Making Jelly from Fruit Juice

Category Jam & Jelly
Making Jelly from Fruit Juice
A quick way to make jelly even if you don't have a lot of seasonal fruit is to use fruit juice. This is a guide about making jelly from fruit juice.

This page contains a frozen orange juice jelly recipe. Juice can be used instead of fresh fruit to make delicious jellies.

Orange Jelly (or marmalade) in a glass bowl with a clear plastic spoon of jelly laying across the top

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I would like recipes for jellies made from storebought juices, like cranberry, blueberry, kiwi, etc.

By Alie T.

Best Answer

This is quite simple and fun!

You will need:

2 cups apple,grape, or other juice

3-1/2 cups sugar

1/2 tsp. butter or margarine

1 package fruit pectin

saucepan

canner or stock pot

4 4-ounce jelly jars with lids

Mix sugar and juice in a 2-quart sauce pan and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add fruit pectin and return to boil.

Boil for one minute. Remove from heat and skim the foam from the top with a large spoon.

Ladle jelly into hot sterilized jars. Fill to 1/4 inch from the top. Wipe the rim of the jars with a damp cloth to remove any traces of jelly. Seal tightly.

Process for 5 minutes in a hot water bath canner. You can use a stock pot or any other pan that allows enough room for the jars and 2 inches of water over them.

Remove from hot water and set the jars on a folded cloth on the counter top. A kitchen towel works fine. Keep the jelly away from drafts until cooled. You may hear the seals on the jars snap as they fully seal. This is fine.

Check lids to make sure they are sealed once they have cooled. The center of the lid to the jelly jar will indent when sealed. Occasionally a jar does not seal. If you encounter this problem, simply store your jelly in the refrigerator until used.

Best wishes, hope this helps!

Best Answer

Grape Jelly from http://www.hill  m/grapejelly.htm

I like this because it makes like 1 1/2 quarts; we eat it quick enough that I don't even process it, just put it in the fridge & eat it on toast & PBJs! We use frozen concentrate and don't dilute it, because we like the strong delicious grape flavor. But do what you like!

3 cups grape juice (Prepared from frozen concentrate is fine)

1 package powdered pectin

4 cups sugar

In a large saucepan combine the prepared grape juice and the powdered pectin. Stir it up to eliminate all of the lumps. Bring the mixture to a full boil over medium heat, stirring some as necessary. Add the sugar and return the mixture to a boil. Boil for a full minute and remove from heat. Ladle the jelly into clean sterilized jars and seal with bands and lids. Process in a boiling water bath for about 10 minutes to seal. Remove the jars and allow to cool before storing on the pantry shelf. Makes about 5 cups.

Or just pour into 1qt jar & 1pt jar, put in the fridge if you're going to eat it within 6 weeks or so.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried making blueberry jelly from Ocean Spray blueberry juice? Blueberries are very expensive this year and I thought this might be a cheaper alternative, I know you can make jelly from the cranberry juice. If anyone has made it this way I would appreciate hearing how it turned out and what recipe they used. Thanks.

By Glendat from Nova Scotia

http://www.cook  ce_jelly,FF.html

How do I make grape jelly from grape juice?

By cbauer from Winston-Salem, NC

Answers:

Making Jelly From Juice?

Buy a box of Sure Jell and follow the easy directions. (07/07/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Making Jelly From Juice?

Here is a recipe that my grandma had and it works well and yum!

Grape Jelly

Makes: about 7 (1-cup) jars
or 112 servings, 1 Tbsp. each
  • 4 cups prepared juice (buy about 3 lb. fully ripe Concord or other loose-skinned grapes)*
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 7 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
  • 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional)
  • 1 pouch CERTO fruit pectin

Bring boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.

Stem and crush grapes thoroughly, one layer at a time. Place in saucepan. Add water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place 3 layers of damp cheesecloth or jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed; hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently. Measure exactly 4 cups juice into 6- or 8-quart saucepan.

Stir sugar into juice in saucepan. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

*If using wild grapes, Malaga or other tight-skinned grapes, decrease prepared juice to 3 1/2 cups and add 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice. Concord grapes give best color and flavor. (07/09/2009)

By Craftslady2008

Making Jelly From Juice?

I've used Welch's grape juice, apple juice, and even Kool Aid to make jelly. Just look on your Sure Jell instructions. Use the amount of juice and the amount of sugar and Sure Jell called for and follow your instructions. I made strawberry Kool Aid jelly a few times. Put your package of unsweetened Kool Aid in a pot. Add the amount of water to equal the strawberry juice called for. Then add your sugar and Sure Jell according to directions. Ummm, good. Enjoy!

Margaret from Denton, TX (07/09/2009)

By matjat

I was given several free bottles of Juicy Juice with no sugar added and was wondering if I can make jelly for Christmas gifts, any recipes? I do have 3 boxes of Surejell ready for use also. I have made jelly from fresh fruit but never from bottled juice. Please help! I am currently unemployed and money is tight but I still want to give some gifts of love. All help will be appreciated.

Mary from Brownstown, IL

Answers:

Making Jelly From Juice?

Have you looked in the boxes of Sure Jell for instructions? When I wanted to make pepper jelly I looked all over for a recipe to do it and there was a recipe right in the box. (12/13/2006)

By dpcw

Making Jelly From Juice?

I'm sure you can use most juices. Several years ago I made grape jelly from grape juice and it was the easiest jelly I ever made. Your Sure-Jell will give you the measurements and directions. It's a lovely idea and I'm sure your recipients will be pleased. Merry Christmas! (12/14/2006)

By SalTCBug

Making Jelly From Juice?

Here's a thrifty hint I learned from a friend. When you peel apples for pies or whatever, scrub them really good first, then put all the peels and the cores into a large pan (minus any bad spots, of course). Cover with water (careful not to use too much) and put on to cook. Once it comes to a boil, lower heat and simmer for a couple of hours. Strain, throw out the peels, and use the "juice" to make apple jelly. (12/15/2006)

By susanmajp

Making Jelly From Juice?

Try this link: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/grapejelly.htm

I've made jelly from this recipe and it turned out really well. (12/15/2006)

Making Jelly From Juice?

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question. I have since just tried my own recipe and the one I came up with was pretty good. I am new at writing recipes but here it is none-the-less.

The ingredients I used are:
1-46 oz. bottled juice * 1 Box Sure-jell pectin * 1-Tb.+ 1-tsp. lemon juice * 8 1/2 cups sugar * 1/2 tsp. margarine

Take one 46 oz. jar of any juice & put on medium high heat till it starts to boil. Add all the lemon juice (I used bottled). Bring to a rolling boil stirring occasionally. Then pour in one box of Sure-jell pectin and the margarine and stir often to prevent sticking. In separate bowl measure out 8 1/2 cups sugar, and set aside. When the juice comes to a full and constant rolling boil, add sugar all at once. Stir to dissolve the sugar and stir very often until it comes back to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down. Then time for one minute stirring constantly. After one minute take off stove & fill 6-12 oz. jelly jars and put in water bath for 10 minutes.

I made this jelly a few days ago and so far it looks fine and has set to a medium firm stage.

Feel free to use this recipe, and hope for the best. Your results may be different than mine.
I know my friends and family will enjoy it. The samples I took from each batch I made tasted great.
Wishing all a great & safe holiday season. May God be with you all. (12/16/2006)

By Mary from Brownstown,IL