and chill 48 hours. Spoon evenly into half-pint or pint canning jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch of room at the top; seal, label, and freeze pickles 8 hours or up to 6 months. Thaw in refrigerator before serving; use thawed pickles within 1 week. Hot-and-Sweet Freezer Pickles serves/makes 3 pints

Top Comment

Great Article! I just learned how to make freezer jam this summer and I don't think I will buy jam any more! It tastes great and the kids love it! I have noticed that mine is pretty runny, is that normal or do you have any tips for fixing that?

Thanks!

Top Comment

I purchase very ripe fruit cheap in dollar bags from fruit shops on special and purée the fruit and freeze as healthy ice poles. A treat for myself and visitors. Also I freeze in small containers to use as a topping over plain ice cream.When partially frozen I cut into quarters and use on top of my porridge or other breakfast cereal to give variety.