Making Yo Yo Christmas Trees
Christmas fabric yo yos can be used to make a variety of Christmas tree craft projects. This is a guide about making yo yo Christmas trees.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here is another cute yo yo Christmas tree project, for the yo yo enthusiast. You can make one or a whole grove.
Total Time: 1.5 hours to assemble 4, not including making yo yos
- pieces of recycled cardboard packaging or file folders for templates
- assorted cotton Christmas fabric
- 1 6 mm wooden dowel
- 1 3mm dowel for smaller tree
- 4 wooden craft spools
- hot glue gun
- small saw - hack saw
- shoe polish, paint, or other stain
- drafting compass
- Cut 18 circle templates ranging in size from 220mm down to 50 mm, in 10 mm increments. I used a compass to draw the circles.
- Cut 18 yo yos using paper templates.
- Make yo yos. Follow this link for a short tutorial on making yo yos: Making Fabric Yo Yos
Related Content(article continues below)
- Use brown shoe polish to stain spools for the tree trunks. You may paint the spools using acrylic craft paint or leave natural.
- Snip a small hole in the yo yo, through the center of the gathered opening, into the ungathered side.
- Begin to slide yo yos onto the dowel through the snipped hole. Continue adding yo yos until only the smallest remains.
- Glue the smallest yo yo the the tip of the dowel, a bit of glue can also be applied to the yo yo below.
- Slide the spool onto the dowel and mark the cutting line on the dowel.
- Using a small saw cut the dowel to the correct length.
- Glue dowel into spool.
- You are done. Make as many of these cute little trees as you like to create a little grove or to give as gifts. You could also attach a ribbon hanger to them to use as Christmas tree ornaments.
Read More Comments
December 17, 20160 found this helpful
220, 210, 200, 190, 180, 170, 160, 150, 140, 130, 120, 110, 100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50...Those are the measurements for the 18 templates.
January 30, 20170 found this helpful
Covering a Styrofoam or paper cone with seasonal fabric yo yos is a fun way to make a Christmas tree decoration to grace your table or to brighten up a room for the holidays. This is a guide about yo yo Christmas tree.Read More...
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Can someone please help me find this large wooden spool used in this Christmas tree? Spool Yo Yo Tree. I would prefer to buy in bulk/wholesale.
Thank you in advance :)
August 21, 20150 found this helpful
When I made this craft I purchased the spools in a small bag from Joann Fabrics and Crafts. Michael's also carries them. As to buying them wholesale there are a number of vendors on the internet that offer them.
In These Guides
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on March 24, 2017 at 6:19:30 AM on 10.0.0.228 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us