Making Your Own Bread Crumbs

Do you make your own bread crumbs? This is frugal cooking at its best. Make fresh bread crumbs from stale bread OR from toasted bread by placing torn bread into the bowl of a food processor or using a blender.

If all else fails, put in a bowl and use your hand mixer and blend until the crumbs are fine or the desired consistency. I suggest now is the time to add favorite seasonings such as onion or garlic powder with some dried parsley. Store in a resealable bag in the freezer for up to 6 months and have handy any time you have a need. Please note, you do not have to defrost the bread crumbs if they are totally dried before freezing.

By kittyhassparkle from Tacoma, WA

Answers:

Making Your Own Bread Crumbs

You can use a hand grater, too. Dried bread is the easiest, but even fresh bread will break up this way. I save mine for stuff like meat loaf and breaded zucchini. With my own bread crumbs, I can control the amount of salt that goes into the food -- really nice if you've got high blood pressure or heart disease. (11/02/2005)

By Coreen

Making Your Own Bread Crumbs

I use the food processor and, as the bread (or cornflakes) are crumbling, I add a little virgin olive oil. I find this easier than adding oil or butter to the top of the chicken pieces, etc, it helps the crumbs stick without having to dip in egg first too. for fish "Shake 'n Bake." I add a little lemon juice and lemon thyme and a little celtic salt. For chicken, I add savory and poultry seasoning and a little celtic salt. I put crumbs in clean milk cartons in the freezer, (I don't freeze in plastic any more). I wash out all my "cardboard" milk, cream , ice cream, etc. cartons out and use them I freeze stews, chili, steakes, fish , chicken pieces etc all in these cartons now . (06/17/2008)

By savedone

Homemade Bread Crumbs
Homemade Bread Crumbs
Bowl of bread crumbs surrounded by old bread
Making Dry Bread Crumbs
Cracker Crumbs on Wooden Cutting Board
Using Cracker Crumbs
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
🎉
🎄