Making Plantable Seed Paper

Category Paper Making
Making Plantable Seed Paper
Plantable seed paper makes a wonderful gift for the gardener and is easy and fun to make. This is a guide about making plantable seed paper.

These recycled paper seed circles make lovely gifts! All you need is scrap paper, a blender, some flower or vegetable seeds, and some type of screen. The easiest screen to use is a cheap metal cooking splatter screen, or you can make an instant screen by cutting a square from a pair of old pantyhose or tulle fabric remnant, and clamping it in an embroidery hoop.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes, plus drying time

Instructions:

1. Blend torn up paper with water until it makes a slurry. We made a lovely pink seed card using white copier paper and bits of red tissue paper. You can also add flower petals or bits of dried leaves to the pulp as you blend it for added texture. Or you can add the petals after you blend.
  2. Working over a bowl, pour the paper slurry slowly onto the screen until it makes a small circle.
  3. Sprinkle seeds on the circle and press them down gently into the pulp so they won't pop off the surface when the rounds dry.
  4. Press out excess water from the rounds with a sponge, and carefully transfer the circle to a sheet of paper to dry.
  5. When seed rounds are dry, they're ready to plant or give as a gift.
  6. For a gift, print or write a bit about the flowers and attach to the seed rounds, or include the info with the seed round.
  7. Plant rounds in a pot or ground, covering with a thin layer of soil. Water well, and soon you'll have flowers or vegetables!

By GuinevereW from AZ

Last week I read an article on here how to put your seeds on newspaper, so I decided to make a heart. I put pansy seeds on the paper and used the mixture of flour and water. I tend to bury the seeds too deep so I sifted my dirt on top so I would not do that anymore. I learn as I go. Every year I think I learn a little more and this place always has something really neat and frugal. Thanks for the idea.

Source: Thrifty Fun

By Laura from Ocala, FL

Here is a way to recycle paper and make plantable paper with seeds. Makes nice gifts!

• non glossy paper, construction paper or junk mail
  • container
  • seeds
  • water
  • blender
  • towel
  • screen
  • metal pan or tray

1. Gather your supplies.
  2. Ad

3. Tear paper into small enough pieces for the blender. Place in a container.
  4. Next add plenty of water to soak paper well overnight.
  5. Ad

6. Once soaked, pour all the water and paper into the blender. Spin it gently, just enough to make a pulp like consistency.
  7. Get the metal pan and place a towel over it. Place the screen down as well. Remember it can be any size screen.
  8. With the lid on the blender pour water out and carefully pull paper out. You can also use a strainer. Take the pulp and place on the screen creating a thin layer throughout. Afterwards you can either leave it flat or create seed balls. Simply sprinkle seeds generously.
  9. Take parchment paper and cover screen. Press down or use a rolling pin to squeeze out water.
  10. Lastly, let it dry. It will take several hours. Once dried you can trim it. Place in a nice bag as a gift or plant right away. This is a large version. Great for Earth Day.
  11. You can make little ones too as party favors using regular white paper and cookie cutters.
  12. To plant, place with seeds side up on top of soil. Keep soil moist but not wet. Place in sunshine. Watch the flowers grow and enjoy ! :)

I would like to make my own plantable paper and put my own wildflower, or lavender seeds on the paper. How do I keep the seeds from falling off?

Looking through crafts, I found an article about making seed paper by Ellen Brown. I am going to try this, but want to know how to put a greeting on the front of the card?

Barb from NY

It would be really easy and look very nice if you printed the greeting on a piece of vellum paper slightly smaller then the card and affixed it with a piece of ribbon. A co-worker did this with her plantable wedding invitations and it turned out beautifully.

It would be really easy and look very nice if you printed the greeting on a piece of vellum paper slightly smaller then the card and affixed it with a piece of ribbon

*****************************************************

Thanks for this idea. I really like it and will try it.

Barb

You are very welcome. You should post pics when you get them finished. =)

The other ideas are better, but I was thinking you could also rubber stamp your card.

I would love to get a seed paper card. What a great idea.

I was thinking you could also rubber stamp your card. I can't believe I didn't think of this. I just joined a stamping class. I'll try both ideas. Thanks for posting this. I love this site and the people on it.

Barb

I've seen that paper online too ! That's very cute!

here are some free printable quotes to use with your cards : http://www.goog  le+craft+quotes+