Making Metal Flowers

Category Metal
Making Metal Flowers
Metal flowers can be used either in the garden or inside your home as a unique addition to your decor. This is a guide about making metal flowers.

I have seen a picture online of a piece of garden art that was a giant daisy made from mini blind slats and sauce pan lids. They did not explain how to do it and I cannot really tell. Has anyone done this project or do you know how it is put together? It's adorable! Thanks so much!

Answer Was this helpful? 2

my daughter makes these using pop and/or beer cans. you just cut one end off, then cut 'petals' and flatten - they're not exactly the same as the ones you've posted, but they're very nice. paint the metal and attach them to a branch/stick/whatever. easy-peasy. my grandkids help her make them.

I am interested in making flowers out of metal. I have never worked in metal before and have no pictures to go by.

Any crafters who have experience with this? Any suggestions patterns, materials, and instructions or how to get started working with metal would be appreciated. I'm completely open to all ideas. Thanks.

By Cate from OH

You can make beautiful fake flowers out of old tins can, Coke cans, and even sheet metal. These tin can flowers look very much like fabric flowers, but you can paint them and shape them!

Kids can make these tin can flowers, but old kids would probably be best. You can transform your tin can flowers into pins, ornaments, and other decorations!

To Make Tin Can Flowers You Will Need:

Coke cans, tin cans, or sheet metal

Tin snips

Sand paper or metal file

Primer

Paint

Paintbrush

Wire, pin backs (optional)

To get started you want to cut a circle out of your tin can. This circle can be any size you want. If you are using a coke can to make your metal flower, then use the tin snips to cut open the can.

Flatten the Coke can out and cut out a circle from the walls of the Coke can.

Tip: You can wear a nice thick pair of leather gloves while handling the cu metal to keep your hands from getting cut.

You want to cut out one large circle, one medium, and one small metal circle.

Take the circle of metal and fold it in half.

Take the half circle of metal and fold it in half again. Repeat this one time if you can. At least get a nice bend mark in the metal.

Carefully open up your metal circle and get ready to cut the petals out of yoru metal flower.

Now, use the tin snips to cut out petals. Use those folded lines to delineate your petals on the metal circle. You can simply cut round tips on the end of each petal.

After you cut the rounded tips you can also cut slits in between each petal.

Repeat this one the other two small circles of the metal flower.

Bend and shape each petal of the metal flowers as you as want them to be. Now, in the center of each circle of petals you want to poke a circle. This can be accomplished with a metal skewer, a strong metal upholstery needle, or those trusty tin snips.

Layer the three circles of petals, largest circle on the bottom.

Insert a metal office butterfly tab in through the front of the flower and open it behind the petals to hold the metal flower together.

This simple metal flower can now be painted, as you want. You can also use an epoxy glue to attach it to a pin, a picture frame, or any other surface you want. Good luck.

kffrmw I am going to try your idea sounds like it will be pretty thank you. I had no idea. I just make permanent can labels out of soda cans.

What do you cut the metal with so it won't get jagged edges and hurt my fingers?

By Sheri