Making Potato Beads

Has anyone ever made beads out of cut potatoes? I seem to recall seeing someone cut potatoes, let them dry and then paint them and make jewelry. My 4 yr old is very into jewelry and I thought this would be a fun project, but wanted to be sure to do it right.

Rebecca

Answers:

Making Potato Beads

Yes, I've made potato beads. Basically you just cut the potato into 1/2 cubes, stick them on skewers, and then let them dry for about a week before painting them.

I teach a "BeadMaking Basics" course at Suite101.com with instructions for potato beads as well as other bead projects, if you're interested. (04/18/2005)

By Erin H

Making Potato Beads

Mine shrank a good bit as they dried so you may want to cut them larger than the size you want to end up with. (04/19/2005)

By Ann4

Making Potato Beads

We make potato beads at our senior housing community a couple times a year. The ladies love to wear them and get lots of compliments. Just peel and cut potatoes - put them on skewers to dry (about 1 week) paint them any color and make sure that you seal them with a sealer (gloss works best) then string them with lots of colored beads, spacers etc. and they turn out lovely. Cut the potatoes a little larger than you want the beads to be, as they shrink quite a bit while they are drying. They don't smell, but once they are dry, they look terrible until painted. (09/16/2005)

By sandy c

Making Potato Beads

I was searching the internet and found this question. I made some of these after hearing about them and they came out really cool. I have to say I was really surprised, I never knew you could do this. :) Here's how mine came out http://www.familycorner.com/homegarden/crafts/making_turquoise_potato_beads.shtml

I hope it's ok to post that link?

Editor's Note: We encourage posting of links that answer the questions. (05/26/2006)

By Amanda

Making Potato Beads

Yes, potatoes can be used for a lot of things like potato painting and bead making. Go to http://www.suite101.com/lesson.cfm/18889/2241/3 for great potato bead making instructions. I have included a pic from this site of the finished potato necklace. Hope you have fun! (07/01/2006)

By

RE: Making Potato Beads

Making Potato Beads

I bought a necklace and earring set of potato beads and have worn the earrings with my real turquoise and get lots of compliments on my "really pretty" earrings! The shape and paint color do the trick. Take this project to craft fairs. Keep on crafting! (04/17/2008)

By OrahLee

Potato bead necklace.
Making Potato Beads
Corn starch beaded necklace.
Making Cornstarch Beads
Pony Beads
Crafts Using Pony Beads
Tri-Beads
Crafts Using Tri-Beads
🎉
🎄