Making Liquid Soap from Leftover Bar Soap

Years ago someone told me about making liquid soap from leftover bars of soap. Something about putting it in the blender I think. Does anyone know what to do with all these small remains of soap bars?

Arlene from Ridgely, MD

Answers:

Years ago I made some liquid soap out of small soap slivers I had saved. I mixed the small bits of soap along with some water in my blender. I didn't like it because it came out very slimy.

What I do now is just save the left over soap and just make soap balls.

Don't throw away small pieces of soap. Gather together like colors of soap (or you'll end up with an ugly colored ball.) Place scraps in a bowl, and if they are very small - great, no further work needed. If not, break them up with a knife, sprinkle pieces with warm water; let sit 15 minutes to soften.

Gather up a handful and squeeze into a ball shape. It will take from two days to two weeks to completely cure in a warm, dry area. Reshape every two days to maintain a round shape. Don't worry about irregularities; they will lend interest to your soap.
(03/12/2009)

By MCW

MCWs response made me laugh. I thought the same thing--the one time I made it, it turned really slimy too. You can grate them, melt them in a little water and recast them in molds (an old margarine container will do). Once dry enough, turn them out, cut into bars, finish drying, then use--just like the soap balls, but a different shape. You can make a pad from a leftover washcloth and stuff it with the slivers, tie it off and wash with it (or buy one at Walmart for about $1.50). Or I use mine to make homemade laundry detergent (soap, really). There's also something you can buy, where you soak the soap to soften it, put them in a press that forms them into new bars. (03/13/2009)

By susanmajp

We use our slivers of soap by attaching them to the next bar when they're both wet. Just leave the shower with them sitting stuck together and they'll attach. You may have to really smush them but they'll eventually stick.

Another way we used to use them when we had several bathrooms going at the same time (kids still living here) was to drop the small bars into a mesh bag (like from oranges) and hang the bag from the shower nozzle. Our kids liked Mom's "soap on a rope" and it kept those small bars from winding up on the shower floor and melting away.

I didn't have any luck with making liquid soap either. (03/13/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

I cut off the foot portion of an old pair of pantie hose and drop the soap slivers in there and tie a knot at the top. I can untie it to add more as they accumulate. Makes a soap on a rope for me. (03/13/2009)

By ginnee

I once worked at a motel and the housekeepers would save all the unused bits of soap and just drop them into a bucket with a little water. The soap would melt into liquid soap consistency. The laundry used about a half cup of this in a load for washing stains out of sheets, etc. Just stir it occasionally and add water as needed. Don't let any undissolved clumps of soap get into the machine. Home machines take about a quarter cup per load. (03/13/2009)

By plwp12

You can use slivers of soap to lubricate sticking drawers, windows, etc. Mechanics often use soap slivers to lubricate belts that are squeaking on cars. (03/13/2009)

By plwp12

It helps if you cut the soap into smaller pieces, or use a cheese grater, and heat the water in the microwave before mixing. It will come out slimy, but it still works! I have some in my bathroom right now. (03/14/2009)

By Ree 127

I have made liquid soap, but I cooked it on the stove until it got all melted and creamy. Don't remember it getting slimy at all. One of the earlier posts sounds unsanitary, the one where the motel reused the old soap from the guests. You never know what germs they left on that soap. Yuck! (03/15/2009)

By seachelle

Bar of Soap
Making Liquid Soap from Bars of Soap
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Homemade Liquid Hand Soap
Homemade Liquid Hand Soap Recipes
Washing with bar soap.
Is Using Bar Soap Safe?
Liquid Hand Soap
Stretching Liquid Hand Soap
🎄