Making Pop Can Witches

Category Decorations
Pop Can Witch
With little more than a soda can and scraps of fabric a party decoration can be fashioned for Halloween. This guide is about making pop can witches.

No one would be scared by these witches, but they will be bewitched! With a soda can and scraps of fabric, felt, and a little paint you can ward off the real thing with this fun project.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

I saw the idea on a blog I follow suzysitcom.com and made changes to suit myself so please feel free to make your own changes.

1. In order to make the witch's mouth at the bottom of her face you need to be careful how you crush the can. Remove the tab first. Push the back of the bottom rim up and in toward the top of the can so it flattens to the back of the can. Push the opening of the can down on the front so it will be flat on the front of the can when crushed. This will give you a finished product that has the end with the opening flat on one side and the bottom of the can flat on the other side.

2. Once you start the ends you can lay the can down on the floor and step on it to finish flattening it. Don't worry if the face ends up facing one direction or another you can make it work as I did with Carlena.

3. Spray paint the can black front and back and let dry. Don't worry if the paint gets scratched, it will only add character.

4. Paint the inner circle white then draw the eyes and paint them on. Put on pink cheeks and a dot of pink on the circle of metal left after you removed the tab.

5. Cut a tooth from white cardstock and glue in the mouth opening.

6. When it comes to dressing your witches, just have fun. I used a scrap of orange lining fabric, I didn't even worry about the wrinkles. You can make a pattern on cardboard for the hats then cover them with fabric on the front, cut another cardboard template and glue over the back to cover your fabric edges. I wrapped tulle around two of my hats. They don't have to be perfect these are witches and we all know that witches don't take care of their clothes they are too busy making concoctions and brews.

7. My brooms are a piece of one quarter inch dowel rod with pine needles glued on then floss wrapped around to finish them off.
    The arms are short pieces of felt glued to the back and brought around to the front. Then they have a hand shape made from white felt glued on and around the dowel rod. The broom is glued to the body.

8. I bent a paper clip and glued it on the back of the crushed can to hang them with.

By Ann from Loup City, NE