Making Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

Category Salsa
Blended tomato salsa in a glass bowl with chips against a white background
You can make some delicious salsa even when you don't have fresh tomatoes available. This is a guide about making salsa using canned tomatoes.

I'm looking for an easy homemade salsa recipe. I used to make one years ago and lost the recipe. Thought I could make it again, but the salsa was too bland. I prefer to use canned tomatoes. If you have a great, easy recipe, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you in advance.

By Maggie from VA

Best Answer

I use diced tomatoes, cilantro, red onion, and Serrano peppers, and salt. I toss the peppers, cilantro, and onions into the food processor or blender, then I add the tomatoes and salt. Pulse a few times and there you have it. You can play with the seasonings, but I find that the key is lots of good cilantro and salt to taste. If it's too hot with the peppers, add vinegar, it cools it down, too salty add a little sugar. Sorry there are no exact measurements. I usually cook to taste, and I got this from my Puerto Rican mother in law who taught me lots of great cooking with no recipes. Good Luck. Hope you like it. It's always a hit in our house!

Best Answer

Simple Salsa Recipe

Ingredients

1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (Muir Glen makes an excellent product.)

1 7-oz can green chiles, chopped (or one large 6 inch or two smaller anaheim chiles, roasted under a broiler or directly on a gas stove burner so that the outer skin has completely blackened. Put into a brown paper bag for a few minutes after roasting to loosen the blackened skin. Remove and discard the blackened skin. Remove the stem, seeds, and ribs. Chop.)

1 clove of garlic, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

2 green onions (scallions), chopped, including the green parts (about 1/3 cup)

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (can supplement with fresh)

1/4 cup of very loosely packed fresh chopped cilantro

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Method

1 Remove just the tomatoes from the can of whole tomatoes, place in a medium sized non-reactive mixing bowl. Using your fingers, or a fork and a sharp small knife, shred or break up the tomatoes.

2 Mix in chopped green chiles, green onions, garlic (or garlic salt), olive oil and vinegar. Add back in about 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce from the can of whole tomatoes. Sprinkle on about 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano. Mix in and taste. Adjust if needed. Add cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.

Refrigerate when not using. Will keep several days. Makes 2-3 cups. Good luck.

Does anyone have a recipe for tomato salsa, using canned chopped tomatoes if possible? Fresh tomatoes would be okay too.

Thanks,
Barbara from Bellingham, WA

Answers:

Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

The following seasonings add to taste: lemon pepper, adobo seasoning, and cilantro; I use about 1 T or a little more of this. Put all into the food processor. Very healthy. (04/11/2007)

Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

Fresh Tomato Salsa

Dice tomatoes and onions in large mixing bowl to save juices. Wash jalapenos, remove stems and seeds and dry with paper towels. Dice jalapenos and add tomatoes. Combine all other ingredients and chill about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and taste. If tomatoes are too tart, add a little sugar to cut the tartness. Chill about 30 minutes more to blend flavors and serve. (04/11/2007)

By penpal

Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

Great recipe, my friends love it. Enjoy.
(04/13/2007)

By Eileen

Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

This is my mom's recipe. I make it all the time.

Mom's Homemade Salsa

Chop cilantro and green onions, set aside. Boil jalapenos for 7 minutes then immediately put into ice water. Dry off jalapenos and chop in chopper. Add tomatoes to blender and puree. Pour tomatoes into a big bowl and add cilantro, green onions, jalapeno, and spices. Mix well.

For mild salsa, add only 2 jalapenos.

(04/13/2007)

By Tina

Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

I got this recipe from a local PBS station.

Camp Howdy Salsa
(Compliments of Cheryl and Bert Haralson)

Place garlic and water in blender. Pulse until garlic is finely chopped. Add next 5 ingredients and pulse (very important to pulse and not have blender on continuously.) Continue to pulse until well chopped. Add chopped cilantro. Mix well. Pour in container, refrigerate until cool. Serve with favorite chips.
(04/13/2007)

By Linda

Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

Hi Barbara, I love that part of the northwest. I lived in WA for about 20 years, in and around Mt Vernon, Burlington, Sedro-Wooley and Concrete. Wish I had stayed there. This recipe came from a friend in Mt Vernon.

Tomato Salsa

Chop tomatoes, onion, and pepper. Chop hot pepper with cloves of garlic. Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring often. Turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Process as you would when canning tomatoes. Makes 5 pints. Hope you like it.

Ellen
(04/13/2007)

By msettamae2

Tomato Salsa Using Canned Tomatoes

I cheat; I purchase from Tastefully Simple you can find them on line. You just add 1/4 cup to one can of tomatoes. You can make it as strong or as weak as you want it. (04/17/2007)