Making Milkweed Christmas Ornaments

Milkweed pods can be used to make a variety of cute ornaments. This is a guide about making milkweed Christmas ornaments.

November 19, 2008 Flag

It's not too late to scan your woods for dried materials to use in crafting. In western PA, I discovered a treasure trove of milkweed pods this year and have found the teardrop shape lends itself to many things. My college daughter points out that I am also being very "green" with this project. You may be able to find other types of pods that would work in your area. You can do this assembly line style and complete many in a short time. Use a hair dryer to speed up the paint drying time.

Approximate Time: 30-45 minutes

Instructions:

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

(sent in by email)

Several folks have asked where to get pods for the milkweed crafts. I went to Michaels and discovered a big bag of potpourri scented with vanilla that has some pods similar to milkweeds and other interesting things. The scent might be bothersome, but once you seal it with paint, it should be okay. The bag was $7.99 but I used one of their 40% off coupons. I'll use whatever is left with a candle or something.

I also found smaller bags of potpourri in the dollar store. The scent is lighter so it might be more pleasant to work with. I found the prettiest green and burgundy items scented with mulberry. There is also natural colored stuff in there. You could get a lot of projects for $1.

Cindy

That is a wonderful painting and in a mini you could make ornaments out of it for a a small tree too! How pretty and a novel idea. Thank you for sharing.

Read More Comments...

November 21, 2008 Flag

This one is easy enough for kids. It's cheap and quick so kids in Scouts or groups can make several for gifts. I wrapped mine, using red and white tulle which comes on a roll. I closed the ends with tinsel pipe cleaners and added beads on the end. You could use curling ribbon, too, but the pipe cleaners are faster. Makes a nice presentation and the person can see your project if they don't feel like opening it this minute.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

*If you don't have time to dry the projects before completing, use cotton or fiberfill for the hat and mustache.

**They now have paint with the diamond dust right in there - a lot less messy than sprinkling on glitter, but less fun!

Instructions:

By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is very beautiful! I love how they turn out. The tulle is nice too!

(sent in by email)

Cindy

Read More Comments...

November 26, 2008 Flag

I used milkweed pods from the woods around my house for this ornament idea. You may have other types of pods in your area or you may be able to find something similar in the dried flower section of the craft store.

Milkweed Ornaments (Shadow Pods)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 2, 2008 Flag

This project, using milkweed pods, is a little tricky and probably more suitable for adults or teens. It is somewhat time consuming because of all the paint drying time, unless you leave it natural (see photo).

Milkweed Ornaments (Angel Pods)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Christmas OrnamentsOctober 28, 2012
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments
🎉
🎄