Making Market Bags from Plastic Bags

Category Purses
Reusable market bags made with plarn are cute and sturdy. This guideis about making market bags from plastic bags.

Crochet this green shopping bag using old recycled plastic bags. The plastic bags are cut into strips to create Plarn (plastic bag yarn.) I have the free pattern link here.

Link: http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2009/01/02/the-green-shopping-bag/

Now, THIS is ONE smart looking bag! ...I especially like the color, but any color would do. And crochet works up so nicely for these bags because it's so sturdy & unlike knitting it doesn't stretch very much... I've even heard that things made out of this recycled "plastic bag yarn" get softer & softer each time they are laundered & they hold up extremely well... (kinda makes your wonder how well they hold up out there in the landfills!) Better to reuse them than to throw them away!

Here in the Greater Seattle area we have large bins near the exit doors of most large grocery chain stores where people can drop off their old plastic bags for recycling & I'll sometimes dig into one of these old bag-bins myself & grab a handful or two of them to add to my stash when I'm making a project like this & need a few more bags. Then when I'm done with my project I'll run it through the washing machine on the gentile cycle with cold water. (NO DRYER!) then drip it dry.

---> Thank You for posting such a wonderful pattern!

* One last note: I think it would be best to add another reinforcing row of crochet around the handle area. This tote-bag will be carrying heavy items & I don't think the handle will be strong enough to carry heavy items without an extra row or 2 of added reinforcement.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I make market bags from plastic store bags and colored trash bags. Here is a photo of a pink one I made. With most stores going with reusable bags now, I think people will enjoy these. I bought these bags at a dollar store for $1.00, 30 bags in a package, it used about 27 bags.

By Geni from OH

A recycled market bag made from plastic grocery bags.

Comment Like this photo? 4
Top Comment

I am so sorry to you all, I had no idea there were responses to my bag until my friend came across it by accident and sent me the link to your comments! I used a pattern that was actually for a market bag made from cotton yarn. To make the strips I cut the handles off the plastic bags, then folded the bags up to about the size of a ruler and cut in about 1 to 1-1/2 inch strips, then looped the strips together and rolled up like a ball of yarn. I think I used an H hook, or an I hook. I made one with a much bigger hook, but it was bulky looking and did not like it as much.

Again, I am so sorry for not replying to ya'll.

Reply Like this photo? Yes