Making Lasagna for Large Groups

Category Casseroles
Tray of Lasagna
Trying to calculate the ingredients and serving size for a large group can be confusing. This is a guide about making lasagna for large groups.

• 6-8 lb. ground beef
  • 2 tsp. garlic salt to taste
  • 2 cans (8oz. size) tomato sauce
  • 2 cans tomatoes (1lb. size)
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 16 oz. pkg. broad lasagna noodles
  • 4-6 pkg. Mozzarella cheese
  • Parmesan cheese, for topping

Directions:

Brown meat, then add everything, except noodles and cheese. Cook noodles until done and drain. Use very large pan, 12x18 inches; put in layers; noodles, meat mixture and cheese. Repeat, ending with meat mixture.

Top with Parmesan cheese, and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Serve 10 people easily.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Read 3 Comments

I am making lasagna for 150-175 people. I am using 16 1/8 X 11 3/4 X 2 7/8 inch pans. Do you know how many I need to make?

Thanks.

Best Answer

If your pan is roughly 16 X 12, you're going to get twelve 4" squares out each pan, right? A 4" square sounds about right for a serving. So 175 divided by 12 = 14.5 pans. Sounds like about 15 pans to me! Good luck with that!

I am making lasagna for 150 people. I need to know how much ground beef, tomato sauce, and cheeses to buy.
Your help is very appreciated!

Are you dishing this out, or are the 150 people each dishing out their own? If they dish out their own, you will want a little extra, as there are some who eat very large servings (especially teen boys if there are any)

No I am dishing it out .it is a charity dinner I am doing at a club.

When I cook for a crowd I like to use smaller recipes (like 8-10 servings) and just multiply to the actual number of servings that I need. This works well for me as I can use the recipes when making the dishes without trying to figure how to separate for a workable/cookable number as I do not have restaurant size pans.

A recipe stating for 8 servings multiplied for 150 would be approximately 20 times. It is a little more trouble but a lot easier to work with.

As someone stated, this will be an expensive dish to make but have you thought about making a Four Cheese Lasagna (without meat)? We make it a lot at our church and it is always a hit.

Here are a couple of recipes - just in case you want to take a look:

http://allrecip  /cheese-lasagna/

https://www.bet  922-24cf4dd77c7e

http://www.mart  c-cheese-lasagna

Thank you for your tips.

I'm looking for an easy recipe for lasagna. I will be feeding about 175 people and I'm not sure how much to prepare.

Dana from Griffin, GA

Answers:

Making Lasagna For 175 People

I would figure that a normal sized lasagna pan would serve 6-8 people depending on the portion size, I would figure 6 so you will probably need 38 or so regular size pans, that way you have a little extra for anyone who wants to take some home. (06/19/2008)

Making Lasagna For 175 People

Google "recipes for a crowd" or large quantity recipes - you'll find a number of choices. Best wishes! (06/19/2008)

By aardvark

Making Lasagna For 175 People

Lasagna can be very expensive to make. When I feed large groups of people (I've cooked for 375 at a time) I buy pre-made frozen lasagnas. You should sample a few brands to determine which one you like best. They usually make about 12-16 servings, so you would need to purchase 15 pre-made lasagnas to have 182 servings or 11 for 176 servings. Best of all, clean-up is a "toss" away. (06/19/2008)

By mrs.flinn

Making Lasagna For 175 People

I've made lasagna for 150 people. What I do is use ziti instead of lasagna noodles. In a huge disposable baking pan, I mix the cheeses into the cooked ziti, add the sauce and meat mixture.

Mix up all the items together and bake it for 30 minutes. Pull it out, add cheese on top, bake for another 10 or so minutes and it's done. Tastes just like lasagna without all the fuss. It has always been a huge hit at parties and potlucks! Good luck! (06/19/2008)

By Jenn

Making Lasagna For 175 People

The following is on Allrecipes.com site with a scalable link to change the recipe for different numbers of servings.

World's Best Lasagna: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Worlds-Best-Lasagna/Detail.aspx (06/20/2008)

By lynnt

Making Lasagna For 175 People

I would consider checking a catering service for their pricing. Even using a pan that serves 25 you would need 7 pans. That could be a problem baking so all are done and still hot at the same time. I figure it costs about $8.00 to make a 9 X 13" pan. When you consider your time and cost of ingredients and having the oven on you may come out ahead. You also have to gather the pans, or buy them. (06/22/2008)

By WIsgal