Making Pasta Angel Ornaments

Using different kinds of pasta you can create special ornaments for gifts or your tree. This guide is about making pasta angel ornaments.

October 10, 2011 Flag

While looking for an old post of mine, I found requests for instructions on how to make the Macaroni Angels. I am so sorry I didn't see them before last night. I have taken pictures with the list of materials needed and if the instructions are not clear enough please email me and I will answer any questions. Again I apologize for not answering sooner.

Editors Note: We have set Vi's submission up as a craft project, including her photos with accompanying instructions. We have also recreated a materials list and instructions separate from, but in addition to, the photo notes and lists. Thanks to Great Granny Vi for providing the answer to your feedback. Enjoy.

The "heads" had the faces painted on already. I painted the rice "hair" after it was glued on. On some, I used hot glue. For others, when I had the time, I glued with tacky glue. These angels are only 2 1/2 inches long. It depends on the size of the pasta pieces.

I glue the pasta together and then paint it white.

I pull a loop of gold thread (or thin fishing line) through the hole in the bead, stuff glue in and around the hole and dip it in the rice.

Let it dry, being sure the hanger is secure.

After the body is dry and the head is dry, I glue the head to the body and paint the rice hair color. Then make a bow and glue it at the neck.

Fold a piece of cardstock or stiff colored paper for the song book and glue it between the arms. And you are done!

They make nice package ties or Christmas ornaments. They do take a lot of time. I try to assembly line them.

I took off one arm so you could see how they are glued on and how the "book" is glued between the hands.

This is a great craft project for all ages. Thanks for photos and easy to follow directions.

Two thumbs up GGVi. : )

My kids and I make ornaments every year for the tree. This would be prefect. You could to a little each day or have one person busy painting one thing while another works on another step. This is great! Thanks again!

December 1, 2005 Flag

These are instructions for making macaroni angel Christmas ornaments. My mom Susan made these for all of her children and friends many years ago. I was a young child at the time and thought it was just about the coolest thing ever. Ornaments like these adorn our trees to this day.

This project does take some time waiting for parts to dry. I would suggest doing a few at the same time, step by step, this way when you are done you will have more than one and can give them away to all your friends and family.

The cost of the supplies can be expensive because some of the pastas are unique, but most are available in a good supermarket (you can cook all the leftovers!). You can make lots of angels or eat the leftover pasta. We've made these to look like different people.

Angel Bodies (pasta):

1. Glue a wheel pasta on top of a rigatoni pasta. Let dry completely.
  2. Attach two elbow macaroni to the sides of the rigatoni right under the wheel pasta as arms. Let dry completely.
  3. Attach a bow tie pasta to the rigatoni on the opposite side as the arms. This will be the wings. Let dry completely.
  4. Once everything is dry you can decide if you want to paint the body or if you want to keep in natural looking. It is recommended that if you want to keep it natural colored to spray it with shellac so it won't absorb moisture.

Angel Heads (wooden beads):

1. Paint the bead the color you would like, let dry.
  2. For short hair, put glue on the bead where you would like hair (leave room for face) and roll in the anici di pepe pasta, let dry, then paint it the color desired. These look good all the same color (see little gold angel).
  3. For long hair, put some glue inside the bead hole then take a few strands of embroidery floss and stuff it part way down into the hole, let dry. Then take glue and put it on the wooden bead where you would like the hair to fall, press the embroidery floss on to the glue, let dry.
  4. Draw on a face with a thin tipped permanent marker or burn features on with a wood burner.
  5. Cut down one of the pipe cleaners and attach the two ends together to make a circle. This will be the halo. Glue to the top of the head.

Putting It All Together:

1. If you want the bodies to be a different color than the head, make sure to spray paint them before putting the angel together. If you want them all one color including the head, leave off the halo and spray paint the whole angel, flipping it over once it is dried on one side.
  2. To attach the head to the body, take another short piece of pipe cleaner and put glue on one end and stick it into the middle of the wheel pasta. Put glue on the other end and place that end into the hole in the wooden bead, this will help secure the head in place. Now glue around the bottom of the wooden bead where the head touches the wheel pasta, for extra security.

Finishing Touches:

1. Now your angel is put together and can be embellished with glitter paint if desired.
  2. Put a string through the wheel near the wings and tie the two ends together, to hang. Normally we use a very thin gold cord for the hanger, thin ribbon will also work.
  3. You can make these look like your friends and family by adjusting the skin color, hair color, eye color etc. You can even write the name of the person on a piece of leather or fabric and glue to the lower part of the angel body.

Craft By Susan Sanders-Kinzel and Stella Sanders Rivét

Hi Susan & Stella, I love that you did a great job of show -n -tell instuctions for the pasta angels.But you always do!

Here are some, the way I was taught . Thanks for sharing another way of doing them. HUGS, Great granny Vi

Editor's Note: Great Job GGVi. I love the little hymn books.

VERY CUTE!!! My mom made our angels out of the compressed cardboard egg cartons and they looked very similar to these. Merry Christmas.

Our now 22 year old son did these many years ago in kindergarten, His were made of all gold. The faces were drawn with a permament fine point marker. I do these every five years for the children I teach in music. They think it is a very fineChristmas treat to take something from the tree! ""

Oh how beautiful these are. And for your generosity is sharing the detailed pictures of making them.

December 20, 2008 Flag

This is an ornament that the kids can help make. A nice addition to the tree. My version is rather unique since I use a tree branch for the body, a bead from an old car seat for the head, and popcorn for the hair.

front and back of angel

Crafts Christmas OrnamentsOctober 24, 2012
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Angel Hair Pasta
Angel Hair Pasta Recipes
Boy holding up a Pasta Necklace
Pasta Craft Ideas for Kids
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments