Making Oatmeal

Category Cooking Tips
Making Oatmeal With Raspberries and Apples
Oatmeal is a popular breakfast meal for many of us, each with our own favorite way to prepare it. This is a guide about making oatmeal.

I have a cup of coffee for breakfast and a dish of oatmeal. Since I love the taste of coffee, I just add coffee to the bowl after I take it out of the microwave. Add a little honey instead of sugar, if you want it a little sweet.

Hot oatmeal - No pot - No microwave - Just boiling water, a bowl and a plate. And a spoon, of course! Been making it this way for years!

• 1/2 cup QUICK oats (oatmeal)
  • 1 cup water, boiling

Directions:

Mix both in a bowl, cover with a plate, come back in 5 minutes. Stir, add a little milk or sweetener if desired. Ready to eat.

Source: I figured it out years ago.

By Holly from Richardson, TX

For extra convenience, I often have instant oatmeal. However I don't care for the added salt and sugar so I just take a sieve and sift it out. It still tastes great and I get the nutrition without the additives.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup instant oatmeal (old fashioned would probably work too)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • Sweetener (I use Splenda) to taste

Directions

In microwave safe bowl, mix the oatmeal, water, milk, and cocoa powder. Microwave on high 1 1/2-2 minutes. Stir, sweeten to taste and enjoy!

When making a single serving of oatmeal, put the oatmeal (not the packet kind - too expensive!) into the bowl, then pour boiling water in, and stir. No boil-overs! By Linda

I like the flavor of oatmeal and its health benefits, but I'm picky when it comes to textures and can't eat it prepared the traditional way with water. Does anyone have another way of cooking oatmeal so its texture is different?

Kim from WI

If you change the texture of the oats, you change the cooked texture. Try putting 1/4 cup oats in the blender, and blend until almost powder. Put in a bowl. Add whatever flavorings you want, and about 1/2 cup water. Micowave for 1 1/2-2 minutes, and enjoy.

Try googling baked oatmeal recipes to see if they might be what you want.

I use the cooked oatmeal and mix with milk. I only has to be boiled a minute and is a lot creamier than the microwave or water type. I have also sprinkled a little nutmeg on top for different flavor. This really does work to reduce your cholesterol because I did it! I ate it every am for a year and my doctor looked to c what type of medication he gave me to lower my chloresterol and was surprised to see that he did not give me anything. THANKS MR. QUAKER OATS!

Use milk instead of water, not slimming but tastes much better :) I also sprinkle cinnamon on it for a change in flavor. Also cut up a fresh apple, add to it before cooking. Taste nummy :)

Here is my recipe for instant oatmeal packets, my husband loves the texture and taste! He usually makes a triple recipe, but below is approximately the proportions for one standard oatmeal packet.

1/4 c. instant dried rolled oats

1 Tb. brown sugar

1 Tb. non-dairy creamer (the flavored ones are GREAT)

1/2 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg (change the amount to taste)

2 Tb. dried fruit (bananas, apples, etc) (optional)

To cook:

Add 1/4 c. water and microwave 1 minute on high. Stir fresh milk into the cooked oatmeal 1 Tb. at a time until desired consistency is reached.

I find the non-dairy creamer adds a creamy texture which we really enjoy.

You could also try "powderizing" your uncooked oatmeal to remove the grain texture before cooking it. I would use either a grain mill, a blender, or a food processor to turn the rolled oats into a powder.

Good luck!

My mom uses the flavored coffee creamers in hers. She especially likes the hazelnut. These are the ones found in the dairy case. She heats it in the microwave.

One way I especially like oatmeal is: Put some applesauce in your bowl, dump in a handful of old-fashioned oats (uncooked), some cinnamon and some walnuts. Microwave a minute or so. Tastes like dessert for breakfast!

My mom always used milk...whole, not 2% or skim, and it was so very creamy and delicious.

I cook my oatmeal in the microwave with apple juice in place of water. Sometimes, I'll add cinnamon or apple pie spice with a few walnuts thrown in. If you like raisins, add a few of them too. Generally it takes about 2 min. but you have to watch and turn the bowl a few times to prevent over-spill.

Try eating raw oatmeal with milk. Many Europeans eat it this way, & it is my favorite way. I just soak for 2 - 3 minutes in milk.

"Quick oats" or the instant-type are pretty yucky--try the rolled oats cooked the traditional way, for a long-time or overnight. A bunch better. Even better, try the "Irish Oats" that are whole--it takes a whole ton of time to cook, but the texture is SO much better, chewy, and nutty. In Ireland, they eat it savory traditionally--w/ salt and pepper, and butter. (almost every culture has a form of grain cooked into porridge, think grits or polenta from cornmeal, or the Asians have rice cooked to soupy consistency, called congee or 'jook'--and it's eaten savory as well)

You could try apple juice or some other fruit juice.

I like mine the way my grandma cooked it. Fully textured, not sticky.

Secret. Start with really cold water, I use 2 cups cold water, bring to boil--a pinch of salt = 1/8 tsp. At first roll of boil drop in 1 cup OLD FASHIONED ROLLED OATS flakes. Turn burner to half heat DO NOT STIR at any time, swish the kettle.

My grandma said the stirring causes the stickies and flavor change.

It is as crunchy textured as corn flakes, but hot cooked oatmeal.

Cook about 10 minutes or less on about 1/3 heat on the knob. Always swish the pan, do not stir. This also should assure you having a real good pan to wash that is not gunked either with sticky cereal. My mom loves the oatmeal when she comes, it was her mother's way of cooking 70 years ago.

My granddaughters both love it too--they like 1/2 and 1/2 on theirs with a dab of Redi Whip on top. (me, plain! but you could add sprinkles of anything.)

I find eating oatmeal makes my daily carb allowance go further--I am not hungry.

One more "how I do it" post: Bring 2 cups of water to a boli. Measure one full cup of REGULAR OATS...NOT INSTANT and add about one fist full more. Drop it into the pan, turn burner to about 1/3 on (very low) swish pan to moisten (DO NOT STIR11). cook for 5 minutes, turn burner off, cover pan and let set about 1 minute more. The grains will be separated and not mushy or gummy.

My husband and I eat it with raisins (mine cooked, his not) and I use sweetener but he doesn't. I taught my 8 year old granddaughter to make this because nobody would make breakfast for her before school (Don't let me start on that!). She does it perfectly and loves it.

We love this:

Use regular rolled oats, not quick cooking. Rinse 6 to seven times to get rid of the extra starch. Leave in bowl with water covering the oats plus an inch more of the water with a Tbsp of Kefir or whey. Leave over night (or 7-12 hours). In the morning add or get rid of some of the water depending on how runny you like it. Add a pinch of salt and cook. Oats made this way cook in about 5 mins. Add butter, maple syrup, or coconut milk. Enjoy.

Try adding only a little applesauce. It might even work out with other fruits but I do not know personally.

I use a a 7 grain cereal. It tastes basically like oatmeal but is a firmer texture because the grains are a harder type grain. We use it and love it. I buy it a a bulk health food store. Blessings! Happy Thanksgiving!

You can make oatmeal and put it in a pan like a loaf pan, let it firm up in the fridge, and then slice it and fry in a pan sprayed wih pam. You could drizzle it with syrup or powder sugar.

I eat oatmeal by topping my cold cereal with it before adding the milk. i called Quaker Oats customer service line and they said it could be eaten raw.....so why not try it? I enjoy it.

I have the same opinion of cooked oatmeal. I switched to steel cut oats (sometimes referred to as Irish oatmeal). Steel Cut Oats have the same health benefits and I would say, same flavor as rolled oats, but when cooked have a very different texture. They can be pricey in the grocery store, but I buy them at a local store called Henry's Farmers Market. They sell foods in bulk. By that I mean you can scoop out of a bin as little or as much as you want. When they are on sale, I get them there for 69 cents per pound. Maybe you have a "health food" store near you with similar pricing. Give the steel cut oats a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

I add 1 tablespoon of cream of wheat with the oatmeal and then cook together. This makes it a bit smoother. Works for me.

I love oatmeal, but, can't stand it made with water. I cook both slow oatmeal on the stove, and instant flavored oatmeal in microwave with milk. Stir it durning the cooking process, and it comes out so nice and creamy. You can add margarine or butter, but, the cooking with the milk instead of water, makes it stirred creamy so well alone. (Note: don't over cook, or cook on stove on too high of a heat, as it will burn on bottom, scortch, or over flow. I use pretty much the regular cook heat, just watch it a little closer, on stove and microwave both. It's good. I like the healthy instant variety of instant oats also with milk...