Making Your Own Baking Mixes

Mixing a baking mix.
You can prepare your own fresh basic mixes for convenient quick mixing and baking. This guide is about making your own baking mixes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

Basic Baking Mix

Ingredients

• 5 lbs. flour
  • 2 cups dry milk
  • 2/3 cup baking powder
  • 3 Tbsp. salt
  • 2 1/2 cups shortening

Directions

Mix all dry ingredients. Divide into 2 bowls if necessary to mix. Cut in shortening. Store in airtight container. Stir before using.

To use basic mix:

Biscuits - Use as is and add enough water to make soft dough. 1 Tbsp. of sugar if desired

Dumplings - Use as is. Drop soft dough into boiling broth or stew. Cook 20 minutes uncovered and 10 minutes covered.

Cobbler - Add 4 Tbsp. sugar to 1 cup of mix and 1/2 cup water. Spread over fruit which has been thickened with cornstarch and sweetened to taste. Dot fruit with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon, according to the kind of fruit.

Coffee Cake - 2 cups of mix, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 2 tsp. cinnamon, water to make a soft dough. Spread in greased pan and top with streusel topping. 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, 2 Tbsp. soft margarine and 1/4 cup of flour. Mix well.

Cookies - 2 cups of mix, 1 egg, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup shortening. Add raisins, nuts, cinnamon or cocoa as desired. Drop on greased cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees F.

By Leanna from Dayton PA

I make homemade food mixes and store them in half gallon or gallon jars. Using a rubber band, I keep the recipe attached to the jar. The next time I have to make another batch, the recipe is readily available. Also, on the cards I have the cooking/baking instructions and any special notes. Keeping the recipes readily available makes it easier and faster for me to make the mixes.

I also do this for any homemade cleaning mixes that I use in my home.

By mkymlp from NE PA

When I'm making pancakes, cornbread, cakes, cookies, etc., I take a gallon size zip lock bag and make an extra batch, putting all of the dry ingredients in the bag. On the outside, I write the name of the recipe along with the liquid ingredients and baking or cooking instructions, with a black permanent marker. This way, I always have a bag ready to go for those times when I'm in a hurry. The bags are reusable, so I just refill them when I have time. I keep them in my pantry, clipped together at the top with a large chip clip, so they are easy to flip through when I need one.

By Teresa from Louisville, KY

I am looking for a recipe for making your own baking mix, such as Jiffy or Bisquick?

Recipe using all-purpose flour:

9 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tablespoons salt

1/4 cup baking powder

2 cups solid vegetable shortening

Recipe using self-rising flour:

10 cups self-rising flour (this already has salt and baking powder added to it)

2 cups solid vegetable shortening

For either recipe mix until crumbly, store in airtight container.

Peg

I found out is cheaper to buy a box of baking mix from Aldi for 99 cents. It is good size box and has two interior bags to keep it fresh longer. I dont use it constantly so this works out better for me. With the price of the individual ingredients lately, it is something to think about.

I agree I guess it depends on how much you use this if in the long run it's cheaper to buy than make anymore it's gotten to were it is almost cheaper to buy pre made on a lot of items. isn't that sad?

Here is a recipe I saved for "Master Mix" from Mary Hunt's Everyday Cheapskate website. You can substitute Master Mix for any recipe calling for Bisquick, substituting water for any milk required in the recipe and vice versa. I must admit though that I've never personally tried it.

MASTER MIX

5 pounds all-purpose flour

2-1/2 cups dry milk

3/4 cup double acting baking powder

2 tablespoons cream of tartar

3 tablespoons salt

1/2 cup sugar

4-2/3 cups solid vegetable shortening

Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening until mix looks like cornmeal. Store at room temperature in Tupperware. Makes 30 cups.

8-1/2 cups all purpose flour,1Tablespoon baking powder,1 Tablespoon salt, 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon baking soda,1-1/2 cups nonfat dry milk and 2- 1/4 cups vegetable shortening.

In a large bowl sift all dry ingredients together. Blend well. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed.Mixture will resemble cornmeal in texture.Put in a large airtight container and label it. Store in a cool dry place. Use within 10 to 12 weeks. Makes about 13 cups. Use as you would Bisquick or Jiffy Mix.