Making Yo Yo Christmas Trees
Christmas fabric yo yos can be used to make a variety of Christmas tree craft projects. This is a guide about making yo yo Christmas trees.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Read 5 Comments
Here is another cute yo yo Christmas tree project, for the yo yo enthusiast. You can make one or a whole grove.
Total Time: 1.5 hours to assemble 4, not including making yo yos
- pieces of recycled cardboard packaging or file folders for templates
- assorted cotton Christmas fabric
- 1 6 mm wooden dowel
- 1 3mm dowel for smaller tree
- 4 wooden craft spools
- hot glue gun
- small saw - hack saw
- shoe polish, paint, or other stain
- drafting compass
- Cut 18 circle templates ranging in size from 220mm down to 50 mm, in 10 mm increments. I used a compass to draw the circles.
- Cut 18 yo yos using paper templates.
- Make yo yos. Follow this link for a short tutorial on making yo yos: Making Fabric Yo Yos
- Use brown shoe polish to stain spools for the tree trunks. You may paint the spools using acrylic craft paint or leave natural.
- Snip a small hole in the yo yo, through the center of the gathered opening, into the ungathered side.
Related Content(article continues below)
- Begin to slide yo yos onto the dowel through the snipped hole. Continue adding yo yos until only the smallest remains.
- Glue the smallest yo yo the the tip of the dowel, a bit of glue can also be applied to the yo yo below.
- Slide the spool onto the dowel and mark the cutting line on the dowel.
- Using a small saw cut the dowel to the correct length.
- Glue dowel into spool.
- You are done. Make as many of these cute little trees as you like to create a little grove or to give as gifts. You could also attach a ribbon hanger to them to use as Christmas tree ornaments.
I love making yo yos while watching TV. They are a great way of using up fabric scraps or can be made from fabric purchased especially for your yo yo craft project. I decided to use some left over yo yos from my Christmas garland to begin this project.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 17, 2017 at 7:23:42 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us