Making Mushroom Powder

Making Mushroom Powder
Mushroom powder is great to use for flavoring when making soups and gravies. This is a guide about making mushroom powder.

If you get a super sale on mushrooms (mark downs); slice them and dry on cookie sheets on low in oven until crispy dry. I processed mine in a mini chopper and stored powder in spice jars.

Great for adding a mushroom flavor to gravy recipes when you are out of fresh mushrooms.

Can you imagine how much a spice company would market it for? Cheap, cheap, cheap!

Syd Barr

What a great idea. when ALDI has mushrooms for .49 or.69 I always buy them, and did dry some. Now I will make my own cream soup using the powdered version. Here is the recipe for cream soup base, that I think I got on this site:

Yield: equals 1 can of soup

2 Tbsp butter

3 Tbsp flour

1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup low-fat milk

Sea salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter over medium-low heat.

Stir in flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat.

Add broth and milk, a little at a time, keeping stirring until smooth.

Return to heat. Bring sauce to a slow boil.

Cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.

Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed

Use in recipes in place of canned cream soups.

Add herbs and or seasonings, as desired. You can add vegetable broth, sauted chopped celery, celery seed, sauted chopped mushrooms, whatever you want.

To Sue, thank you for figuring out the price of making your own mushroom powder. But she does state that we should do this when the mushrooms are cheap. I find them quite often for 59 cents a package at Aldi. This reduces the cost dramatically.

From my calculations, you used just over 13 packs of mushrooms to make 80 Tbl of powder. At 59 cents each, 14 (I rounded up) packs would cost $8.26, a significant savings. And when you make your own, you know exactly what is in the product. Companies are not required to put all the ingredients on any label except when specifically required by law. Pink slime proved to us all that they will put anything in our food.