Browsing: Making Sparkleball Decorations

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Sparkleball Decorations

Sparkle balls are lighted holiday decorations you can make quickly and economically at home. This page contains information for making sparkleball decorations.

Photo of a pink sparkle ball Christmas Decoration.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 8, 2008 Flag

Photo of a pink sparkle ball Christmas Decoration.I had so much trouble locating directions on the internet for making a "solo" cup light ball that I just created my own free website that gives easy to follow step-by-step instructions. I call them sparkleballs. These balls cost under $10 to make (if the season is right for buying Christmas mini-lights) and they can be used to decorate showers, weddings, parties, teen's rooms; as well as at Christmas. I know of one family who is making them to raise money for a friend's heart transplant. So, I don't own this idea. I just decided to provide as much information on the how-to of it as I can as a small public service. These balls have given me so much joy, I just wanted to share. Every craft website I visit has people looking for the directions, so here you go!

My website is http://www.sparkleball.com (it has lots of photos). Once again, I earn nothing from this. It is all free and in the spirit of thrifty crafting. If you'd like to share a photo of your creation, please let me know. I'm just a fanatic, fascinated by this American craft. Thanks for sharing!

Sparkleball Lady from San Diego, CA

Editor's Note: This looked so easy and pretty that we decided to make one for the site. It took about an hour but the next ones will go faster. The cups cost about $5.00 for 2 packs of 40 (you need 50), but you could probably get them in bulk for cheaper. We had the lights on hand but basic 100 strand light strings are usually only a dollar or two. We also needed to buy a cheap soldering iron, which was $8.00, but you might have one already.

The instructions on the site are detailed and have step by step photos. Here are a couple of helpful hints that we figured out along the way:

That's it, they are very sparkly and impressive when completed. The finished light is about the size of a small beach ball (about 13 inches in diameter). The lower photo is with the lights on, so you can see more detail.

December 5, 2008 Flag

No melt sparkleballsI've been making sparkleballs for years. But this year I've finally discovered an excellent no-melt method for putting the holiday light balls together-- thanks to my new husband, Steve! A fan of www.sparkleball.com sent me her instructions for using soft cups and a hole puncher to build the sparkleball. She then used bits of wire to attach the cups together. But crafty Steve gave me a package of zip-ties, and the result was brilliant. The No-Melt Sparkleball is perfect for children!

By Sparkleball Lady from San Diego CA

View This Page

This page is not on ThriftyFun, but we had to share it. Be sure to come back and rate it.

December 14, 2007 Flag

I need help with completing my first Sparkle Ball. It was fun to make, but I need to know more about the hanger. Pictures suggest an S hook on each end of a chain. What does the S hook within the ball hook onto?
I assume you wouldn't want to hook it to a wire.

Bruce from Mercedes, TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

At a hardware store, you can get little rings that have a screw on the end. I don't know what they're called, but you can find them with the picture hanging stuff. Just screw it into the ball, and you can hook an s- hook into it!

I just found this site! It sounds like fun. I would like a description and directions for this. THANKS a bunch.

Editor's Note: Here is a link to the Sparkleball article on ThriftyFun.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf82354075.tip.html

I have been making these the last couple weeks and fishing line works great. It is thin enough that it slips right into the holes left by the soldering iron at the base of the cups. If you need to use S-hooks you should make sure you burn one hole large enough for the end of the hook.

January 27, 2011 Flag

I am looking for information on making an eco plastic cup snowman. Please help.

By Ralla from CA

December 20, 2007 Flag

Sparkle ball variant.My husband made this snowman for his holiday potluck at work. Everyone loved it.

It was much harder than a regular sparkleball, but still doable. We just used an old hat and scarf that we had around the house, but you could really decorate it up if you wanted to.

If you want to see our previous article about sparkleballs, click on the link below. They are so much more beautiful in person than the photos show.

By Jess in OR

Crafts Christmas DecorationsJuly 30, 2012
Spring floral wall bucket using artificial flowers.
Homemade Spring Decorations
Baby Shower
Homemade Baby Shower Decorations
Indoor Halloween Pumpkin and Leaf Decoration
Indoor Halloween Decorations
Santa gourds.
Homemade Christmas Decorations
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:32:32 PM on 10.0.0.143 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.