Making Icing

Grandmother and Granddaughter Icing a Cake
Finish a cake, cupcake or sweet roll with an icing or glaze for a delicious treat. This is a guide about making icing.

Here are my improvisations for natural food colours as I don't like to use chemical colours. They work great in icings.

I recently made a green cake for my son's second birthday!

I have a juicer and I just use juices in my icings to colour them.

Beetroot juice for pink/red
Spinach juice for green
and Carrot juice for yellow.

They are brilliant!

Camilla Berry (Sussex, England)

Make your own icing sugar. There is a huge difference in the cost of regular white sugar and icing sugar, yet icing sugar is only white sugar ground finer. I have a little "magic bullet" food processor and its a snap to throw a cup of sugar in there and grind it up. It's a little bit grainier but pretty close, and once you have used it in a recipe, you sure can't tell the difference.

Source: this handy hint came from my Mom :~)

By Leigh from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

This can be made out of any of the flavored coffee creamers. I used this one day when I ran out of milk. Now I would never use extract again. Enjoy!

Total Time: 1-2 minutes

Yield: This recipe would cover a large cake, bundt cake, breads..2 cups

Source: My own experience

• 2 cups of confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
  • International Delights Coffee Creamer (any flavor)

Directions:

• Start with 2 cups of powdered sugar, stir in a tablespoon at a time and stir in as quickly as possible. Add creamer as needed until you get the consistency desired. If it is too thick, add a little bit more creamer. To thin, add more sugar.
  • Ad

This icing should be thick. You want it to harden on cookies, breads, and cakes unless otherwise call for thin icing.

Tired of the same old cake and icing? Take vanilla cake mix or vanilla icing and add unsweetened drink mix. You can add food coloring to match the flavor. It adds a lot of flavor and interest.

Warning: As time passes, the flavor intensifies. If not eating in one day, add a little less drink mix. Mix to taste.

By Paula from Maryville, TN

Quick and healthy. This is the best icing ever!

Directions:

Slightly warm cream cheese in microwave (or leave out about an hour or so or until it's room temp). Add vanilla then slowly stir in honey to taste.

Be sure to ice cake right away, then place cake or muffins in fridge to harden. Icing may be a bit soft while warm, but will harden when it cools. Thin with milk if needed. Store iced cakes or muffins in Refrigerator.

Variations

Instead of icing, my family likes this as a filling. I add chocolate chips to the sweetened cream cheese, vanilla and honey then drop dollops of it into unbaked chocolate cake batter and bake.

For Orange Icing: use frozen orange juice concentrate, a little honey, and grated orange. For lemon use lemon juice, honey, and lemon zest (for a tangy icing).

For Chocolate: warm 8 oz block of cream cheese in microwave (do not overheat!) then stir in some chocolate syrup and 1/2 tsp. of Vanilla. Yummy! Or carefully warm 1/2 a small bag of chocolate chips in microwave, and stir chips until soft, then mix softened chips into a warmed brick of cream cheese. Add several Tbsp. of honey to taste if needed.

For Mocha Icing: Dissolve 1 tsp. of instant coffee in 1 or 2 tsp. of hot water then add it to chocolate icing above.

A sprinkle of cinnamon is also tasty addition to the icing.

By Cyinda

Make a simple, delicious icing using only confectioners' sugar and eggs. This page contains a two ingredient cake icing recipe.

icing with food color

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains royal icing recipes. Royal icing with its smooth hard finish when dried is perfect for making cake and cookie decorations.

Royal Icing Recipes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I save plastic containers, like from butter or whip cream, so that I can mix icing colors in different size containers depending on the amount of icing I need of a certain color. - Jennifer