Making Homemade Noodles

Category Pastas
Homemade Noodles
Homemade noodles are delicious and easy to make. This is a guide about making homemade noodles.

I love these noodles. With just a bit of baking powder in them, they puff up just a little, making them tender and delicious.

Directions:

Mix the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs. Gradually mix the flour in until all of it is well incorporated. If the dough is too dry and crumbles, add some milk a tablespoon at a time. You want it to hold together well, but not be too wet, like pie crust dough. Cover the dough or put it in a large resealable bag and let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Cut the dough in 3 or 4 equal pieces. Work with one ball at a time, keeping the others covered or in the bag. With each one, sprinkle your working surface with a little flour, and dust the rolling pin with flour. Roll each ball out as thin as possible. Set each rolled out circle aside for about 1/2 hour let it dry a little.

When the circles of dough are dry enough that they won't stick together, stack them on top of each other. Roll them up into a fairly tight cylinder. With a sharp knife, slice across the cylinder into whatever width noodles you want. When done, pick up each piece, unroll it, and put each individual noodle on a pasta drying rack, or on a table to dry.

My mother always let the noodles dry out for a few hours. I don't. I let them dry as long as it takes to make the soup or sauce I am using them for.

Cook until tender. The length of time required depends on how thin you rolled the dough. I like them slightly thick, and they take about 15 minutes then.

Any leftovers can be put in a clean paper bag, closed, to store.

Source: My Mother's recipe

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

This is such a fast way to make homemade noodles (makes enough for a family or party of 8).

Put 4 eggs in food processor, turn on until beaten (make sure you use the blade on the processor for the whole thing). Then turn the eggs on while adding self-rising flour to it, and make sure the dough ball is real stiff, but soft enough to roll out. Then just pinch enough to roll out very thin with a rolling pin, if you don't have a pasta maker. I have made them by hand since 1962.

After getting the dough rolled out, just roll it up and cut thin with a real sharp knife. Add self-rising flour on a large cookie sheet, spread the noodles on it. Keep lots of flour on them until all done then let them dry.

Either cook in chicken or beef broth, I use canned broth, and add a full stick of margarine, cook till done. Or make ahead and freeze (remember to pinch off several balls of dough to roll out). My daughter always makes hers ahead for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. And my granddaughter makes them several times a week.

Source: This recipe was taught to me on the farm when I was 10 years old, it's a family recipe.

I never dry my noodles. After rolling the dough out, I immediate cut them. Then I cook them at once. My husband suggested that I use a pizza cutter. My noodles are more uniform and cutting is so much easier and faster.

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • soup broth

Directions

Beat eggs and blend in milk. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a plastic ketchup bottle.

Pour chicken broth into pan and bring to a rolling boil. Keep at rolling boil while you squeeze the noodle mixture into the broth. Amount depends on size of noodles you want. Noodles will float to the top as you still put more mixture in broth. They will cook quickly; test for tenderness with fork.

I make several batches at a time and freeze the noodles and broth for later use.

By Sandy from Graettinger, IA

Ingredients

• 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup flour

Directions

Mix ingredients in order given, adding enough flour to make stiff. Roll on floured surface. Let rest 20 minutes. Cut into strips. Use in soup or casseroles.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ever get the urge to make homemade noodles? Instead of cutting them with a knife, which can take a long time and can be frustrating, get out your pizza cutter...

Mix well. Add enough sifted flour to make a dough that will roll out without sticking (like pie crust). Cut and cook at once or allow to dry and store to freeze. May want to double recipe.

Beat eggs and add milk, baking powder, salt, and flour enough to make stiff. Knead and roll out. Cut and cook 10-15 minutes. Need not be dried.

Homemade Noodles

Nothing like homemade noodles, and they are so easy.

• 6 whole eggs beaten or 12 yolks beaten
  • 3 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 6 cups flour
Small Batch
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 cup flour

Directions:

Mix the egg, salt and milk well. Add flour, dough will be sticky and somewhat stiff. Pour out on well floured surface and knead to make smooth.

Roll out to 1/8 inch thick let dry for 2 hours or more if you need the time. Cut into 5x8 inch shapes, size is approximate. Stack the shapes and slice 1/4 inch slices across the 5 inch side.

Scatter them out on the floured surface to dry. If you make more than you are using that day, they freeze wonderfully. You can dry them out completely but they will be somewhat brittle. You will want to lay them out straight and flat instead of scattering them if you dry them completely. Still freeze them to be safe.

You can make your noodles as wide or thin as you wish.

Source: My mother's tried but true recipe.

By Ann/latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Answers:

Homemade Noodles

I give you big Kudos for the effort necessary to make homemade noodles! If I had enough kitchen counter space or a dining room table I certainly would give this recipe a try but will pass along to others who I know do have the space and will make this :-) (01/13/2010)

By Deeli

Ingredients

• 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil or salad oil
  • 1 tsp. salt

Directions

Combine 1 cup of flour with remaining ingredients. With mixer at low speed, beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with spatula. With wooden spoon, stir in enough more flour to make soft dough. On lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Wrap in waxed paper and let stand 30 minutes.

Roll out half of dough on floured surface with floured rolling pin, forming rectangle 20x14 inches. Fold in half crosswise and then in half again. Cut in 1/8 to 1/2 inch strips. Place in single layer on clean cloth towels to dry. Repeat with remaining half of dough. Let noodles dry 2 hours.

To cook, drop into boiling salted water or boiling soup; cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I have loved these since I was a kid and my mom and grandmother used to make them!

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 eggs
  • few drops yellow food coloring
  • water or milk

Directions:

Mix the flour, eggs and food coloring together to form a dough. (Add a little water or milk if the dough is too dry.) Knead the dough until it is thin enough to cut into noodles. Cut the noodles to the desired thickness and let dry for 20 minutes. Or you can put the noodles in soup and slow cook them until they are done.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • about 2/3 cup sifted all purpose flour

Directions

Beat the egg, then add the salt and enough of the flour to make a stiff dough. Knead on a floured board for 3 or 4 minutes. Then roll out in a thin sheet. Cover with a towel, and let stand about 20 minutes. Then roll as you would a jelly roll; cut into strips. Unroll and lay out to dry thoroughly; store until needed. Then cook until tender in boiling water to which salt has been added, about 10 minutes. Avoid overcooking, especially if the noodles are to be added to a sauce.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
  • 1 Tbsp. water
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 or more cups flour

Directions

Combine egg, oil and water. beat well. Combine flour and baking powder with liquid. Roll out paper thin. Let rest. Slice and let dry before cooking. There is no salt in this recipe.

By Robin

Ingredients

• 3 egg yolks
  • 1 whole egg
  • 3 Tbsp. water
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cup flour

Directions

Beat the egg yolks and the whole egg together until light. Beat the water and salt in. Stir in floured and work with your hands. Divide dough in 3 parts. Roll out on floured board and let dry. Roll up and cut when they have dried. These can be rolled and cut with a noodle machine, if you like.

By Robin

Combine eggs, cream and salt. Beat thoroughly and stir in flour gradually to form a dough that can be formed into a ball.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.